As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I..uh, have some cartoons.

MacarelloMacarello Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi there, I just joined the forums, mainly for this board. Name's George, I'm 15, live in England, and I love drawing (As I'm sure quite a few of you do). I mainly cartoon, because it a lot of fun developing styles, and sometimes just drawing can be extremely rewarding, especially when I look back on my work and see what I can improve on and what I have improved on. I think that my style is heavily influenced by Gabe (seeing his work was one of the reasons I started drawing more anyway), but I'd like to show you some of my work, and hopefully have you tell me where I can improve in places, as I'd really like to become better at the thing I love.

dadxb5.jpg

My dad, who has proven very fun to draw :mrgreen:

dacatdc4.jpg

My cat, also fun to draw.

joinmenv4.jpg

A quickie, but I like how it turned out.

run001hp0.jpg

Its the Doctor, with strangely mangled hands! I like the rest of it though.

nightskh6.jpg

NiGHTS, and this is teh one probably most reminiscent of PA.

savvygw6.jpg

And, of course, the obligatory Jack Sparrow picture.

The below statement is true.
The above statement is false.

You:O_o
Me: :rotate:
Macarello on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, sorry double post. Lock away!

Macarello on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    sigh.....
    i can literally copy paste the response from about 50 other threads, but i won't.
    here's the bullet points you're gonna get (rightfully so)
    -draw from life
    -stop copying gabes style get your own (which you will develop by...
    -....drawing from life)
    -its lazy
    -draw from life
    -work on anatomy
    -draw from life
    -learn muscle/bone structure
    -draw from life

i bet i can find those poses you used in pa's comics if i took the time to look.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hi. Very nice cartoony style. The only criticism I might add is that the cat's front feet seem to be dead set between her back feet, giving it an M.C. Escher look. I have cats and I know their front feet sit pretty far back. It might be that the foot to the viewer's left may need to move right a bit since the cat is turned 1/4 turn away from the camera, but his front legs are seemingly straight on, (with the viewer-left foot tilted away at a painful angle)

Since you have a good grasp on human structure, next thing I'd do is try your hand at is digital inking/coloring. It's a really cheap, but effective alternative to pens/paper and much easier to undo mistakes, no matter what it is.

Good luck.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's a very nice cartoony style, but it's a cartoony style that's not his. That's the thing.

Obviously you have the potential to do really well, but you have to drop Gabe's style, as it's quite obvious that it is his.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was thinking that Alyce, but I knew someone else would say it. lol

Alyce (and Zerg) are correct. If I looked at this and it didn't have your name on it, I'd swear Mike K did it. I can't imagine getting those hands without plain copying Mike's work. Like Alyce said, to get your own style, first learn to draw from life. Once you've got human structure burned into your brain, you will want to either draw humans more perfectly, or simplify them into a cartoonish style. Style comes from the ashes of despair and discouragement, but it's all the sweeter when it does.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, if you draw from life, and actually NOT focus on obtaining a style it will come to you naturally.

I had this problem when I first came to the forums a couple years ago. My stuff looked remarkably like the PA style. Now I've focused on stuff other than cartoons and my 'styles' are much different. It takes time though, as does many things.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He's 15 guys, and I think he's got a pretty good grasp for his age. Obviously it's very derivative of Mike's style, but that's a part of what drawing at 15 is about.

As has been advised, don't forget the importance of drawing and observing from real life. Get a good grasp of human anatomy and as you breakdown the elements to their basics, that's when personal style will form. Don't rush it though. And there's nothing wrong with being influenced by someone else's work and style, but there's a careful line of being inspired and ripping off. Play around with other styles as well if you feel inclined, if at least to get an understanding as to how other artists may have developed their style. Might help you in your trek to yours.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ...I was 15 when I came here. It's better to know what you gotta do early, rather than realizing it a couple years down the road.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    BlaineBlaine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Nevermind the fact that Gabe ripped his style from a million other artists out there.

Blaine on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yes gabe style is influenced by others. thats fine.
    but he's a solid artist. and even at 15 anyone serious should be studying the human form. i was taking live model drawing classes when i was 13.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wow... I didnt realise before just how closely I was mimicking the PA style. This is incredibly helpful guys, seriously. I understand now what I'm gonna have to do if I am going to get serious about this, and I really do want to be serious about this.

Macarello on

• Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're really good for a 15 year old. At 15 I was drawing anime-inspired pieces of shit.

Sam :) on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're actually 15, and drew these...goddamn, this is excellence as far as skill goes. I'd still take the advice of others to try and develop your own style, though...and work on real-life stuff/figure drawing and whatnot.

If you're lying and stole these...you are poop.

...but these are really excellent for somebody who's only 15, despite the fact the style seems kinda derived.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You're a great sport, young buddy. Way better than I was at that age. (I was drawing naked Sailor Mercury, and not very well.)

You'll do great. Best of luck, lad.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Uh, wow, thanks. No, I didnt steal these. I swear, pencil on heart, that these are mine. :)

Macarello on

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I am very impressed also in that you managed to emulate Gabe's style so efficiently. Most people would make horrible mistakes, but most of the stuff you've drawn actually works.

But yes, you should definitely branch out and do more real-life stuff and eventually grow into a style of your own.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007
    Macarello wrote: »
    Wow... I didnt realise before just how closely I was mimicking the PA style. This is incredibly helpful guys, seriously. I understand now what I'm gonna have to do if I am going to get serious about this, and I really do want to be serious about this.

Your stuff is really nice; more so you were able to take a page full of redundant (especially considering you mentioned it in your OP) observations that your style looks like Gabe’s with good spirit. Your skill and attitude are both very impressive and I sincerely hope you keep it up.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    xbainxxbainx Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't worry naked zergling is a dick. Gabe has links to an artsit who influenced him, and his work is very similar. I happen to like Penny Arcade and not Danny Phantom, but it's a close call art wise. zergling can paste all those responses cause thats all he ever does. Tells people who are drawing cartoons to work on anatomy. Cause God forbid if your talking cat didn't look anatomically correct. I'm starting to see a pattern in these forums and begining to see why Gabe and Tycho don't read them. For the most part you people are helpful, but it's also a lot of useless advice. Draw from life. Study Anatomy. Learn bone structure. Right! Because Mickey Mouse is famous for his muscle tone being accurate. Fuck you. Keep up with the comics kid.

xbainx on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the draw from life comments on cartoons are because it's a lot easier to cartoon when you know what the basic structure that you're perverting is.

To the OP, your comics are impressive. I wouldn't worry too much about them looking like another artist's work, so long as you realize it. I'd like to see some of the cartooning talent turned towards a more personal style, or (dare I say it) realistic works, just to see what you could do.

Keep up the good work!

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure gabe and tycho don't read the forums because they dont have time, (and...probably SE...) not because we give people advice to draw from life. Its an important point to stress, because most people tend to walk down the same path, and thats to mimic an artist they like. Mimicking is actually pretty important in discovering what you want to do, and then drawing from life helps you gain the knowledge to work with it. Basically, if you want to draw a calf muscle exactly the way you want to, the more you know about it, the easier it is to know what rules you want to bend.

Even gabe has some pretty nice traditional watercolors, if I recall. Zergling is a dick though.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    xbainx wrote: »
    Don't worry naked zergling is a dick. Gabe has links to an artsit who influenced him, and his work is very similar. I happen to like Penny Arcade and not Danny Phantom, but it's a close call art wise. zergling can paste all those responses cause thats all he ever does. Tells people who are drawing cartoons to work on anatomy. Cause God forbid if your talking cat didn't look anatomically correct. I'm starting to see a pattern in these forums and begining to see why Gabe and Tycho don't read them. For the most part you people are helpful, but it's also a lot of useless advice. Draw from life. Study Anatomy. Learn bone structure. Right! Because Mickey Mouse is famous for his muscle tone being accurate. Fuck you. Keep up with the comics kid.

You are a clueless git and need to shut up.

The stylization on these are cleanly done and appealing, but they sort of ache for more differentation from Gabe's style as people have mentioned. You seem to have picked up on the nuances that make Gabe's drawings effective pretty well, so hopefully you're a quick learn and will have your own style in short order.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    but he's a solid artist. and even at 15 anyone serious should be studying the human form. i was taking live model drawing classes when i was 13.

Oh clearly you are better than us.

Godfather on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fully approve of The Doctor drawing.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Godfather wrote: »

Aaaall haaaail Zergliiiiiing...

Projeck on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Well, wise art guru, since you're apparently savvy about what works and what doesn't, would you care to post some examples of your art for the great benefit of everyone?
    If you do draw, and have developed skill without learning the basics, then good for you. But you should understand that this is good advice that does work for a lot of people.
    If you don't draw, then I wonder if you also stop by stables for fun to tell the kids getting riding lessons, "psh, head and shoulder position? fuck that, cowboys aren't famous for their posture, they're famous 'cuz they kick ass! you shouldn't listen to these people who know what they're doing because I think differently!"

OP: All that good stuff everyone else said, and you should keep posting! It's funny because the one you said is most reminiscent of PA reminds me way more of Sonic the Hedgehog than PA. (Then again, maybe it is a StH character and I'm just out of the loop =p )

lyrium on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Project37 wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »

Aaaall haaaail Zergliiiiiing...

he's not saying he's better than you
    stop crying
    he's saying there's no reason this guy couldn't be taking model drawing classes

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

those tips are useless? you're a fucking idiot. every good artist here gives the same advice..clearly we're the one who don't know anything.

godfather-i never said i'm better than anyone here

project37- i agree all hail me.

as far as taking live model lessons throughout my early teens, i'm trying to say that as an artist who was OBSESSED with comics growing up. trying to mimic comics without understanding the human form really set me back. I was able to take human form classes, and i wish i had more time as i would still take them.

call me a dick all you want, i'm not hiding behind "i do comic so i don't need to know anatomy" or "well thats my style" BULLSHIT. it means you're unskilled and/or lazy. i would rather try new things and risk them looking crappy than draw the exact dam cartoons as everyone else because you feel it looks good.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am of the opinion that learning to draw properly from life helps in almost every area of your life. You see the entire world differently, and it gives you a lot more room to work from in comic work. Saying that suggesting people draw from life is bad advice is just ridiculous. If you think disney animators didnt practice drawing from life a metric assload in their lifetimes than you are sorely mistaken. Mickey Mouse may not look all that much like a real person but there is a lot more intelligence behind his design than you give credit for.

Animators have to study from life almost as much as a figurative painter might.

Not all cartoonists have studied extensively from life though, true, it just helps a lot. And I think trying to work without it is the hard way, not the easy way.

But its important to remember that you guys shouldn't run all of these people off of the forum so quickly with this shit. Suggest they start studying from life while continueing to work on developing their comics. Not this 'your comics suck study life go to hell' shit. People on this forum did that to me years ago and I'll tell you what, even though I started studying from life and working hard to develope my traditional drawing skills, it had nothing to do with everyone being a dick to me. And you know what, most of the dudes posting that shit are probably hypocritical jackasses anyways because damn, if they were all studying so hard from life where are they now? I am not regularly seeing life drawing work on this forum that blows me away. Taking one or two life drawing classes doesnt cut it really. You wont learn shit from one or two classes. You need to dedicate yourself to it.

In other words, life drawing = good but only if you really stick with it and do it often.

Being a dick = bad.

rts on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That comment about the Disney animators makes me laugh. Did you know that many Disney characters are actually rotoscoped (as in, they do a film take of an actual person, and then trace over it and animate)? If this needs no knowledge of human anatomy, how would they have done this? Also, some Disney characters are referenced from actual people. Do you really think the animators had no knowledge of human anatomy? That's just plain ridiculous. How did they get the job?

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    D90D90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Normally I think that people claiming a style is 'too PA' is annoying, and a cheap and easy shot at practically any cartoon ever. But this time...
    I really did look at some of the images and think that I'd seen them before. Like they were directly ripped from other images, but maybe had some details edited to make them into other characters, know what I mean?

I don't know... either you're really good an intuitively drawing certain things in a cartoon style, or you've directly copied some body parts.
    That's my gut reaction, anyway.

D90 on