As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[G&T] Little small tiny request.

13»

• Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Well, I'd say a very basic definition would be that, if the thread does not in any way involve _____, you don't need to be posting pictures of ______ in the thread.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Would the posting of images like this (that simply say "wtf" or that other silly shit) be more acceptable if the dimensions were cut down to a smaller size (and file size too)?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    Just out of interest, do we have guidelines on what are and aren't "related images"?
    I would imagine that any image that a mod doesn't post is unacceptable. However, if a mod posts the image, it is acceptable. Especially if it's of a topiary elephant.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    Just out of interest, do we have guidelines on what are and aren't "related images"?
    I would imagine that any image that a mod doesn't post is unacceptable. However, if a mod posts the image, it is acceptable. Especially if it's of a topiary elephant.
    Hey now. She just used the topiary to illustrate her point. There is no way that the mods here are above the rules. They make the rules, afterall.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    Hey now. She just used the topiary to illustrate her point. There is no way that the mods here are above the rules. They make the rules, afterall.
    Making the rules isn't something that happens on a whim. The mods mainly enforce the rules, wouldn't you say?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    Hey now. She just used the topiary to illustrate her point.
    My post had nothing to do with an elephant or a shrub. It did nothing to illustrate any point. I call that a random image.
    There is no way that the mods here are above the rules. They make the rules, afterall.
    :|

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    As much as I shouldn't be saying such, the mods are NOT above the rules. It isn't as if they get the permission to talk about ROMs and such.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Sure we are. Watch as I post tits for no reason. Oh, wait....

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    the mods aren't above the rules. but they will allow themselves more slack with the subjective "squishy" rules. it could be because they have more of a feeling for what should be allowed, and aren't afraid of "slippery slopes" as they are with others. because we know they are all mature, responsibly unbiased types.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    Sure we are. Watch as I post tits for no reason. Oh, wait....
    You're not a mod, you're an admin. THAT qualifies you to be over the rules.

Wait, why am I encouraging you?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    because we know they are all mature, responsibly unbiased types.
    No, we're not. That's why people are terrified of baiting us, being snarky with us, challenging us, and generally disagreeing with anything we say. Raar.

Edited for clarity.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    No, we're not. That's why people are terrified of baiting us, being snarky with us, challenging us, and generally disagreeing with anything we say. Raar.
    Apotheos wrote:
    Moral Deficit has been banned for a week. I jailed him for trolling, so he taunted me. Maybe he is happy now, you'll have to ask him.
    :winky:

Henroid on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    I can't believe a whole debate has grown out of this.

There is a natural progression to this behaviour.
    1) Funny pictures with captions. These added sass to one-line replies and mockery. I'm pretty cool with this, when one-line replies are appropriate.
    2) Funny anime pictures. Most of the time this was equivalent to 1, with an asiental/japanglish twist. That was mostly ok. As it became a "thing" it drifted closer to category #3.
    3) People who think Google Image Search = Teh Funny. Completely random shit being spewed on the forum. If we didn't jail this the first time we saw it, that was our own fault.

Jailing doesn't mean we don't like you or that you should feel bad. Don't take it so damn personally. You were all out within a DAY. I'm sorry if you wanted a personal, handwritten, warning message. If you ask me, those jailings WERE the warning message.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    FenloreFenlore Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I'm pretty sure apo hits it on the nose there, jailings are the warnings, you keep fucking round you get banned. Most of the time getting jailed is getting off easy.

Fenlore on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    I can't believe a whole debate has grown out of this.

There is a natural progression to this behaviour.
    1) Funny pictures with captions. These added sass to one-line replies and mockery. I'm pretty cool with this, when one-line replies are appropriate.
    2) Funny anime pictures. Most of the time this was equivalent to 1, with an asiental/japanglish twist. That was mostly ok. As it became a "thing" it drifted closer to category #3.
    3) People who think Google Image Search = Teh Funny. Completely random shit being spewed on the forum. If we didn't jail this the first time we saw it, that was our own fault.

Jailing doesn't mean we don't like you or that you should feel bad. Don't take it so damn personally. You were all out within a DAY. I'm sorry if you wanted a personal, handwritten, warning message. If you ask me, those jailings WERE the warning message.

That seems reasonable to me. So was 3) always a jailing offence and 2) now is? Is 1) still ok? Personally I'd want to allow images of type 1), but obviously it's a mod/admin decision. I think apo's classifications are a good way of dividing the problem up, and an agreement over which ones are and aren't allowed would be great.

Toast on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Should probably mention 4) 'Flooding images all through a thread just because the other posters are doing it' as a Bad Idea (would you jump off a bridge if they all were? Bear in mind that there isn't candy and kittens at the bottom). It's the image equivalent of thread assassination/derailment, and it's really an SE thing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    And 5) Thinking that twenty lines of animated smilies is a good way to communicate a message. Doing a portrait of Mario using ASCII is pretty neat, writing fuck you with a combination of rolling eye and embarrassed smilies is not only unimpressive but drags my browser to a halt.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    And 5) Thinking that twenty lines of animated smilies is a good way to communicate a message. Doing a portrait of Mario using ASCII is pretty neat, writing fuck you with a combination of rolling eye and embarrassed smilies is not only unimpressive but drags my browser to a halt.

:wink::oops::wink::wink::oops::wink::wink:
    :oops::wink::oops::wink::oops::wink::wink:
    :oops::wink::oops::wink::oops::wink::oops:
    :oops::wink::oops::wink::oops::oops::wink:
    :wink::oops::wink::wink::oops::wink::oops:

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    FireWulff: Among the problems here is that some web browsers, safari among them, very poorly react to excessively large quantities of animated GIFs appearing on screen at once.

mcc on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Except IE! BWAHAHAHAHAAA

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    Except IE! BWAHAHAHAHAAA

The current version of Firefox is fine, too. For me, anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH