As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Days Are Coming

ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Didn't see anything about this in search sooo...

The Secret World
The game will feature an original setting created by Funcom, with contemporary elements as well as "magic, myths, conspiracies and dark horrors".[6] After announcing the development of The Secret World, Funcom project director Jorgen Tharaldsen informed the press that the game uses the same engine as Age of Conan and "takes place on Earth in the present day".[1] Later, the producer and director Tørnquist debunked more rumors surrounding The Secret World: according to him, "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" in it.[7] He also denied any connection of TSW to The Longest Journey series and commented that the two screenshots of the game published up to that date[6] are from a prototype version of the game and the graphics "are already looking much, much better".[7]

http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com
The first promotional material appeared on May 8, 2007, when a picture has been was "leaked" into the internet, containing a poem, a Knights Templar seal, and several sentences in Spanish, Norwegian, French, German and Hebrew.[8] When solved, the poem led to a series of internet pages, one of them with a riddle, and, eventually, to the newly created official forum.[5]

TLDR: Basically this is one of those present day type things where evil lurks moar in the shadows right under our noses in MMO form.

2 released screenshots:
800px-TWOscreenshot02.jpg
800px-TWOscreenshot01.jpg

Do want.

16kakxt.jpg
Zephyr on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll be interested if it has Lovecraftian elements.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'll be interested if it has Lovecraftian elements.

I hope so. I say that about everything, though...

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i thought the site was a count down, but the first 4 numbers are 2008 or 2003. so what, 26 days, 31 mins after new years?

(click the o )

gunwarrior on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    i thought the site was a count down, but the first 4 numbers are 2008 or 2003. so what, 26 days, 31 mins after new years?

(click the o )

2006 18 12

is all i can get from it.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    veeeery interesting. not incredibly appealing visually, but neat concept. on my to-watch list.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where did you find those screenshots? I've never seen them before.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • XinramXinram Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So this is like that World of Darkness pen and paper thing? It sounds like it to me from what little I know of it.

Sounds neat, but I don't want to get into MMOs anymore.

Xinram on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is it me, or does she look like Lara Croft?

Also, cool concept, but something about paying monthly (so a MMO) makes things explode in my head (yes I don't know why).

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    An MMO with an original setting? Well, at least a setting that isn't Fantasy. Color me intrigued.

edit: I'll post this poster cause I think it looks awesome.

tsw_poster.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Those screenshots are OLD. They don't look anything like that now.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

few months old, but yes.

however they're the only screenshots out there.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ampix wrote: »
    Is it me, or does she look like Lara Croft?

Also, cool concept, but something about paying monthly (so a MMO) makes things explode in my head (yes I don't know why).

Definitely. Although it appears more like they grabbed Lara's character model, stuck it into their game and called it a day.

The premise sounds promising.

mrgilmorean on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

few months old, but yes.

however they're the only screenshots out there.

Try a year. :P

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    An MMO with an original setting? Well, at least a setting that isn't Fantasy. Color me intrigued.

edit: I'll post this poster cause I think it looks awesome.

tsw_poster.jpg

I hate it when game designers don't do their research properly. There's no way those tentacles will even vaguely fit into any of her orifices

Rook on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This looks really refreshing for an mmo. I like how bright and semi-realistic those screenshots are.

LavaKnight on