Options

"This OP sometimes changes..." FALLOUT 3 S.P.E.C.I.A.L EDITION DETAILS!!

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    Well, I got the first Fallout today.

OUT OF THE VAULT!

Fixed :D
    Meant Vault 15, which, by the way, I can not get into. Power's out. What do I do?

To get Fallout 1 and 2 to work on XP, just check No Mutants Allowed. They have a guide to help you.
    You'll need some rope to climb down there.
    Let me guess. Rope is in Junktown?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nah, just go to Shady Sands and make with the sneaking and the thieving and the wanton murdering when you get caught. Have to wonder why they even bothered with it, though, since IIRC that's the only the you ever have to use rope in the entire series.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You need rope for the Glow too.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's in Shady Sands? FUCK!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Nah, just go to Shady Sands and make with the sneaking and the thieving and the wanton murdering when you get caught. Have to wonder why they even bothered with it, though, since IIRC that's the only the you ever have to use rope in the entire series.

I'm sure there's definitely at least one use for the rope in Fallout 2, one of the wells in Modoc.

W2 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can think of three.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    This game is stealing my life

Between this and GTA4, I'll probably end up a serial killer next month

Well, you do have the choice to be a good guy. Those options are in there too you know.

You're silly. Silly, silly subedii.

Joking aside I actually find it difficult to play an evil character in Fallout, or any other game where I can see the in-game consequences and reactions to my actions.

Farthest I got was when I tried to do an evil runthrough of Fallout 2. I got as far as Klamath (1st city you visit), tricked Torr into leaving his cows ungaurded and going bug hunting in some caves somewhere.

Later I run into his mum who's desperately worried about him and asking whether I've seen him. Thus I end up feeling like a complete git and end up reloading the whole game just so that I can go back and help Torr guard his moo moo's and be nice to everyone.

Of course, if I consider someone evil in-game then I usually don't have a problem breaking out the Jackhammer.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Okay, so, I have dynamite now that I got in a locker on the 3rd floor of Vault 15. There is a large pile of rocks blocking a door. I can't use they dynamite on it, and timer is currently running. HELP!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay, so, I have dynamite now that I got in a locker on the 3rd floor of Vault 15. There is a large pile of rocks blocking a door. I can't use they dynamite on it, and timer is currently running. HELP!

Quick, plant it on a small child!

Pb on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pb wrote: »

Quick, plant it on a small child!
    I'm in an abandoned vault! I don't even know how to plant it!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The dynamite is just there for your own use. When you approach the pile of rocks leading to where the Overseer/command center is in Vault 13, you should have gotten a message in the text box about there being too much rubble to continue searching, along with getting some exp.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The dynamite is just there for your own use. When you approach the pile of rocks leading to where the Overseer/command center is in Vault 13, you should have gotten a message in the text box about there being too much rubble to continue searching, along with getting some exp.

Depends on your attributes. I think you need decent intelligence to get that XP.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Well, looks like I am in the wrong place, then. Or I missed a message.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is Ian with you? Give it to him and run. Very. Fast.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But I like him. He shoots things very well.

Edit: To the raider camp, I guess.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was wasting some time at work today reading the NMA preview. Aside from being hyper critical, its actually a fairly decent read, I think its also from a fairly old build at this point.

One thing I totally forgot about is that your pip boy pipes in radio waves for you, so the game has, according to the preview, about 50 licensed tracks.

Also apparently level scaling is gone, which for me is both good/bad.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Man, I'm really wanting to run through Oblivion again. This can't come fast enough. I hope there are lots of random buildings and subway tunnels and bomb shelters to explore. Fuck the storyline, give me a wrench and a trenchcoat and point me in the way of the nearest ruined city.

Well, Fallout has never been about story. They give you a fetch quest, then you have fun exploring the world.

Oblivion was no fun to explore since there was no reward, thanks to the level scaling and loot scaling, as well as having 2 tilesets.. But we shouldn't have that problem here.

I had fun in Oblivion even with the level and loot scaling. I think it'd work well if there were specific min/max caps for areas and dungeons, but hey, whatever.

I never did get into doing the same in Morrowind, perhaps I should. The only time I ever went off having fun in Morrowind was entering the first dungeon I saw, which went on for fucking HOURS, turning from a cave into some dwarven ruins halfway through.

That's what I'm hoping Fallout 3's stuff is full of. I want to go sneaking around an abandoned shopping mall, only to find a collapsed floor leading to some sewers, and at the end of the sewers, a long abandoned and never used military bunker. I have every intention of going melee/stealth in Fallout 3, if they'll let me. Sneak Sneak Sneak SLEDGEHAMMER! Woo.

Are Arena and Daggerfall any good?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was wasting some time at work today reading the NMA preview. Aside from being hyper critical, its actually a fairly decent read, I think its also from a fairly old build at this point.

One thing I totally forgot about is that your pip boy pipes in radio waves for you, so the game has, according to the preview, about 50 licensed tracks.

I'm really hoping that I can pipe my own music in for the radio channels (similar to how GTA did). As good as the licensed track listing is likely to be, I wouldn't mind switching it up with some classical or more recent jazz from time to time.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well the 360 version will have a custom soundtrack option, like every 360 game and I'm sure you'll be able to get songs into the pc version someway, even if it is just by running foobar in the background. PS3 is an unknown.

Personally, I'm going for some Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Bought so freaking hard.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well the 360 version will have a custom soundtrack option, like every 360 game and I'm sure you'll be able to get songs into the pc version someway, even if it is just by running foobar in the background. PS3 is an unknown.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm getting into the 40s/50s motif as much as I can and running one of those Old Time Radio Show streams in the background. I can't think of anything better to go with minigunning or rocketlaunching a pack of mutants than Fibber McGee's closet of doom.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was trying to convince Theresa not to leave the vault but she refused, so I murdered all of them with a knife

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm getting into the 40s/50s motif as much as I can and running one of those Old Time Radio Show streams in the background. I can't think of anything better to go with minigunning or rocketlaunching a pack of mutants than Fibber McGee's closet of doom.

Should probably find some old public service announcement vids and rip the audio from those too, just to put it in. Some of the stuff in those was classic.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I hope they still have that moody music from Fallout 1 and 2.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, I just found the ideal source for UK PIF's:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/

Awesome, I want to use some of these when playing through.

subedii on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »

Bought so freaking hard.

I hope it's not COMPLETELY gone...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I hope they come up with something less repetitive.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Nah, it was great stuff and set the mood. Tim Cain while at Troika pulled some good music into Temple of Elemental Evil as well.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It did become repetitive to me since there wasn't enough

Tim Cain made music?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Tim Cain made music?
    Not that I know of, and he didn't necessarily make niche, buggy, unfinished, fantastic, and memorable games either, but his aura sure helped. :)

I just ascribed the music trend to him as well.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

Nah, it was great stuff and set the mood. Tim Cain while at Troika pulled some good music into Temple of Elemental Evil as well.

Nah, it was actually quite annoying. See, I can state my opinion as a fact, too

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

Nah, it was actually quite annoying. See, I can state my opinion as a fact, too
    Perhaps some Fallout music would put you in a better mood.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The moody Fallout music was fantastic, but there isn't enough of it, so it is repetitive. The Vault City music was pretty awesome, though.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ahaha! Raiding motherfuckers, you're dead! Hah! Where to now? Ian already died so I can't ask him where Junktown is.

Bloody mess is a great trait.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Give him a SMG and see how much you like his stupid ass.

Bought so freaking hard.
    Same. I mean, don't take the challenge out of things in the end game.... but also, if I'm in "newbie land" for some reason, having me be evicerated by a molerat despite me wearing power armor and emptying a full magazine from a rifle into the thing is kinda stupid.
    Bloody mess is a great trait.
    Until you start shooting things with the plasma rifle... then they get disintegrated and picking up ammo becomes arduous since it all gets put in a pile.

GungHo on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Give him a SMG and see how much you like his stupid ass.

Seriously - DON'T. I think Desert Eagle is the best he can handle, maaaaaaaaaybe a hunting rifle if you've got an extra. But don't dare give him anything with a selector switch if you and Dogmeat want to stay alive.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm going to have to be cheesy and listen to Fall Out Boy while killing muties in the metro tunnels. "We do it in the dark/with smiles on our faces/we're trapped and well concealed/in secret places, we don't fight fair...."

added: I can look outside my window and see a couple of locations that have been featured in artist renderings for the game, so I sing that song in my head every day while I'm riding the train to work. I'd sing it in my head while walking home, too, except I live in NE and that's already a wasteland....

SammyF on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

Bought so freaking hard.
    Same. I mean, don't take the challenge out of things in the end game.... but also, if I'm in "newbie land" for some reason, having me be evicerated by a molerat despite me wearing power armor and emptying a full magazine from a rifle into the thing is kinda stupid.

That was more or less what I actually meant. One of the things that I didn't like about Oblivion was the level scaling everywhere where you always feel you're one step behind (the opposite is probably true, but that's what I gathered when I played it). But yeah, implementing some kind of level cap in an area would make me one happy camper.

Then again, I'm still trying to get used to PC RPGs after years of the console variety, so maybe it's just me...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Levelling scaling is gone" isn't exactly the way I'd put it, Level scaling was never IN fallout. And it can be good if implemented properly, which it isn't in Oblivion. FF8 does it better. Level scaled weak enemies are still a joke, while level scaled powerful enemies are a nightmare.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Woo! 100 days of extra water for Vault 13!

too the necropolis!

Gorilla Salad on
This discussion has been closed.