Options

Oblivion! (NSF56k)

• Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Oblivion has axes and hammers, doesn't it? Am I missing something? I thought I saw some npc swing a big hammer at me yesterday.

Oh that was included in distinction. Why does that matter, again?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oblivion has axes and hammers, doesn't it? Am I missing something? I thought I saw some npc swing a big hammer at me yesterday.

Oh that was included in distinction. Why does that matter, again?

They are all under the 'blunt' category.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I miss my spears, there may not have been any decent artifact spears in vanilla Morrowind but they were still my favourite group of weapons to use.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I miss my spears, there may not have been any decent artifact spears in vanilla Morrowind but they were still my favourite group of weapons to use.

I'm pretty sure Spear of Bitter Mercy was in Morrowind before any xpacs.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Spear of Bitter Mercy was in Morrowind before any xpacs.
    Yes it was but IIRC it had the same stats as a Daedric spear and the enchantment was pretty crap to be honest.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is what I consider to be the best marksmen mod. There is a bunch of crazy weapons scattered all over the main island and some of the better weapons are hidden in fortresses and secret chambers. There are also special items that give you infinite bolts and arrows and an infinite throwing hammer, I only remember where the arrows one is and you are going to find it during the main quest.

Morrowind comes Alive is definitely worth the download as is Gladiator. And while you are at it, you might as well pick up better bodies and all the mods that work with it. (why did I read better beasts as better breasts?)

Clothiers of Vanderfall is a nice mod to use and makes the world more interesting.

If you download landmasses, make sure they are compatible. When you are first tweaking how you want to play, you might want to use a quick start mod that will let you rush through character creation and set you outside with all you need.

Leveled list merger Is a program that looks at all your mods and merges the list of leveled creatures into one super list & prevent conflict.USE THIS FIRST IF YOU USE MULTIPLE MODS AND DON'T FORGET TO ACTIVATE THE PLUGIN IT CREATES

You also want to some lines to your morrowind.ini file, open it with notepad. Copied from Gamespot:
    ScreenShots, Frames Per Second and Error Fix
    Go to Start, then Search Windows for files and folders named, morrowind.ini

When you find the file, double-click on the file name and open it with Notepad. Find the line, Screen Shot Enable=0 and change it to Screen Shot Enable=1.

To see your FPS, in game, find the line, Show FPS=0 and change it to Show FPS=1

To skip all of the error messages when loading all three esm files in the TES Construction Set, add the line, AllowYesToAll=1

This I recommend for poops and giggles.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are there any mods to make Morrowind's basic combat more like Oblivion's, where anything that looks like it hit does SOMETHING but skill and such define how much damage you actually do? I'd love to play the game again, but that combat system stops me in my tracks.

yalborap on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I only just started paying attention to the color of my cursor. It turns out that I could have been grabbing tons of loot, especially in the guild halls.

Alchemy is neat now that I've levelled it up past 25, and I assume it's only going to get more interesting. Is there any combination of ingredients that will create a potion with eight different effects?

jothki on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    I only just started paying attention to the color of my cursor. It turns out that I could have been grabbing tons of loot, especially in the guild halls.

Alchemy is neat now that I've levelled it up past 25, and I assume it's only going to get more interesting. Is there any combination of ingredients that will create a potion with eight different effects?

4 effects is the max.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm. That's a lot of mods. I'm leaning now towards Morrowind, with the remaining issue combat. I plan to spend a good deal of time shooting things, and I want it to at least be fun. So I'll second yalborap's question: Are there mods that improve the combat? If so, I'll be on the Morrowind train first thing in the morning.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Hmm. That's a lot of mods. I'm leaning now towards Morrowind, with the remaining issue combat. I plan to spend a good deal of time shooting things, and I want it to at least be fun. So I'll second yalborap's question: Are there mods that improve the combat? If so, I'll be on the Morrowind train first thing in the morning.

Ask and ye shall receive. This mod was so damn good that the modder was hired on by Bethesda for oblivion. Someone correct me if i am wrong.
    You also need to download morrowind enhanced to get it to work.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Ask and ye shall receive. This mod was so damn good that the modder was hired on by Bethesda for oblivion. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Now, does this also fix that pesky "whether you look like you hit or not, the random number generator decides if it works" problem, or just adds a lot of new stuff?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Now, does this also fix that pesky "whether you look like you hit or not, the random number generator decides if it works" problem, or just adds a lot of new stuff?

I do not know. It strikes me that that sort of thing is acceptable in turn based games like fallout and planescape and Arcanum, but utterly unbearable in Morrowind. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone else feel like they are getting sucked into a bottomless void when they search for morrowind mods? After I beat it with a scant few mods, I suddenly feel like I must utlize as many as possible to get the most out of it. I was at 22 but after looking over morrowind enchanced and Combat enhanced, I just dled those as well as Journal enchanced.

Somebody stop me!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

I do not know. It strikes me that that sort of thing is acceptable in turn based games like fallout and planescape and Arcanum, but utterly unbearable in Morrowind. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone else feel like they are getting sucked into a bottomless void when they search for morrowind mods? After I beat it with a scant few mods, I suddenly feel like I must utlize as many as possible to get the most out of it. I was at 22 but after looking over morrowind enchanced and Combat enhanced, I just dled those as well as Journal enchanced.

Somebody stop me!

Nevar!

Also, give that thing a quick test for me. If it fixes the combat properly, and you can find a way to similarly fix the spells....Oh man. I don't have access to a Windows PC right now, but I'll get a virtual machine running just to play Morrowind.

yalborap on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ooh. That Combat Enhanced sounds cool, especially the Rage. That just about sells me. I'll have to start watching Ebay for good prices. Thanks, you guys.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyway, back to Oblivion... :P

I think I finally decided what I'm gonna do for a character. He's magic based but uses his powers for thievery. A kind of mage/thief/assasin type dude. He doesn't actually have any stealth skills, just relies on Illusion and Alteration magic for defeating security. I also tossed in Blades so he can use any cool swords he finds, which along with his skills in Alchemy, will be heavily poisoned. He's not a battlemage though, no armor skills.

I might need to turn Deadlier Combat back on because he was a little too good earlier. Reinstalling Oblivion now because I came to the conclusion that while Qarl's Texture Pack is fucking beautiful...an 8800GTS 320 isn't enough to run it. Should've bought the 640.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Anyone know if there's an Oblivion mod that makes it so that you don't have to click so many damn times to sell things?

jothki on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That used to drive me crazy til I figured out that the up arrow key can be used as a shortcut for 'yes'

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That used to drive me crazy til I figured out that the up arrow key can be used as a shortcut for 'yes'

If you asked me to marry you right now, my response would be "up arrow key".

jothki on
  • Options
    GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, I just started playing Oblivion this morning on my PC. Seems like an awesome game, but I'm having a small problem. If I'm at 1280 resolution then the problem doesn't occur, but for the game to play smoothly I have to be in 1024 (my PC isn't the leetest, I know). At any rate, the problem is that when I'm in 1024 resolution from time to time the screen flickers a little and I see either my windows taskbar, or some other part of the desktop, or the minimize/maximize/close icons of Oblivion itself for brief moments. When that happens there's slowdown. It's a weird little glitch and it doesn't happen on any other game I have, so I was hoping maybe you guys would have an idea of what's up. Sorry to bump the thread just for my noob tech problem. I'll check out the official forums, I just figured I'd make a post here in hopes that one of you may have experienced/fixed this issue before.

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Do you have any other applications running? GAIM/Pidgin's window does that to me if I keep it on top of my desktop. Also, the antivirus pop-up message.

Glal on
  • Options
    GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Same thing happens sometimes in other games when I have McAffee or another program that has pop-ups running, but this occurs even if nothing is running except Oblivion. It's very odd.

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I tried it with a hand to hand character at level one and I think it did, not sure. Be warned that it speeds up the game so be prepared for that.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god.

I've just had a realization.

They need to make a non-buggy port of Daggerfall for the DS.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Oh god.

I've just had a realization.

They need to make a non-buggy port of Daggerfall for the DS.
    I--uh--

damn

that and simcity might just make me buy that handheld.

Aldo on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anybody got any favorite Oblivion mods? I'm using Marts Monster Mod with Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul (alliteration makes my testicles retreat into my body cavity). Not bad. Any mods that add new weapons to the random npcs? I had one (forgot the name) that added nice weapons like scimitars and falchions but it doesn't seem to work any more.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Anybody got any favorite Oblivion mods? I'm using Marts Monster Mod with Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul (alliteration makes my testicles retreat into my body cavity). Not bad. Any mods that add new weapons to the random npcs? I had one (forgot the name) that added nice weapons like scimitars and falchions but it doesn't seem to work any more.

If you're into epic battles involving huge numbers of enemies i'd suggest getting MMM, turning on the wildlife spawns, turning on the damage enhancer/durability enhancer, and downloading the Mercenaries mod and Companion Share mod. I've had some epic fights so far. One such example involved me and seven guards from Skingrad hacking our way through a literal army of Daedra on the Kvatch oblivion plane to reach the top. Between me and the npc's we must have killed something like twenty of them before we scored a single casualty.

Just be careful not to recruit any adventurers, or, if you have the newest version of MMM, the wall archers at towns. They aren't compatible with Companion Share yet, and you'll literally get -every- npc by the same name in existence following you around for some reason. With the archers that means you'll have something like thirty to fourty allies with you at all times unless you can find a place to dump them off. Personally, when I had that happen for the first time I went to some place called Crowhaven, which is a vampire lair, and dumped them off in a pit there. To my knowledge they're still down there, constantly talking and slowly getting whittled away at by the vampires.

Also, while i'm here I was wondering if anyone knew the link to the realistic life mods. It was a set of mods packaged together that added in realistic behavior (Basically tried to restore the features that the Radiant AI was supposed to have.) to the npcs in the game. It was pretty good, from what I recall.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That reminds me, is there an easy way to avoid hitting friendly npcs in combat? If I can I'd like to just completely remove friendly fire, I don't think it's worth the hassle of guards arresting me after they save my life.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That reminds me, is there an easy way to avoid hitting friendly npcs in combat? If I can I'd like to just completely remove friendly fire, I don't think it's worth the hassle of guards arresting me after they save my life.
    There isn't.

Which sucks.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    There isn't.

Which sucks.

Hmm, would it at least be possible to increase the tolerance guards have for it? I've hit quest NPCs up to two times with them just whining at me about it, though I'm unsure if they'll eventually turn on me if I keep doing that. Hopefully hitting a friendly NPC isn't hardcoded as an observable crime.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, would it at least be possible to increase the tolerance guards have for it? I've hit quest NPCs up to two times with them just whining at me about it, though I'm unsure if they'll eventually turn on me if I keep doing that. Hopefully hitting a friendly NPC isn't hardcoded as an observable crime.
    I usually yank the difficulty to the left when I have to group up with an NPC, and I quicksave a lot.

Really, the AI is horrible, so I try not to deal with it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Unfortunately difficulty doesn't affect NPC interactions at all - it just keeps you more safe.

You're allowed to hit allies in combat twice before they turn on you. Sometimes guards will turn on you after 1 hit and try to arrest you, though, and I'm not sure there's any way to get around that.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wish that the sentient NPCs would have more of a sense of gratitude. I was walking to a quest location when I ran into a camp, where I saw a nearly-dead Bandit Hedge Wizard fighting a nearly full-health Slaver Thug (an OOO addition), with the corpse of another bandit nearby. I immediately attacked the slaver, and managed to kill it. As soon as the slaver was dead, the bandit immediately turned on me.

jothki on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish that the sentient NPCs would have more of a sense of gratitude. I was walking to a quest location when I ran into a camp, where I saw a nearly-dead Bandit Hedge Wizard fighting a nearly full-health Slaver Thug (an OOO addition), with the corpse of another bandit nearby. I immediately attacked the slaver, and managed to kill it. As soon as the slaver was dead, the bandit immediately turned on me.

He's a bandit, ergo, he's a moron.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    *He's a NPC, ergo, he's a moron.

:P

I turn the difficulty down because then I can one-shot everything, so I won't have to bother with swords, arrows and fireballs flying around.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    *He's a NPC, ergo, he's a moron.

:P

I turn the difficulty down because then I can one-shot everything, so I won't have to bother with swords, arrows and fireballs flying around.

Wish I had thought of that when I had to escort the count of Cheydinhal(?)'s son through an Oblivion gate. Fucker died easier than a goddamn goblin would've.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wish I had thought of that when I had to escort the count of Cheydinhal(?)'s son through an Oblivion gate. Fucker died easier than a goddamn goblin would've.
    The moron jumped after a Fire Antronarch in the lava for me. D: Luckily I was able to retrieve his amulet.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The moron jumped after a Fire Antronarch in the lava for me. D: Luckily I was able to retrieve his amulet.

"I'll finish him off!"

edit: So I am using the wilderness mod, Giants Ultimate, and Morrowind comes alive at the same time. Meaning that for a hand to hand character, the difficulty level = 50(x^10).

edit: List of mods that make things prettier for morrowind. Stick to the primary list mods if you want to play it vanilla but with prettier graphics.

edit: Mythic lists of mods

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Can you drown people in Oblivion, people and animals you fight against?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can you drown people in Oblivion, people and animals you fight against?

Yes, but it takes a long time. I've done it a few times in dungeons. You have to get them trapped under an outcropping or a bridge so they can't surface.

Kreutz on