As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LTTP] Suikoden

• Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I... I think I have to replay number 2 now.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay so, thanks to SimBen, I'm replaying Suikoden 1 as well. This time I will actually all 108 stars, then go onto Suikoden II.

I also plan on buying III and V this summer. Fuck I missed Suikoden 1, so awesome.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm at Kwanda Rosman's castle now.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dammit! Suikoden was my first RPG ever and I loved the hell out of it, Suikoden II was even better. Now I have to replay them both :p

Is it worth getting a PS2 just to play Suiko 3, 4 and 5? Might as well get a PS3 though I guess. Do any of the PS2 Suikos have anything that resembles cooking battles? God those were fun!

djFindus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just got to the Cave to the Past.

Ahh, good memories. I'm trying out different parties, too!

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suiko 1 playthrough update:
    Finished the 2nd major battle, and Im currently wandering the area before going to the prison.

I spent 30 minutes just doing the dice game to earn money for a full armor setup for my party after getting the armorer guy.

Now I just need to get enough money to get my guys from level 9-12 on their weapons.

I do like playing this on the PS3. Saves ALOT of time in the whole resetting the game after a major loss in the dice game. Just hit the PS button, quit game, then restart game. No more having to get up and hit the fucking reset button. :D:D God damn I am lazy.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm almost tempted to go back and play Suikoden I/II again, but then I remember all the little bits of it that annoyed me, and I think better of it.

I am having fun coming up with final party ideas, though. Although I only get two free spaces in my Suikoden I ideal party, since Flik and Viktor force their way in and there's something wrong with me and I can't get rid of Sarah. :|

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I used Kai, Tengaar and Luc. Luc with a Cyclone Rune is super-useful for the last boss, and Kai was a mainstay through the whole game (motherfucker is good with his stick), and Tengaar just because. :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's surprising how many characters are actually useful in the first one.

I used Kimberly one playthrough -- the chick you recruit to get into the prison. Not a crazy high attack (though not terrible), but her TEC is amazing. I stuck a Killer Rune on her and she was critting almost every turn she took.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Tiger-Tiger- Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, reading this thread makes me want to fire up Suikoden 2 again.

Maybe i'll try a speedrun.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden V just showed up from Gamefly... anyone got a link to a decent (and hopefully minimal spoiler) guide to get the 108 stars?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tiger- wrote: »
    Man, reading this thread makes me want to fire up Suikoden 2 again.

Maybe i'll try a speedrun.

I'd like to do a run where I get all 108 stars but I'm too stubborn to consult a FAQ. I have pages and pages in a notebook that list how I got characters or where I found items.

Which reminds me that when I was in 10th grade i had some free time at school so I sat down and made a list of characters from SUikoden I in the order that you get them complete with where and how you get them. I got to over 70+ before I finally stopped. That was sad. :|

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So I decided to start a speedrun on Suikoden 2; don't know if i will ever finish it but i'll like to try.
    Being a Tool Assisted Speedrun enthusiast i'll finish the game abusing every glitch and time saver that I find.

I will aim only for the 108 stars, getting the window and sound sets, the recipes, the seeds, the parts for the sculpture and everything else that is collectable is not part of the run.

Let's see how it goes.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Suikoden V just showed up from Gamefly... anyone got a link to a decent (and hopefully minimal spoiler) guide to get the 108 stars?

Here's the closest I can find, it's a list of all the stars in the order you can recruit them:

http://www.suikosource.com/system/games/sod.php?pf=S5

However, it's not perfect since it doesn't tell you about anything you have to do early in the game to recruit someone later.

Minor spoiler tips for characters I missed on my first playthrough:
    Murad: Murad tries to save civilians from the war. Every time there's a strategic battle involving a town, Murad will show up to treat the wounded for a short while afterwards. Use these opportunities to try to convince him that he can save more lives helping you then treating wounded. After you ask enough he'll give in and join you.

Oboro: The Detective. At one point you hire him as part of the plot, but if you just go on with the plot he wont want to join you later. Instead, immediately after you hire him, go into a tavern in rainwall to trigger a cutscene, then choose to help Oboro with the investigation. If you impress him (make the right choices) he'll be willing to join you later. Hint: Don't ask about the mouse.

Eresh: Eresh can be recruited normally, and doing so unlocks a very good dungeon to grind for sp and money. However, if you don't recruit her, you can recruit a secret character near the end of the game. You can get the 108 stars ending either way, but the secret character has a greater involvement in the plot.

Bremen on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread convinced me to replay Suikoden V. This is only furthering my decision that it is my favorite PS2 game.

Spoilers regarding the characters I'm using/intend to use, though theres nothing major anyway.
    This game just has so many good choices. Right now I'm using Kyle, Zegai, Nikea, and Lorelai. Lorelai will probably soon be dropped for some form of magician (maybe Bernadette or Killey, since Viki can't use a Magic Absorb Rune), and then Zegai will probably go for a better attacker, maybe Richard. It's very difficult to actually settle on anything.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I've never even attempted to get all 108 stars without using a guide for at least some reference points. The idea of even attempting it boggles my mind. Some of those dudes in Suiko 1 and 2 at least were obscure as hell. (I'm looking at you Clive in Suiko 1)

Edit: Whoops wrong C character

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So far so good.
    Thanks to Suikoden 1 i have all the returning characters with extra stats, so started the game, owned Rowd's little group and jumped to the waterfall.
    Flashback. Viktor, Flik HI.
    Moved some crates, cleaned the floor and got to Ryube to get some flour.
    First save point says:
    9min 53secs

I don't know if there's a way to skip the flashback scene.
    Also, i strip Gengen and Tuta and sell everything to upgrade Pillars's(that's the name i give to the Hero) weapon.

Edit: Is it okay for me to update this thread with the info of my attempted speedrun?
    I think it might be considered offtopic. =/
    Bleh, maybe i should post a topic on SDA.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, so I have a Suiko 1 save that's at the 10 hour point. I didn't load it up, but I'm debating whether to beat the end of Suiko 1 first before I play 2 again? What do you get for having a Suik 1 save?

Disco Bandit on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can
    Recruit the main character from Suiko 1. He's pretty fucking awesome to have in your party, and the quest to get him is really neat. Also there are like some stat bonus for characters who were in Suiko 1 or something.

Really, I recommend beating Suiko 1 again first, just because it's far from a particularly long RPG and it is also completely awesome.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. My guys are around level 46 in Suik 1. Anyone know where I should be about, assuming I didn't powerlevel anywhere? I assume I'd be very near the end.

Disco Bandit on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. My guys are around level 46 in Suik 1. Anyone know where I should be about, assuming I didn't powerlevel anywhere? I assume I'd be very near the end.

You'll be 59-60 at the very end.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well crap. I'm trying to find a gameshark code to put McDohl into my party in S2. I think I must have used one before, because in my last playthrough McDohl was named mcDohl, but I always name my S1 hero as Ryan (fyi, there is a glitch in McDohl's name in S2. The first letter of his name is the same as the first letter you named him in S1 -- so if you named him Jim, his name in S2 would be JcDohl).

Disco Bandit on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suiko I playthrough update:
    Just beat Neclord.

That was always one of my favorite storyline stretches in Suikoden I. Definetely fleshed out Viktor's character alot, and he was one of my favorites.

I decided to call it a night after getting back to the HQ from that one.

I think Im at about 90ish on the stars right now, but I havent gone on a star run since that event, so I know 3 or 4 more are available now.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If you have 90 stars, you can get:
    Clive
    Leon Silverburg
    Pesmerga
    Crowley(best character ever!)

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just started S1, beat the Golem after getting the Prosperity rune in Sarady.

Disco Bandit on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Leon Silverburg
    Man he was a pain in the ass. I missed him twice before I looked up a FAQ and played through a third time. IIRC you only had a short space between two events, and you had to bring an letter from someone too. The next time I saw him in S2 I hated his guts immediately before I even knew what he was up to.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Update:
    Escaped with Jowy, went to Ryube to pick up Eilie, Rina and Bolgan.
    Sold Bolgan's Jinzo and bought armor.
    Equipped all the scrolls and went to the mountain.
    Ran from everything and owned the boss in 2 rounds.
    Got Mukumuku, Nanami and Zamza.

I'm about to glitch my way to Matilda and make the first half of the game a joke.
    Save point at Toto Village says:
    39''01

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hey guys, sorry for no updates in the past few days, truth is I've been pretty busy. Most of the time I'm not at work is spent with my family, because they're just starting to be on vacation and they're always "HEY LET'S GO OUT TO EAT TONIGHT", and the rest of the time I'm too tired because I always gotta get up early because of work and argh.

Though I have a 3-day weekend starting tomorrow (I work from Tuesdays to Sundays, and tomorrow is Quebec's national holiday), so I should be able to make SOME progress. Though if there's a thing that tends to make families go "HEY LET'S SPEND SOME TIME TOGETHER", it's national holidays.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just a thought, and I wanted to shoot it at some of the Suiko fans here:

Would you like the game if you always had forced parties of different variety? I think that instead of making most of the playable 108 characters useless is worse compared to making each one useful. I liked this feature in S1, like when you were forced to have Krin and Kasumi in your party in Moravia, or Tai Ho and Yam Koo to get Anji, Kanak, and Leonardo. I think, if I remember right, S2 and S4 didn't have much in the way of forced parties. I'm not sure about S3 or S5, but I think they're probably on the same route too. I dunno, it's just a lot of fun to have manage with weaker characters, making future boss battles a lot harder than they would be otherwise, or dungeons more difficult.

I think that should be a feature in S6, even if it may illicit many complaints.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Glitched to Matilda and recruited Humprhey and Futch. They both are at endgame levels (57).
    Fighthing the monsters and boss at Mount Rakutei got my party to 36.
    Bought expensive armor for the Hero and Nanami, collected the Dragon Armor on Greenhill-Rockaxe pass and got and attached the Fury runes + elemental runes at Muse City.
    Recruited Zamza, Rikimaru, Millie, Tsai, Kinninson, Shiro, Apple, Hana.
    Got the Bright Shield rune and im about to face the boss of the Sindar Ruins.

Save point at Sindar Ruins says:
    2'07''04

Thanks to the Humprhey, Futch sidequest everysingle boss dies in 1 or 2 turns from here until Luca Blight.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yuber was another recurring character who I loved seeing in more than one game.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OKAY, it's now Monday afternoon, and I have many hours ahead of me with nothing planned, so I will FINALLY RESUME PLAYING SUIKODEN II.

Where was I. Oh yeah, I'm to go talk to Viktor in Muse.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You know, while attempting my speed run sometimes I start reading instead of pressing X like a madman, then realize I have wasted like 5-10 minutes reading about how awesome the runes are or whatnot.
    Also when prompted to make a decision I try to select them all to see which one is the quickest and I get rewarded with extra dialogue I didn't knew it was there.

Awesome.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Grah. HOW obvious does Suikoden II make it when one of the characters dies in a major battle? 'cause Flik just went down saying "I wasn't supposed to die here!", which I'm at a loss to interpret.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Grah. HOW obvious does Suikoden II make it when one of the characters dies in a major battle? 'cause Flik just went down saying "I wasn't supposed to die here!", which I'm at a loss to interpret.

It should say something like "Flik has fallen in battle" which means he is dead.

Although I think Flik can't die, cause that would make the Story not work.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Klyka wrote: »

It should say something like "Flik has fallen in battle" which means he is dead.

Although I think Flik can't die, cause that would make the Story not work.

Alright. Also, if I see anyone talking after they've fallen, is that clear indication that they're not dead? Are dead characters removed from the story as well as gameplay?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'd like to take a moment and gawk all over the sprite animations in the game. Viktor is drinking wine with Anabelle right now, and there's a bunch of really nice animations that were made just for that scene that will probably never be used again, and the game is FULL of stuff like that.

Bravo, Konami.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WAIT WHAT JOWY WHY

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, the game is full of really great animations. just wait till you see all the stuff happening in your base.

and regarding your spoiler: nice plot twist, eh?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Are dead characters removed from the story as well as gameplay?

If a character is important to the plot he or she cannot die in a war battle.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png