As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Preview On] Dwarf Fortress for PSP? No, but close! Dungeon Maker

n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground

934306_85833_front.jpg

Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground, a PSP game developed by Global A and published by XSeed Games, is an exercise in the design, implementation, modification, and, uh... cleanification of your own dungeon. Without another word, fans of Dwarf Fortress should already be sporting raging, elephantile boners. I know I am.

The premise is thus: You are a novice dungeon crafter, an Architect. You enjoy the making of dungeons as a means of luring all manner of evil into your lair and killing them within, that you may lay claim to their goods, with which you are enabled to do more dungeoneering. As such, you arrive at a town that is apparently a popular spot for Architects to set up shop. Many architects have already been been about, building dungeons and killing monsters, but all have ultimately perished. Now it is your turn. Create a small dungeon, kill the monsters that it lures with your Architect's own two hands, and use the spoils to further equip and expand the dungeon and your own gear.

934306_20070605_screen004.jpg

This is the town of your residence (you can see your house at the top). From this screen, you can purchase all manner of pieces and kits necessessary for the creation of a first-class dungeon. For example, the build shop.

934306_20070605_screen005.jpg

Other shops include a magic shop, armorer, weaponsmith, grocery, etc. There are many more points of interest than these on the town map, but I personally have no idea what they are. Expect 12-15 town locations.

You will buy raw materials, room plans, and possibly pre-built rooms (guessing on that one) from the build shop, but what to do after you fork over the gold?

Pick a spot in your little hole in the ground...

934306_20070605_screen008.jpg

Select your room or corridor you would like to build...

934306_20070605_screen009.jpg

And presto, as if by magic, your architect spawns a new addition to the dungeon.

934306_20070605_screen010.jpg

Examine the "mini"-map in the next pic. That is 1F. Guessing from the build shop pic you've got a good 20 floors to play with. And yes! That is your architect wielding a sword and shield. Also bows, spears, axes, clubs, and a wide array of magical abilities ranging from elemental attack to buffing to summoning.

934306_20070605_screen025.jpg

One of the really interesting little things about the game is how you get monsters into your dungeon to begin with. Certain monsters will inhabit only cold or hot rooms, large or smalls rooms, long and wide corridors, short and twisy hallways, and a variety of other factors.

Your Architect will be able to take on quests and recieve rewards for completing them, as well as killing so many of certain monsters or by killing random boss monsters that only appear once you have an area suitable for their habitation.

Hungry? Dead monsters drop parts that can be used for cooking, which will allow you to create all manner of permanantly buffing consumables (and possibly healing or temp-buffing items as well).

After a while, some ruins will appear near your dungeon. Through them you may enter other people's dungeons using the ad-hoc wireless functionality. Basically, this allows you to "trade" dungeons with your buddies and run around in them.

There is a game play movie on Gamespot of you are bothered to check it out. Seriously, watch it to get an idea of the combat and magic. It doesn't look bad, considering the other, much more central scope of the game. Here are some pics of the heavier majicks in action.

934306_20070605_screen001.jpg

934306_20070605_screen049.jpg

934306_20070605_screen050.jpg

934306_20070605_screen051.jpg

I am stoked as hell for this game. I am a huge fan of Dwarf Fortress and all manner of sandboxy games, and my PSP has been collecting dust for six months. I am getting this yesterday, and it doesn't even come out until June 19. 2008? 2009? Oh no. This year. Like in five days. Don't ask me how I am going to do it, I'm just going to.

Everything shamelessly stolen from Gamespot. Except the words.

edit: edited for gramar and spellink

btrsig.jpg
n00bish on

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Your OP gets a big :^: from me.

However, I'm not sure how good this game is going to be. I'm of the opinion that it'll probably fall into the 'mediocre RPG' list, alongside most of the PSP's other RPG's.

Now, Brave Story and Jeanne d'Arc. Those games will get some love from me.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This game might just make me get my psp out again. It was been on 0% power for months now.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is this anything like that old game Dungeon Keeper? Like, will you have to fend off pesky do-gooders who always come in to fucks your shits up? So far, it basically looks like someone making a deep basement.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If this piqued my interest I'd actually consider getting a PSP, what with the rumored slim version.

However those dungeon shots look really really drab and generic. There's no irons, or spikes, or any sort of traps that I can see. In fact, I don't even see magma.

A town that people come to to build dungeons? Hmmm...

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Is this anything like that old game Dungeon Keeper? Like, will you have to fend off pesky do-gooders who always come in to fucks your shits up? So far, it basically looks like someone making a deep basement.

I think the only bad guys are going to be actual bad guys, no heroes invading for loot. That said, while much of the shots and the movie was of pretty boring stuff, it was a short-term hands-on preview. They never showed us past what, 3F? The build list had items for an Island, Arena, Hell Pit, etc. I assume the building materials are more varied than stone and wood as well, to accomodate the picky monsters that need certain things before they show up.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is out now and it is getting pretty piss poor reviews. On the other hand, over at the SA forums the people who've picked it up there seem to be loving it.

And I don't approve of this thread also claiming it's like Dwarf Fortress, it really doesn't seem to be at all. It is more like Dungeon Keeper mixed with Diablo.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule