As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing thermal paste

plantersplanters Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to change my laptop's thermal paste cause it's ridiculously overheating, I know it's pretty easy to put on thermal paste the first time you put the CPU on cause I've done that before, so my question is how do you take the old thermal paste off? and is there a possibility that I could mess up the CPU so bad that it wouldn't work afterwards?

planters on

• Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is this one of the first Macbook Pros? I have one of those and I want to figure out how to do this, too, albeit without voiding my warranty, since apparently the thermal paste was very poorly applied to that batch.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isopropyl alcohol and effort. Also blow any dust out of the heatsink.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I do it with 99% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and coffee filters. You don't want to use any kind of cloth that will leave behind any particles, and the outside of a coffee filter fits the bill perfectly. Liberally apply the rubbing alcohol to the coffee filter and scrub away

the chances of messing up your cpu are pretty slim, pretty much the only way to damage it removing and re-applying paste would be to accidently bend some of the pins on the bottom

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aye, highest concentration isopropyl alcohol you can find and a cloth that won't leave fibers, coffee filters being the #1 cheap option.

There's also solutions that you can buy that will do a "better" job, such as this, but its benefits are negligible.

Physical damage to a CPU is pretty hard to do outside of bending pins, but make sure to touch metal things to ground yourself so you don't zap your CPU with static. The odds of that happening are pretty slim too, but be safe.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there any way to do this to a MacBook Pro without voiding your warranty? Grumble grumble I shouldn't have to worry about that of Apple could manufacture a laptop correctly...

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    Is there any way to do this to a MacBook Pro without voiding your warranty? Grumble grumble I shouldn't have to worry about that of Apple could manufacture a laptop correctly...

to put it bluntly....no :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When you say your laptop is rediculously overheating, if you mean the entire thing is getting very hot, then new thermal paste will pretty much make zero difference.

Rook on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    When you say your laptop is rediculously overheating, if you mean the entire thing is getting very hot, then new thermal paste will pretty much make zero difference.

that's not necessarily true. putting higher-quality thermal paste or grease to replace the gunk manufacturers usually use on their systems will help cool your CPU much more efficiently. however, if the entire thing is overheating, you may want to also check if the laptop's internal fans might have stopped working or if there's an excess of dust inside the system. airflow is as important as the thermal grease.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isopropyl alcohol and effort. Also blow any dust out of the heatsink.

This along with making sure you don't get any tiny gobs of paste on the mobo, Make sure the cloth is one that doesn't leave particles, IE terry cloth.

Other than that, not much to it, Don't use obscene amounts of paste when reapplying.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Alright thanks, seems pretty easy. But what kind of paste should I get? It's a compaq Presario 1500
    I cleaned the fans about 6 months ago, I mean it idles at 54-58 and if I'm watching a mere youtube video it goes to 68, then eventually to 74 and thus turning off, and it's impossible to play any games on it.

planters on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    planters wrote: »
    Alright thanks, seems pretty easy. But what kind of paste should I get? It's a compaq Presario 1500
    I cleaned the fans about 6 months ago, I mean it idles at 54-58 and if I'm watching a mere youtube video it goes to 68, then eventually to 74 and thus turning off, and it's impossible to play any games on it.

wow, that's abnormal. well, for paste/grease, you really can't go wrong with arctic silver 5 OR 6. you only need a very thin layer of the stuff and it works like a charm. the main thing is to make sure you thoroughly clean the heatsink surface and the cpu core surface (the small black square on the top of the chip) before applying the new grease. arctic silver's website should have a really good set of instructions on proper application.

i'd also make absolutely sure the fan on your heatsink is still working...

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MacBook Pros reportedly idle at ~56 degrees Celcius, and under heavy loads can go all the way to ~85-90 degrees, with both fans running at full RPMs. The Santa Rosa chips are rated to run up to 100 degrees, but honestly, they shouldn't ever pass 70 unless you're using them on a very hot day. And besides, I wouldn't want to put something like that on my lap.

Still grumblin'.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well that's a Mac, and no one cares about those.
    Another quick question, how would I take the heatsink off the CPU without breaking anything?
    And will this fix my problem?
    I was thinking of making a liquid cooling contraption sorta thing if this didn't work.

planters on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    well, you still haven't really defined "overheating" unless I totally missed it in the thread. Is the computer getting to the pont where it shuts itself down from the heat? Because if it's not, then you are most likely fine. Laptops are designed so that the whole chasis acts as a big heat dissapator, so it is supposed to get warm. Applying new thermal paste will just make better heat transfer from the CPU to the chasis, so it won't change the fact that the case gets a bit warm to the touch.

I have a Presario X1000 notebook, , I believe they are similar, and when I run the thing under load the area around the CPU becomes warm, but it's still ticking 4 years later with no issues.

EDIT: ya, I did totally miss it. That is a bit warm, but I stand by my statements on the heat dissapation.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah if I watch a video then yeah it turns off, I pretty much can't do anything except for surf and use AIM.

planters on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If it's a regular CPU/HSF combination, you just unclamp the HSF and then lift/twist it off.

Some manufacturers use thermal transfer compound that also acts as glue, in which case you can't do it.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/