As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Chef 3: ITT All of us are dissapointed.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Interesting blog entires by Chef Anthony Bourdain about Top Chef, and last night's episode:

http://www.bravotv.com/blog/anthonybourdain/

Also, the best one is from last week's episode, where the whole blog is basically spent dissing guest judge Rocco. Wish he could have written more stuff from past weeks, but he's just filling in for Tom.

Holy Shit, Anthony Bourdain takes Rocco to fucking school.

I used to not like Bourdain. My opinion has been changed. He is right though. Joey may be a loud mouth hot head, but he does run one of the best restaurants in one of the toughest towns to run a restaurant in. Joey just didn't seem to be good at going from nothing to gourmet food in 60min, which is not what running a real restaurant is like. You do get to play around with stuff, and change things if it's not quite right.

Hunter on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    HELLS KITCHEN FINALE TONIGHT, YOU DONKEYS

:D

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I am almost certain Canadian Bravo does not have this on. Instead I think we have season 2 on Food Network.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rocco is a total fucking tool. He came off as incredibly sexist, incompetent and unskilled on his NBC show, which amused me every time I caught an episode on Bravo. Wouldn't you behave yourself if your career depended on it?

EDIT:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Lab rats and domestic pets, after sticking an appendage into a light socket, usually refrain from doing so again. Yet Hung, week after week, after taking a full dose of house current, jams his nether regions directly into the fuse box. How hard was it to win this challenge?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pb on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kind of a weird episode. I would have gladly sent Howie home for his awful risotto which was bad on purpose, but the other team had enough issues that it would have been unfair to declare them the winners. It was pretty clear that the candles were going to be a problem when the one team stressed not having scented ones and then they cut to Dale enthusiastically grabbing the vanilla ones. Restaurant April's food was a lot less memorable for me (or maybe they just focussed on The Garage more).

Not a good episode for Tre. His burger was in the bottom two AND he messed up so badly on what looked like a spectacular dish. If he knew about Colicchio's idea of carving the beef at the tables I am sure they would have scored a few more points for service.

Way too many seafood burgers. Howie is going crazy with the truffle butter.

Did anybody catch the face Hung made when Howie was talking about how he will always go for the braised/rich dishes? It probably took all of his strength not to crack a fat joke right then.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i don't see how Howie is still there. and YES, oh man, I was soooo expecting someone (really I was thinking Coliccio would) to make a fat joke about the braised/rich dishes. Poor Tre... he and CJ and Dale are my favorites. I guess nobody really looked good this episode.

I actually rarely think I'd enjoy much of the food from the Restaurant episodes. They're almost always bad, no matter what the chefs think or prepare for it. Still entertaining though.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    neville wrote: »
    HELLS KITCHEN FINALE TONIGHT, YOU DONKEYS

:D

thank god rock won. i had grown really convinced that ramsay was going to think with his dick and give the restaurant to bonnie even though rock was clearly the most deserving contestant from the first day.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    he was and i liked him, but at the end he got too cocky/assholish
    but yeah, i guess he was better

but a nanny/personal chef getting 2nd is still great
    julia fucked her over though, imo

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I think not prepping enough materials for her signature dish, having Julia get mouthy and Bonnie just snit fit back at her instead of telling her to just do her fucking job, and having undercooked prawns sent back from a customer who then had to choose another dish because there were no prawns left is what screwed Bonnie.

Rock was cocky because he was good at what he did. Bonnie did outstanding for being a personal chef who watches kids once in a while. With some training and a few years practice, she'll be running a restaurant easily.

After Julia's bitchy cry fest, Gordon Ramsay should have revoked his offer to pay her way through Culinary School. Jen or Brad weren't all bitchy like that, and they actually had a real chance at winning.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hunter wrote: »

I think not prepping enough materials for her signature dish, having Julia get mouthy and Bonnie just snit fit back at her instead of telling her to just do her fucking job, and having undercooked prawns sent back from a customer who then had to choose another dish because there were no prawns left is what screwed Bonnie.

Rock was cocky because he was good at what he did. Bonnie did outstanding for being a personal chef who watches kids once in a while. With some training and a few years practice, she'll be running a restaurant easily.

After Julia's bitchy cry fest, Gordon Ramsay should have revoked his offer to pay her way through Culinary School. Jen or Brad weren't all bitchy like that, and they actually had a real chance at winning.

bonnie just didn't show any leadership abilities. rock had some serious problems with josh, but he asserted his authority and got shit done. bonnie just sort of zoned out and wouldn't talk to anyone. the problem with her being given a restaurant is that she's not very good at getting people to do what she needs them to. she just didn't show any leadership abilities.

i really gained a lot of respect for brad after that service. he seemed like a quality guy.

i was also impressed by the fact that josh really is just a bad cook and it wasn't the pressure of the competition getting to him or anything. given some time away, he came back and was just as bad as he was when he left.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm glad Rock one. I'm also now 3 for 3 on picking the winner from the first episode.

I also think Jen should have been in the final against Rock. Bonnie was a nice girl and all, but Jen clearly had more experience and skill behind her.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    this is the second straight year where ramsay eliminated a more deserving contestant for a more attractive one

there is nothing in this world that will convince me he was not banging bonnie/last year's second place chick.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    this is the second straight year where ramsay eliminated a more deserving contestant for a more attractive one

there is nothing in this world that will convince me he was not banging bonnie/last year's second place chick.

After the guys team lost the challenge with the photo shoot I could tell that it wasn't all being based on the food. Rock was right to be pissed about that.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't seen the new episode yet as I was teaching a band camp all week. I'll be sure to comment as soon as I do so.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, so I finally saw last week's episode. Are they joking? Someone had to be the worst, I can't imagine everyone was so equal they couldn't make a decision. Also, don't they usually do this episode with only 6 people left? They're really going for the team challenges this season.

I was scared for Dale, though, I thought they were going to cut him for sure. Or both of the guys they called back. I was actually pretty nervous the entire episode as soon as the teams were decided.
    I feel that even though the food wasn't properly suited for the event, that Garage's stuff was more solid food all around. I was surprised, because I really hate everyone on that team with the exception of Dale. Silly that I'd root for a team because of just one person.

I guess we'll find out tonight, durka durr!!

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The best part of last week's episode was Hung's smirk when his team was being judged. He knew his stuff was decent enough to keep him safe, and he was so amused by all of Howie's excuses and retarded statements. Also, definitely feel they made a good choice not picking anyone, because these restaurant challenegs are always the highlight, so this way, they can have two of those episodes in one season. Man, I was worried Tre was going to get the ax, because that dude is definitely tops this season.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, not through the episode yet but thumbs up for the judges liking Dale's team. And saying that team April's meal was "the worst dish ever had." I'd be a little upset if Tre gets cut this ep though.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, not through the episode yet but thumbs up for the judges liking Dale's team. And saying that team April's meal was "the worst dish ever had." I'd be a little upset if Tre gets cut this ep though.

I won't get to see it for a while, but it seemed like the biggest issue they had with the garage last week was with the heavy risotto. The lamb (?) dish might have gone over better if he hadn't made that dish his "own way".

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh wow oh wow.
    Tre got the boot. Man, that sucks. He seemed to be the best chef there, and also the most chill dude on the show. But really, he was the executive chef, and so much went wrong for them. Booo.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    lostwords are you going to pax?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sadly no, can't take off from work. Maybe next year, alas. It starts tomorrow right? Have funsies.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh okay

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I guess I can respect how they got rid of
    Tre
    but I am struggling with how it was not CJ. I feel like in the past, they've kept people who did more or were more important to the team and booted the dead weight. I feel like CJ was the dead weight this week.

Also, if they were so bothered by Dale's attire, why didn't they say something to him? And if they did, why not air the two seconds it would've taken to say it? I know this isn't a big deal at all, but it got on my nerves a bit.

I really don't want Howie in my top three... but man, he has the most wins out of everyone left.
    My top three right now is Dale, Hung, and I need someone to replace
    Tre
    My theory on Casey has been shot to hell, so oh well with that. Maybe Brian?

Seeing as how there's apparently some more Howie drama in next week's episode, I feel they'll keep him around to piss us off even more.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, Howie needs to go go, right quick.

Another highlight of the episode was the surprise appearances by Stephen from season 1 and Lia, Camille, Joey, and Sarah N. from this season. Love love loved when Dale talked to Stephen about talking too much, and Stephen just had a look of utter disgust on his face. Wish they could have shown the kicked out contestants more. Lia is just so very hot and awesome.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Dale and Stephen's interaction. "I really hate it when people over-serve. But everything else is great!!"
    I also appreciate how Stephen keeps getting these montage clips of him talking too much every season.

I missed the beginning of the episode until now. What the hell is with Casey and these onions? I think I could do that better than her.

Oh well, good for you Team Quatre. They're like the team of "special kids" that got picked last all the time making their triumphant comeback. Howie's the fat kid, Dale's the gay kid, Sarah's the weirdo bitch with no friends who may talk to herself, Hung is the pedantic ethnic minority. You've come a long way from those school playgrounds, kids.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Stephen is hilarious. The one gay dude from season 3 dissing the season 1 one. Catfight!

Tre going was a bit of a surprise, but he hasn't been nearly as stellar as I expected lately.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    "Being carving the chickens... n-"
    "Finished"

Maybe not that fast, but damn. Talk about a challenge that favors him.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2007
    Tre was sad to see go.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Hung practically drooled at it.

BTW Rygar, how did your drinking experience go?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Hung practically drooled at it.

BTW Rygar, how did your drinking experience go?

Haven't really drunk anything since the wine. I went to the Siena in Reno for their wine-bar, but got their too late for happy hour. So I lost $100 on roulette instead.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The dish Hung made in the quickfire was adorable.

Getting kind of sick of the shit the producers are doing to try to make things interesting for us. A budget episode like this should have been done way earlier in the season as a way to root out the weakest links, not when they are at the end and looking for a person who is able to take food to new levels. It's amazing we haven't seen the cheftestants rise up more than they have against this shit.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously.

You didn't WOW us. Well fuck you gave them 350 bucks for a fucking 2 hour catering job for 65 people. Excuse them. Even the stuff that won didn't WOW people.

The Spam and Ramen thing on the quickfire was awesome though. Sheer genius.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hung went through those chickens like a chipper shredder. He may be a pretentious douchenozzle, but that little guy can cut.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fiz wrote: »
    The dish Hung made in the quickfire was adorable.

Getting kind of sick of the shit the producers are doing to try to make things interesting for us. A budget episode like this should have been done way earlier in the season as a way to root out the weakest links, not when they are at the end and looking for a person who is able to take food to new levels. It's amazing we haven't seen the cheftestants rise up more than they have against this shit.

its a contest.
    If you "Rise up" you get your ass kicked off.

You don't sign on and then get to make rules too.
    Yeah, the ordering of it was stupid, but still. It's GOING to be random, so what do you expect?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've seen the episode twice now, and the elimination challenge seems even more ridiculous.

Bitching about the judging.
    The judges harped on some of them making more than one dish when there was no rule saying they had to. This is a valid point. What bothered me here is that they had to bring it up numerous times during the judging when it didn't seem to play a huge role on the outcome. I also remember the chefs mentioning early on that they planned that many dishes because they wanted to provide the guests with a lot of options in case they had different dietary needs. A nice sentiment that was kind of ruined by a lack of funding.

It was also weird when they complained about so many of the dishes being served on bread. I'm not a chef, but it seems like bread is the perfect low-budget item when it comes to finger-foods. You need something that won't leave a greasy feeling on your fingers and that won't leave anything behind when you are done with the meal. It is also important that the item can be eaten without the aid of both hands or silverware. I was actually a little surprised they didn't bring up the fact that Casey's was the only dish that left something behind when you were done eating it (one of those Chinese soup spoons that they use way too much).

The judges also seem to be a bit ambiguous about serving dishes or not. This week we had Howie not wanting to serve his quickfire and getting dinged on not giving them anything to eat, and then him not wanting to serve his elimination items and getting dinged for sending out stuff he knew was bad. The way they should have dealt with him here is to say he should have only focussed on making one dish, so he could have leftover money to buy extra food in case he needs to redo something. They didn't have a problem with Casey/Sara not putting out the dessert because they had already put out one good dish each.

CJ is too tall. I felt bad for him when his head was touching the ceiling during the cooking. I wonder what he did to make his Seafood Sausage different from the one the Brians have shown us twice so far.

Dale was kind of nothing in this episode. I like it when he is more out there.

There's a clip online that shows a lot more of Hung's "Smurf Village". Everything about that scene was a laugh riot

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I guess my biggest beef was I agreed nothing looked too experimental. I think this season (excepting Hung's little creation during the Quickfire) seems pretty inexperienced/uncreative compared to previous ones.

I think if they did a Season 1 vs 2 vs 3 cookoff, 3 would get their asses beat. I still think Sam is one of the coolest/best chefs I've seen on the show. Also hot. ;P

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes, he's very hot. But this is Top Chef, not Power Top Chef.

That's next season.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fiz wrote: »
    Yes, he's very hot. But this is Top Chef, not Power Top Chef.

That's next season.

True. Although they have their quota if they need Power Bottom Chef contestants.
    Steven
    Dale

Or the annoying "Why did I bring you home even if I was THAT drunk" ones
    HUNG... but he wasn't

etc. :p

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What are you guys even talking about? This isn't Project Runway. There are no gays on this show.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's still a Bravo show. Everybody is gay. Even one of the Brians.

I think O'Brien is the gay personality.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg