As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

web development issue, I believe I am fucking IE6 with bad code...

designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
First, I'm only really at a novice level when it comes to my development skills, and I've been getting advice from many different sources. I'm well aware my code probably isn't very professional looking right now.

However, I'd like you help when it comes to a specific problem I'm having with this site:

http://factory.webgoblin.net/schostak/interior.html

and how it displays in IE6.

I have it looking how I want it to look in IE7, Firefox and Safari. I know that IE6 requires different approaches and hacks at times, but I've never come across a site that got so completely broken from one browser to another.

I think it has something to do the method I'm using to center the structural divs, (#wrapper, #shell,#mainContent?) or with the Navigation.

I'm kind of lost, so I'm sorry if I'm not being more specific. I'll be checking this thread pretty frequently.

Any advice you could give me as to where you think I might be going wrong, how my code looks, or anything of that nature would be very helpful.

Feel free to blast me, I'm more interested in learning what I did wrong and not making the same mistakes in the future.

sig_uso.jpg
designMcGee on

• Options
    krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    First thought when looking at the css: you use a weird method of horizontal centering, which makes the menu disappear and unreachable on very small windows.

Instead of
    	position:absolute;
    	left:50%;
    	margin-left: -455px;
    	width:910px;
    	background:url(images/bg_fade.gif) no-repeat;
    	float:left;

try
    	width:910px;
    	margin:0 auto;
    	background:url(images/bg_fade.gif) no-repeat;

krl on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, you can try conditional comments too.

See "underscore hack" for IE6 and "asterix hack" for IE7.

Welcome to the wonderful world of garbage browsers.

Site looks nice, by the way!

powerss on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Microsoft is slowly sniping away at the selector bugs in IE7.

Conditional comments are the safer, albeit more annoying way to go.

Server side browser detection is the real way to go if you are fighting serious wars with browser compatability.. but your site doesn't appear to require that.

I guess you were using that left: 50%, and negative left margin to center your page? but left: and margin-left: are redundant attributes so IE6 was likely not able to resolve it as well as IE7.

The above posted margin:0 auto; is the way to go.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is awesome.
    IE7 is a JavaScript library to make IE behave like a standards-compliant browser. It fixes many CSS issues and makes transparent PNG work correctly under IE5 and IE6

krl on