As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Poxnora!

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
116242793310.jpg

Collectible...

Strategy...

Fantasy...

Board game...

Online...

...and gorgeous hand painted and pixelled graphics!

God damn SOLD!

Ok, well the question is, is really it a good buy? It seems to have more players than that Star Chamber thing, and also, this is Java so it will work on OS X, which Star Chamber won't. Also, a buddy of mine bought Star Chamber, and they fucked him over with basically forcing him to buy umpteen expansions to play and they also added a mysterious "tax" to everything he bought (neither of us have ever seen that being mentioned when we've used our Visas online before). However, the same friend have now tried Poxnora and has 25 wins... but 20 of them are because of drop-outs. Is it like that when you register as well?

I'll probably buy a 100 pack and an expansion 10 pack or so tomorrow, but what are the prices of the singles, if I'd chose to subscribe? I didn't find it mentioned at the site. Also, any strategic buying recommendations?

My own impressions of Poxnora is that the game itself seem nice, but the interface and usability around it all needs more information and streamlining. It seems you can't see the wins/losses of other players in the chat list, for example, and there's nearly no information popups for cards and stuff on the web based interface. The trading interface also seems to be much more manual labour than the Star Chamber one.

Finally, I'm thinking of choosing the Savage Tundra faction. Any thoughts?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Collectible...

Strategy...

Fantasy...

Board game...

Online...

Had they gone with steampunk, I the PA boards may have exploded.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It does have a fairly large playerbase (usually around 400 people on as opposed to starchambers 10, even in the middle of the night.)

I've never actually subscribed but I do know the price of singles fluctuates depending on how many they're selling, and how quickly people are buying them, i think the limited edition pox harbingers they were selling in the rune store peaked at around 95$ a card. As to buying, just buy a 100 pack and trade for the cards you want. As to the factions they're all pretty well balanced..except for forglar swamp which are slightly overpowered currently and the underdepths which couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. So just pick whatever faction you had the most fun playing in the free rooms that isn't the underdepths :P i personally run a 10/10 forsaken wastes/sundered lands deck

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    star chamber does indeed work on OS X

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Animated Hero Clix.
    No thanks.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was all behind this until I found out it cost money and stuff.

I am willing to pay $40-60 for a PC or 360 game, but I cant afford to pay for digital cards and stuff like Magic Online.

I would go through too much money too fast.

The game looks wonderful though, just wish I could play it.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was hooked on this game for a while, there were a couple of things that put me off though:

The primary complaint I had was the players. They get angry if you use the good "runes" (cards) or if you run a deck that doesn't fall into a "faction" (think color in Magic). I built a deck that was just all the best runes and went out to stomp some face. Obviously it was a hodgepodge of different factions, so nearly everyone I played became infuriated at me for some reason or another. There were all these unwritten rules between the players about using certain cards together being "too good", so "courteous" players shouldn't do it. Well I'm not the type of gamer that wants to chat it up with my opponent and make friends, I like to win. I appologize. It got to the point where I could rarely finish a game, with each rune I clicked it became increasingly likey that my opponent was going to concede and call me names. This was all very different for me coming from years of playing Magic Online.

So I tried to play by their rules, I took out all the "stupid combos" and aligned my deck with a faction. I figured I could beat them with skill anyways. Unfortunately this was really boring, as there aren't enough good runes in each faction to differentiate the decks enough (at least at the time). So every time you played against faction X, you knew exactly what to expect and you played out the same battle that you've already played tens of times. Then to top it off, you still get matched with people who DON'T follow the unwritten rules of making crappy decks and you get your ass handed to you.

That was my main complaint. Other gripes include the "keywording" on cards, there are like 100 keywords that you have to remember what the abilities do and many of these (at least 20%) only appear on ONE card, so why didn't they just spell it out? Many of these keywords do almost the EXACT same thing, with just a different name, like "Teleport" and "Jump" for example. It was needlessly complicated and cluttered. To top it off, many of the abilities were so weak they were often disabilities, with others being so strong that they would "fix" them to do something completely different a few weeks later. This made the collectible aspect of the game rather frustrating as you'd trade for a playset of really awesome card X and two weeks later that card is not even playable because it was nerfed into the ground. I stuck with the game through 3 major overhauls and it totally ruined my deck each time. That wasn't pleasant. Not to mention that the cards gain experience so you waste a lot of time "leveling" them up, only to have that card become worthless later. Glad I played all those experience grind games.

I might reply to the guy who is hesitant to invest into online collectible games by relaying my policy on the matter. If you enjoy the game (demo) allow yourself to spend the regular $40-60 that you would on another game. That is typically enough to get the same level of entertainment out of any collectible game that I've found. Also, you can sell all the collectibles online if you become tired of the game. I sold my Pox Nora account for $50 on ebay without a sweat after I had tired of the game. I had maybe $70 invested into it, so I basically payed $20 to play that game over a period of several months. Surely that's not a bad deal?

I'm heavily invested in Magic Online as I've been playing it since beta several years ago, and I could easily turn around and sell all the online product.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    With the latest expansion they changed the rooms/rules around so you *have* to play with a faction 20 or 10/10 deck. There is a room where you can use anything..but no one plays in it so :|, and you can just highlight abilities to see what they do so i've never seen that as a problem..but really you just sound like someone whose not fun to play against with the "I'm not the type of gamer that wants to chat it up with my opponent and make friends, I like to win." line. I know myself and many others who play certainly don't want to spend an hour or more playing a game with someone who is so obsessed with winning they take the social aspect out of a multiplayer game

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Heh, didn't mean to imply that I was an asshole online or anything. I just like to play competitive games. Not to say that I won't say "Hi" or "Nice deck" or something like that. I play for the game first and socializing second. I don't get pissed off or anything when people want to chat, I'm just really brief, because I recognize that I'm the minority and people like you and your friends are more common. The reason I stated so in my original post was to give a heads up to people like me, not to bash on people like you, sorry if it came out that way.

I'm definitely not the type to insult people or call names when I lose or in general, and those people do seem awfully abundant in the game.

Yes, I was playing before there was helpful reminder text on the keywords, you had to actually open up your browser window and look at the card preview in the collection window for a description of what the ability did. I don't doubt that there have been many additions since I left the game, but I doubt it's become something that I would describe as "polished", because it was a long way from it IMO.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Chalkbot wrote: »
    I might reply to the guy who is hesitant to invest into online collectible games by relaying my policy on the matter. If you enjoy the game (demo) allow yourself to spend the regular $40-60 that you would on another game. That is typically enough to get the same level of entertainment out of any collectible game that I've found. Also, you can sell all the collectibles online if you become tired of the game. I sold my Pox Nora account for $50 on ebay without a sweat after I had tired of the game. I had maybe $70 invested into it, so I basically payed $20 to play that game over a period of several months. Surely that's not a bad deal?

I'm heavily invested in Magic Online as I've been playing it since beta several years ago, and I could easily turn around and sell all the online product.

Let me explain. I know how much I spent on Magic Online for "digital cards". It actually turned my stomach when I went back and looked at it. I still hop on and play with my ravager, squirrel or other decks I got, but I stopped buying new product a long long time ago.

I actually wish I could have turned around and sold my Magic Online stuff, but like with WoW, its most likely against the ToS and I couldn't find anyone anywho...

Just saying, I know the type of game that Pox is, and its just not something that I'm not comfortable with putting money into at this point in my life.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played this alot last summer, but sort of faded out when the first expansion appeared. It is a wicked cool game, but you do have to deal with some very unbalanced/broken spells and combos (like the classic Monsoon/Boil) and network hiccups.

I can't speak to any of the new expansions. I'm tempted to get back into it, but I've got enough other gaming goodness on my plate right now.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played this game quite a bit, still like it but hell if I'm going to pay for another collectible game.

On a sidenote...HOLY SHIT, Pox Harbingers are worth 100+ on ebay??!? Time to sell mine! I completely forgot I even had those.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Masume wrote: »
    I played this game quite a bit, still like it but hell if I'm going to pay for another collectible game.

On a sidenote...HOLY SHIT, Pox Harbingers are worth 100+ on ebay??!? Time to sell mine! I completely forgot I even had those.

It's so awesome when you realize you have stuff that's super valuable and you don't even know it.

It's like finding money in your jeans.

Etch on
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I was playing this for a while as well. Need to check to see if I have anything valuable lying around.

Here were my issues (haven't played in a while, so these may be fixed):

1. There was no way to have password protected games, so I couldn't really tell a friend to hop on and play me with out asking a bunch of people to leave the room.

2. Stupid over powered combos. People always said they were easy to counter, which was true, but there were so many of them you couldn't prepare for them all. It was like we could have just compared decks at the start of the match and figured out who would have won.

3. The tourney that was pushed back and pushed back. I wonder if it ever happened.

Other than that, it was pretty fun, and I actually really liked the graphics/style of it. It's worth checking out at least.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would probably throw a couple of dollars at this game if there are some other forumers playing.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They did do tourneys etc, gave out cards with them. They tweaked the combos a bit, least last I played they were constantly updating things. You could win even against said combos if you played it right and your deck didn't suck.

It's a FUN game, I really loved it...but I refuse to pay out costs on a random 'booster' system ala MTG and similar CCG's. No good will come of it, and money will be raped from wallet. If they had a subscription thing, I would go for that easily. Same reason why I don't bother playing MTG online.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Star Chamber is great. Too bad it pretty much died.

Echo on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dead?

Starchamber isn't dead. You can play it at the Station: http://starchamber.station.sony.com/

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Masume wrote: »
    They did do tourneys etc, gave out cards with them. They tweaked the combos a bit, least last I played they were constantly updating things. You could win even against said combos if you played it right and your deck didn't suck.

It's a FUN game, I really loved it...but I refuse to pay out costs on a random 'booster' system ala MTG and similar CCG's. No good will come of it, and money will be raped from wallet. If they had a subscription thing, I would go for that easily. Same reason why I don't bother playing MTG online.

they actually do have a subscription option now..kinda.
    "Become a PoxNora power-player. Premium Accounts will have access to our single-rune store that includes special edition runes that cannot be purchased in packs. You will also receive other premium benefits such as a free Warbanner rune, access to our beta server, ability to buy new expansion content weeks before release as well as other great enhancements. Your Premium account will also be given a monthly 10 rune booster pack allowance!"
    warbanners are awesome, but its cheaper to just buy yourself a booster pack a month and call it a subscription D:

One thing i've noticed about poxnora though is unlike MTGO which i've also played, the old cards are generally still just as good as the new ones introduced in expansions, they don't become obsolete. Which generally means you only need to buy new cards when you want to try new things/new decks and not trade off your old ones, so you really only need to spend as much money as you want to.

taliosfalcon on