As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Bitch and Moan About Cancelled Comics

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
As you might've heard, Irredeemable Ant-Man is ending at issue 12. :v::v::v: This absolute travesty is yet another reason for me to hate everyone who didn't buy this book since, in a few months, I will be without the monthly shenanigans of Eric O'Grady. I cannot understand how people could not like this awesome book and, instead, buy crap like New Avengers and JLA. Do any of those books feature unscrupulous bastards who use their powers for personal gain, often with hilarious results? I don't think so.

This is also happening with Blade, which is going to end as the longest running Blade comic and which was kicking ass after a somewhat slow start. On the DC side, Firestorm and Flash just ended as well. In the meantime, Welcome to Tranquility is hovering on the brink, which is god damn ridiculous.

So anyway, let's bitch about series that have been, are getting, or will likely be cancelled. Where did they go wrong? Why couldn't they sustain themselves? And what, if anything, can we do to save these books from cancellation?

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Manhunter

wait

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Damn every Marvel reader not reading Ant-Man. It's not always the easiest comic to read, but it ends up treating you so well you can't say no.

Firestorm was all kinds of awesome too - come to think of it, a lot of the titles I'm reading at the moment are kinda poised on the brink on cancellation.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jonah Hex and Shadowpact are both on standby because you people don't buy them.

Jerks.

That's all I got.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't been buying Shadowpact

I stopped when I had no money

and just haven't bought it again

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jerk.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My status as a Marvel fanboy precludes me from buying any DC comics that don't star Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern. This is sorta why I don't include you and Keith in my simmering hate.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Firestorm was awesome and you idiots spent money on All Star Batman instead and if Jonah Hex gets cancelled I will hang you with your own intestines you mother fuckers.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    My status as a Marvel fanboy precludes me from buying any DC comics that don't star Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern. This is sorta why I don't include you and Keith in my simmering hate.
    Damn it Mask, buy Blue Beetle or I may have to kill you in a hall of mirrors.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really pleased by how well Marvel is doing with their new series, last I heard C-Lister books like Iron Fist, Moon Knight and The Losers are selling out. I'm glad that series other than the main heroes of the universes can still thrive and do well.

Wait

That's not bitching

Whoops.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Firestorm was awesome and you idiots spent money on All Star Batman instead and if Jonah Hex gets cancelled I will hang you with your own intestines you mother fuckers.

I bought the first Firestorm OYL issue but then my shop didn't get any more (like Aquaman) and I never jumped back on

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Solo and Tangled Web of Spider-Man had limitless possibilities because of the near complete lack of restrictions on storytelling (though I suppose the latter had to be about Spider-Man, in some way).

And Major Bummer was just fun.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    tree barktree bark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    NEXTWAVE. Technically it wasn't canceled so much as discontinued, but the Marvel universe needs more Dirk Anger.
    Zombie Dirk Anger

tree bark on
    arachnidreactor.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I found out that Monstro was in Ant-Man a bit too late. Needless to say, I'm going to track down the digests.

Also, why the hate for New Avengers?

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Doesn't O'Grady Cry when he realizes he ruined his relationship?

Sounds awful "Redeemable" to me.

And did they actually kill Pym in the Initiative or not, I missed the issue in question or it hasn't come out.

They could be just integrating him into the MU as Ant-Man.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I found out that Monstro was in Ant-Man a bit too late. Needless to say, I'm going to track down the digests.

Yeah, New Avengers is a damn good book.

Also, Pym didn't die in that issue of the Initiative, and Kirkman has said that it's possible to delay Ant-Man's cancellation if enough fans protest, ala' Manhunter.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Several of the 2099 series. Granted, the art on most of it sucked, but it had potential you bitches.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    DEFIANT.jpg

graizur on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't actually hate NA or JLA and I buy both series regularly. I just threw those names out there because, let's be honest, if they lost 5000 readers each and those readers went to just one of these cancelled series, those series would escape cancellation.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, it's technically not canceled, last I heard, but what the fuck I want my Young Avengers.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh please oh please oh please don't get my Blue Beetle cancelled, apathetic comic book fans.

Please.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They should have never cancelled The Warlord. Well they should have never ruined it and then cancelled it.

fuckers =/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So, it's technically not canceled, last I heard, but what the fuck I want my Young Avengers.

Ditto. I mean, c'mon people! What gives! I want to see Teddy's reaction when he finds out that
    the Skrull empire is gone and Kree space is stuck behind a great big barrier so no one can get in or out.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck Marvel for cancelling Priest's run on Black Panther.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Just make sure a vulture isn't nearby.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Irredeemable Ant-Man and Manhunter both deserve to be doing much better than they are/were.

Ant-Man is like a delicious comedic sorbet that regularly cleans the palette of moody angst and depressing stories that taint so many comics nowadays. It's got a great cast, beautiful art, and a protagonist that you love to hate. If anybody didn't read the book as it was coming out, I urge you to buy the first digest. It's only ten bucks. That's like, two combo meals at McDonald's. And Ant-Man won't even give you a heart attack or anything! Between Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Zombies), Phil Hester (Green Arrow, Nightwing), and Corey Walker (Invincible), it's just an amazing book.

If you don't buy it, just remember that I'll hate you forever. Forever.

And Manhunter's just an awesome action book that seamlessly blends black comedy with believable drama, while never feeling bogged down by angst. It's regularly got some of the greatest underrated artists in the industry working on it, and Marc Andreyko is definitely one of the rising stars of the comic book industry. Remember that awesome Nightwing Annual that everyone loved? Yeah, that was Andreyko. Once again, a great book with a great cast. The protagonist, Kate Spencer, is a very believably flawed heroine. She's often very down on herself (giggity) and cynical, but with a sense of humor that keeps you from disliking her. With a supporting cast made up of the former villainous henchman Dylan Battles, who now maintains Kate's equipment (giggity giggity), Cameron Chase, from the '90s series Chase, Mark Shaw, former Manhunter-turned-wannabe Azrael, and Obsidian, member of the JSA and Alan Scott's son, the book constantly has various entertaining subplots going on, but never feels bogged down or confusing.

Manhunter's currently on hiatus, with a relaunch coming up in a few months, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot when it relaunches. I'll be doing a massive megapost when it does I believe.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I hate the way Gail Simone has been writing Manhunter in Birds of Prey

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    The Irredeemable Ant-Man and Manhunter both deserve to be doing much better than they are/were.

Ant-Man is like a delicious comedic sorbet that regularly cleans the palette of moody angst and depressing stories that taint so many comics nowadays. It's got a great cast, beautiful art, and a protagonist that you love to hate. If anybody didn't read the book as it was coming out, I urge you to buy the first digest. It's only ten bucks. That's like, two combo meals at McDonald's. And Ant-Man won't even give you a heart attack or anything! Between Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Zombies), Phil Hester (Green Arrow, Nightwing), and Corey Walker (Invincible), it's just an amazing book.

If you don't buy it, just remember that I'll hate you forever. Forever.

And Manhunter's just an awesome action book that seamlessly blends black comedy with believable drama, while never feeling bogged down by angst. It's regularly got some of the greatest underrated artists in the industry working on it, and Marc Andreyko is definitely one of the rising stars of the comic book industry. Remember that awesome Nightwing Annual that everyone loved? Yeah, that was Andreyko. Once again, a great book with a great cast. The protagonist, Kate Spencer, is a very believably flawed heroine. She's often very down on herself (giggity) and cynical, but with a sense of humor that keeps you from disliking her. With a supporting cast made up of the former villainous henchman Dylan Battles, who now maintains Kate's equipment (giggity giggity), Cameron Chase, from the '90s series Chase, Mark Shaw, former Manhunter-turned-wannabe Azrael, and Obsidian, member of the JSA and Alan Scott's son, the book constantly has various entertaining subplots going on, but never feels bogged down or confusing.

Manhunter's currently on hiatus, with a relaunch coming up in a few months, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot when it relaunches. I'll be doing a massive megapost when it does I believe.

I might check out Manhunter when all the summer events die down and my pull list shrinks some. I'd really like to read some DC comics that don't regularly involve the big three.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wait whoa whoa whoa, dont tell me that Shadowpact is close ill fucking chop heads if that gets cancelled.

Im surprised at least someone isnt bitching about Hawkgirl, i know it was shitty writting but there always seemed to be a cult fan or two

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Damn it!!! I just started reading the new Antman series and already their cancelling it!?! Oh well, I still plan on getting future issues and buying the trades when they come out.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I honestly find it kind of difficult to get angry or upset about yet another Marvel or DC superhero comic getting cancelled, especially as there are so many of them already.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    I honestly find it kind of difficult to get angry or upset about yet another Marvel or DC superhero comic getting cancelled, especially as there are so many of them already.

Not even when it's one you're reading?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yes Hughtron, because every book that stars a superhero is the same, regardless of quality.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The only new super-hero comics I'm currently reading are All-Star Superman, The Spirit, Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, and Casanova. Out of those five the only one I would really miss were it cancelled is Casanova, which is worlds beyond the other titles on the list and is only nominally a super-hero title to begin with.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The only new super-hero comics I'm currently reading are All-Star Superman, The Spirit, Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, and Casanova. Out of those five the only one I would really miss were it cancelled is Casanova, which is worlds beyond the other titles on the list and is only nominally a super-hero title to begin with.

Hughtron I am telling you to shut up because All-Star Superman and The Spirit are fanfuckingtastic and I am quite frankly tired of your bitching

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Hughtron I am telling you to shut up because Astonishing X-Men and Iron Fist are fanfuckingtastic and I am quite frankly tired of your bitching

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith I am telling you I would rather have The Invisibles than All-Star Superman and, uh, Creator-Owned Something By Darwyn Cooke than The Spirit.

Anyway, this isn't about cancelled comics anymore, so I will shut up and stop bitching.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith I am telling you I would rather have The Invisibles than All-Star Superman and, uh, Creator-Owned Something By Darwyn Cooke than The Spirit.

Anyway, this isn't about cancelled comics anymore, so I will shut up and stop bitching.

I'm pretty sure Darwyn Cooke would rather be doing The Spirit than "Creator-Owned something"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Hughtron Casanova is about a secret/double/triple/dimension hopping agent not a superhero.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Doll(s/z?)

See sig and avatar

So horrible but I love this arts.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The last time I gave a crap about books getting canceled was like back in the early nineties when everything had to X TREME X-Men all the time. And some of the books either lessened in quality enough by trying to change direction I had to drop them. Then I dropped superheroes altogether for years.

Let's see there was:

Excalibur. Alan Davis wasn't Jim Lee. And this was a problem, I guess. And they weren't X-TREME. And the were in Europe. Who is that Kitty Pryde chick? Brain Braddock? Let's let Lobdell rape this book in the ass, try incorporate it into the rest of the X-books, then cancel the shit out of it. Oh, and if we could just do our best to ignore Nightcrawler and Rachel Summers and all those guys for a few years that would be swell. I guess Ellis did some good stuff on it but I never read it.

The New Warriors. Yeah. After Bagley left things went downhill fast.

Sleepwalker: man that comic was weird and awesome. Too weird apparently.

Deathlok: Dwayne McDuffie. Writing about a pacifist middle-class black man trapped in the body of a cyborg killing machine. Too interesting to last. And they also tried really hard to pretend the guy didn't exist for a few years there.

august on