As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Been given 2 months notice on house!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
God has decided that not only will he give me car trouble and a garage who are flat out refusing to get work started on my car (see other thread), he's also got our landlady to serve us notice.

So we have 2 months to move out (Well, 18th August). This is when our 6 month contract comes up anyway. Now she's served us with this notice, what happens if we want to move out sooner. Do we have to pay to the end of the two months? Or can we move and pay to the date we shift?

Say we found a place half way through July and they wouldn't be willing to hold it for us till August, could we move out there and then in July and just pay up to that date, being it's her that's given us notice?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    depends on what is written in the lease and in the notice - although I'd be willing to bet you could be held responsible for the money through the end of the lease. Notices like that aren't uncommon - it's just a legal and straightforward way for them to inform you that they do not plan on renewing your lease - either they don't want you back or they have someone else signed up to take the place over.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The landlady wants to move back in, she's been in Africa for 6 months. I'm hoping they'll be keen-ish to get us out so we can negotiate something.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, if the landlord wanted to hold you to your original lease, you would be obliged to pay the full rent amount, whether you're there or not. She would not be allowed to rent out the space, or move back in, as it would still be yours though. However, it sounds like that she wants to get back in sooner rather than later, so I'm betting you'll be able to work something out.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, sounds like you should be able to talk to her and work it out if she wants to move back in and you find a place to go to

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    goodwatastgoodwatast Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    You should check the laws for your state. In MA, the laws are very much designed to protect the tenant. I know for a fact that if you decide to break your lease in MA, the landlord is required to make a good faith effort in order to find another tenant ("You are legally obligated to pay your rent until the end of the lease. However, if you need to move out before the end of the lease, in most circumstances the landlord has a duty to help reduce your damages by looking for another tenant to replace you." --see the link at the end).

I'm not sure how that would change if you've been given a notice that your lease will not be renewed. It probably doesn't protect you from damages, and the landlord probably won't help you find a new tenant since she's moving in.

Again, I don't know where you live. In MA, my town has a person set up to handle renters grievances. USE YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! Call your city hall, make some inquiries, and if that doesn't get you anywhere call your ward representative or city councillor. At lower levels, your government representatives really do want to help, but they can only do so if you ask. It's worth the time and effort! They can give you great advice!

For MA, here's the relevant link: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Housing+Information&L3=Tenant+%26+Landlord&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=tenants_rights_and_responsibilities&csid=Eoca

Good luck!

goodwatast on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm UK but cheers for the advice. I'm going to speak to the letting agency so I'll update the thread, just on the off chance anyone else gets stuck in the same position!

Tonight I have decided that what with everything building up recently, the best course of action is to drink lots of whisky and play Guitar Hero.

Thus far I feel much less stressed.

Mr_Grinch on