As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Backlog- need input!

ToniousTonious Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So I never really owned an Xbox til I got my 360. And since then I've gone back and played a few of those Xbox games I've heard good things about but didn't have the desire to buy the console to play them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some backwards compatible games for the 360 that I may have missed on the Xbox that are worth going back and playing. The games I have are Ninja Gaiden Black, GTA: SA, Crimson Skies, Halo 1 and 2, Star Wars Episode III... I played the two Kotor games on PC and didn't have much desire to play Jade Empire or the Splinter Cell games. *Thinks* What else.... I guess that's it. @_@ Thanks in advance!

Tonious on

• Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    While you said you don't have a desire to play it, I think everyone should try Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Really a fantastic game, and this is coming from someone who didn't play the first two because I thought they were a bit tough.

I bet it will be hard to find but I also recommend Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. It was a really fun shooter that is full of creative weapons, funny characters and tons of stuff blowing up. Definitely worth a try.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you haven't on another platform, Psychonauts.

Aim on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I enjoyed the Pirates game from Sid Meier, although I'm not sure where you'd find it nowadays.

Everyone on this board seems to love Panzer Dragoon Orta. I didn't care for it much, but I would give it a shot anyways. Very nice visuals.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Get Phantom Dust for an experience you won't get with any other game. Ever.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm currently playing Fable, which I'd recommend so far (I'm not more than a few hours in though)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Deathrow

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Brothers in Arms series, not exclusive I don't think, but I played them on Xbox so that's all that matters :P

Quintile on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Deathrow

Has Stranger's Wrath been made bc yet?

Also, the Otogi games are supposed to be sweet

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sorry...brainfart.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Panzer Dragoon Orta. Epic.

Also, has the Saturn original. Plenty of replay value on top of that. I'll second Phantom Dust, and everyone needs to play Jet Set Radio Future.

It sucks that all the good XB fighters aren't backwards compatible. I love me some SVC Chaos.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Brothers in Arms, Strangers Wrath and Otogi all are not BC.

I would recommend Panzer Dragoon Orta for sure. Soul Calibur II if you like Fighting games. And the Max Payne games are pretty good though they show their age a bit.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tonious wrote: »
    So I never really owned an Xbox til I got my 360. And since then I've gone back and played a few of those Xbox games I've heard good things about but didn't have the desire to buy the console to play them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some backwards compatible games for the 360 that I may have missed on the Xbox that are worth going back and playing. The games I have are Ninja Gaiden Black, GTA: SA, Crimson Skies, Halo 1 and 2, Star Wars Episode III... I played the two Kotor games on PC and didn't have much desire to play Jade Empire or the Splinter Cell games. *Thinks* What else.... I guess that's it. @_@ Thanks in advance!

I had an Xbox before I got my 360, and had KotOR1, Halo 1 and 2, Crimson Skies, GTA: SA, Ninja Gaiden: Black, Jade Empire, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, among about the same amount of other games for the system. Those are the only ones I still play at all. You've pretty much got what I would consider the essentials of the Xbox already, but I recommend checking out Chaos Theory. It really is the best of the series, and an incredible game.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you need a good (relative to my opinion) fighter, Dead or Alive: Ultimate as well as DoA3 should all be pretty cheap now. I'd also check out the Xbox version of the Megaman Anniversary Collection, along with Mechassault 2: Lonewolf. Even though I picked up all of these games on the cheap, I rather enjoyed them, and you might, too.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Links 2004 if you are into golf games.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    LlyranorLlyranor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Being in the same shoes as you a few months ago, my top 3 choices are:
    - Ninja Gaiden Black
    - Panzer Dragoon Orta
    - Crimson Skies

Halo 1/2 are great games if you enjoy coop. Coop + Legendary difficulty = godly battles.

Otherwise, I've picked up Megaman Anniversary Collection, Thief 3 and Jade Empire. Those are some nice choices too.

All these are, of course, backwards-compatible.

Llyranor on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Get Phantom Dust for an experience you won't get with any other game. Ever.
    The game is $5 'used.' By used I mean new with a used sticker on it because no one in their right mind would trade that game in. The 'used' copy I got was pristine in every way.

I was hoping they would port Otogi 2 and Gunvalkyrie on the last update but I can't complain after getting Orta, JSRF, and Phantom Dust all in one go.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just so the the original poster is clear, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath IS NOT backwards compatible. And it is a damned shame.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    ToniousTonious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all the input ^_^ I'll be picking up Panzer Dragoon Orta and Phantom Dust. Keep'em coming!

Tonious on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you like first person games, I'm going to have to recommend Breakdown if you can find it. It's a weird FPS/adventure hybrid thing with a crazy plot that this forum turned me on to. It's not very expensive either.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fun Fact: I actually thought by the boxart that Breakdown was a puzzle game.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Don't forget to check that list before you buy an Xbox game. They update the list every time they do a BC update.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aim wrote: »
    If you haven't on another platform, Psychonauts.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    infofcerinfofcer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In addition to everything said, I would recommend Mercenaries. Great free roaming 3rd person shooter and it recently became backwards compatible.

infofcer on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would like to second mercenaries.

So much, in fact, I want to see if I can go rent it/get it used cheap soon. Loved that freaking game.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Beyond Good and Evil, again, if you haven't played it elsewhere.

Psi-Ops is also a pretty good shooter, with cool powers. Can probably be found cheap (i found mine for $7 used). Unreal Championship 2 is awesome, especially multiplayer, but the campaign is pretty fun as well.

My 2 favorite games on the system that have not been mentioned so far are Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Secret Weapons Over Normandy, which i think is a better overall flight combat game than Crimson Skies.

I am not sure about the BC status of any of the above mentioned games.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fun Fact: I actually thought by the boxart that Breakdown was a puzzle game.

Yeah the boxart is a little weird, with that nondescript hex grid thing. But it's a pretty cool game.

I only have a used copy in a lame generic case. :( But it did only cost me like 7 bucks.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51