As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come one, Come all--Daily Drawing Thread (totally not the doodle thread)

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Okay, my drawings are in big need of criticism right now, so I thought I'd set up a new thread where I dump my sketches and studies (the other one was in my other account, so...). I'm also going to try and update this thread on a daily basis (though I'm sure I won't be able to keep that promise), and I need you guys to motivate me to keep this promise.

I'll start off the thread with the self-portrait from yesterday (the first I've ever attempted), though it's already been posted in the doodle thread. There should be another update tonight.

portrait2jh0.jpg

-reference shot-

Man... That really looks nothing like me.

Flay on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Okay, tonight's update, as promised.

Seeing as shading seemed to be a particular weak-spot in the portrait in the post above, I decided to try eliminating it and instead focusing on the line-work. I guess I kind of ended up going for some strange, cell-shading effect.

sketchpage11hi4.jpg

So, who's the portrait of then?

Flay on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're shading with scribbles. When using pencil, use the side of it.

If shading is weak, wouldn't you want to be working on that?

Virum on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blending sticks help lots with shading. And what kinda pencils do you use? That self portrait didn't have too much tonal variety.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Notice the difference in the "cel-shaded" drawing and your scribble-shaded drawing. I'm taking a wild guess here that shading with line is helping you to better define your shapes, forms, as well as help you pay attention to negative space. I'd suggest that you try doing the "cel-shading" types of drawings a few times, and then try to move on to adding values in the same manner - by paying close attention to the forms and shapes that the shadows and highlights of the face are creating.

The face is very good, but the full figures seem to be off a bit. I'm not sure if you worked on those from a reference or not, but it may be a good idea to if you haven't already. Also - try enclosing the figure in a "box" shape - it will help you to see the negative space around the figure, and therefore help you get a more accurate line.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    If shading is weak, wouldn't you want to be working on that?

Correct, but my line-work isn't crash hot either, so I thought it'd be best if I take it one step at a time. Also, seeing as I really don't have any idea of the theory behind shading, I was a little worried I'd be reinforcing bad habits if I continued to shade without really knowing what I was doing.
    And what kinda pencils do you use?

I use normal faber castell HB pencils.

EDIT:

@NightDragon: Yeah, I'll admit I kind of half-assed those figure drawings. But anways, thanks for the advice, I'll keep working on negative space for now.

Flay on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flay wrote:
    That chick from Psycho or The Birds. I'm actually working in a video store rightnow. I just can't be bothered to check.

Edit: Janet Leigh. Whatever. Psycho.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MufasaJoe wrote: »
    Flay wrote:
    Janet Leigh. Whatever. Psycho.

*ding ding* We have a winner, here's your prize...

portrait3wv4.jpg

I'm not sure of the name of the actor, but I'm sure nobody'll have a hard time figuring out which character this is supposed to be. Now that I think of it, it was probably a bad choice of reference, considering the head's structure is so unrealistic.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Try as I might, I just could not get in a drawing mood tonight, but I eventually managed to force myself to at least make this page of doodlings...

sketchpage12gn4.jpg

:| *sigh*

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry guys, I started going through the beginning Loomis' 'drawing the head and hands' and time kinda got away from me, so there's not much to see here.

sketchpage13pr2.jpg

I've got a lot to learn about drawing the head.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I started off tonight's sketching with a few attempts to do another self-portrait, but I just couldn't seem to get a likeness and ended up rubbing them all out. I figured trying to go about doing a portrait with perfect accuracy, inch by inch, mightn't be the way to go, so instead I made an attempt at producing a portrait as quickly as possible. Kind of a 'meh...' result (the whole shape of the face is way off).

sketchpage14pq5.jpg

-reference shot-

I really want to be able to get to point where I can add my own contribution to the awesome illustrations and sketches I see scattered throughout the net, but I don't really feel like I'm progressing at all. I know in the beginning stages I should be focusing on life drawing, but what long term advice can you guys offer me for learning to produce images from imagination? And what should I be focusing my present drawing studies on?

Flay on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flay wrote: »

I really want to be able to get to point where I can add my own contribution to the awesome illustrations and sketches I see scattered throughout the net, but I don't really feel like I'm progressing at all.

Trust me, you will get better with practice. My own drawing skills are tiny, but I was even worse to start with. Hold onto what you're doing now and look at it again in a few months. Doing this will demonstrate how you've improved, even if it doesn't feel like you have.

I know in the beginning stages I should be focusing on life drawing, but what long term advice can you guys offer me for learning to produce images from imagination?[/QUOTE]

Life drawing, life drawing and more life drawing. The better you can draw something from a reference, the better you'll be able to draw it from memory.

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I've gotta say, I'm seeing some improvement already. :) Keep it up, you're doing well!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys, here's a quick doodle from a study/efficiency seminary we had at school today. There should be another update later tonight.

schooldoodle1bp2.jpg

I suppose I should comment on the irony of getting distracted and doodling when I'm being lectured about efficiency before anyone else does...

EDIT: Tonight's update...

sketchpage15mv2.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys, here's a quick doodle from a study/efficiency seminary we had at school today. There should be another update later tonight.

PICTURE

I suppose I should comment on the irony of getting distracted and doodling when I'm being lectured about efficiency before anyone else does...

It looks like you got detention or something. That's what I did when they told me to write out why I skipped class.

"I skipped class because I already knew the material the coach [sic] was teaching. Getting real teachers and a curiculum you didn't pull out of your ass may encourage me to stop my truant ways." [doodle, doodle, doodle]

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    edited June 2007

PICTURE

It looks like you got detention or something. That's what I did when they told me to write out why I skipped class.

"I skipped class because I already knew the material the coach [sic] was teaching. Getting real teachers and a curiculum you didn't pull out of your ass may encourage me to stop my truant ways." [doodle, doodle, doodle]

Nah, not detention. Just a boring, compusory seminar thing that everyone in my year had to do.

EDIT: Oh yeah, seeing as I won't have access to a scanner, don't expect an update tonight (and possibly for the rest of the weekend, although I'm not sure).

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm not even going to bother posting the crummy figure drawings from last night, all I learned from them was that I desperately need to review my anatomy. Instead, here's tonight's fix...

sketchpage16nr8.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    anatomy3se8.jpg

Looking over the Loomis books made me realize I've just been getting lazy with anatomy, and that I've got to start learning in earnest again if I really want to get anywhere.

Flay on
  • Options
    tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flay, that figure in motion is looking really fine. I too have just started getting serious about learning anatomy by sketching from the Loomis book, so I can't give you a serious critique on that. I just see a few problems with the connection between the shoulders and the upper arms, particularly the one on the left. But still, nice job.

tmccool on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Er... That figure's copied from 'figure drawing for all it's worth'... I probably should have mentioned that. :oops:

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    sketchpage17yv0.jpg

Angler-fish are like, the coolest animals on the planet, 'm I right?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tonight's sketchpage, fresh out of the oven.

sketchpage18gm8.jpg

The head in the top left is crap, I did it when I couldn't concentrate in english.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    -27/6/07-

sketchpage19rw3.jpg

Also, don't expect an update tomorrow - I'm hosting a poker night and I expect managing it will take up most of my time.

Flay on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ha. I like the octopus head guy.
    You should do a ref'd drawing of muscular guy in the same position then do a ref'd drawing of an octopus and then draw him again. You know, as long as your updating this daily.

Keep it up. Fewer loomis studies and more life/ref studies might be nice.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    -28/6/07-

sketchpage20halffinishefx3.jpg

I did get around to doing a bit of sketching tonight. The portrait is of one of the other guys at the game tonight (people said I got a fairly good likeness, except for the nose), the figure was done from a ref just now 'cause I wasn't too tired. I might add more to this page, it seems kind of cheap to leave so much blank space.

@Joe: Thanks for the comments, I'll start trying to apply what I've learned from Loomis a bit more.

Flay on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I haven't really drawn anything for a long time, and over the summer I'm going to have a lot of free time so I want to start drawing again. The thing is, when I used to draw I felt like at some point I just hit a brick wall and didn't make anymore progress. It was like from the begining up to a certain point I was just progressing like crazy and then at some point I just stopped. I'll post some from oldest to newest, some of you have probobly seen these before:

stillife7.jpg

handsdone.jpg

signiture1.jpg

itsmybackpack.jpg

rose2.jpg

fruitshirt1.jpg

graffstuff1.jpg

tea1.jpg

aymohand1.jpg

robohand2.jpg

hand777.jpg

case1.jpg

yellowcoinhand.jpg

face1.jpg

So yeah, thats from oldest to newest. I'll probobly be posting a picture at least every two or three days and then work myself up to once a day, hopefully. I just posted all these pictures because I wanted to see what specific things I should be working on, I really want to try and improve. I haven't been drawing seriously for that long, maybe a year and a half. So yeah, if you guys could give me some crits or let me know what I should be working on that'd be great, I'll post something new in here soon.

Thanks.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    -29/6/07-

sketchpage20ga3.jpg

I guess I didn't really get around to doing any studies today, just a couple of doodles to finish off this page in my sketchbook. :|

Hey... Second page!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    -30/6/07-

sketchpage21eb4.jpg

Eh... Yeah.

Flay on
  • Options
    tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    heh.... "they said it couldn't be done" made me laugh.

looks like you're having fun.

tmccool on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lots of good improvement in these... keep it up man!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    -1/7/07-

sketchpage22jt7.jpg

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Here's another doodle-page for tonight.

Flay on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is the one towards the top actually drawn on Post Office labels? If so, very cool idea. What kind of time frame are we looking at here from "oldest to newest." There seems to be quite a bit of progress from the still life with the satchel to the striped hands at the top. Keep it up.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not too long, but still a long time. The striped hands at the top was probobly around November-ish and the satchel was around April if I had to guess. I feel stupid posting this thread and then not updating, but my digital camera is broken! I'll have to borrow my dads to update sometime, I have some stuff I want to post.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the spraycan with the markers is the best drawing up there. It does the best job of conveying form and a sense of three-dimensionality. I am noticing some issues with the hands you have been drawing, the knuckles are all lined up in a straight line, and this is just not how a hand is. It makes it feel akward.

Here is a quick shitty drawing of what I am talking about. The knuckles peak on your middle finger.

handadvice.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah, you're right, thanks. Like I said, the only instruction I've ever recieved in art has been from these forums. Thanks for taking the time to draw that.

I did a sketch of some plants in a glass cup this afternoon, I'll post it now or when I get back tonight.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Won't let me edit, oh well.

flowers2.jpg

This took me probobly about an hour and I just used one pencil, I forget what the hardness was, I think it was a three or so. Anything anyone has to say is greatly appreciated, the comments and critisisms here are the only feedback I get really. Thanks.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You faked the reflection/water on the bottom of the bowl, but non one's gonna blame ya :p

It looks good, man. You might want to start weaning yourself away from outlining, especially on white/light objects. It lets the value speak for itself and is necessary for that photorealistic effect. If you can pull it off it looks great, but it can take a long time to learn to do properly, and every time I've tried it I end up with a formless mess.

Brolo on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Try setting up some proper perspective to get the ellipses. Just something simple like 1 point would work, because right now the bowl in plate are going everywhere.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll tell you what that brick wall is; I'm climbing it myself at the moment. It's the point where natural talent and intuition don't do anything anymore and you have to practice for days or weeks to see an inkling of improvement.

I don't know if you've already gotten it, but "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" really helps with life drawing. Used copies are cheap.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    -3/07/07-

sketchpage23pg9.jpg

Sorry, I was out pretty much all of yesterday and didn't really get a chance to draw.'

Tonight, on the other hand, I've had plenty of spare time. I guess I was in the mood to experiment with line a little, and maybe even start working in to a style of my own.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Rolo - Yeah, I kind of did, I tried drawing it and it was REALLY hard for some reason, so I kind of just drew parts of it, if that makes sense.

Wakka - Yeah, the ellipses were hard. you mean jsut drawing a rectangle in perspective and drawing the ellipse in that? I'm nto sure what you mean.

Tam - I do have that book, I only looked at it a little though, I'll look at it more I guess. Thanks.

I think I'm going to do daily updates. Check it, I'll get a better picture later:

pepp.jpg

I tried not using any outlines and just using values and shading. Can you tell what it is? Its a
    pepper!

I wasn't sure how obvious that was. Hopefully, it was very obvious. So yeah, anything anyone has to say would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Chop Logic on