Options

The 'What the hell was that game' thread

• Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok, I got two I'm sort of curious about. What is the game where you were a wizard and it was a 2d sidescroller. There was an egyptian level, and a level where there was a castle with a green sky I believe. I think your lives or health was represented by potion bottles.

Also there was a platformer game where you were an alien with suction pad feet and you had to eat fruit or something.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alright, I'll chime in with another game I can't remember the name of.

It was a pinball game on the Genesis, and pretty much all I remember about it was that, oddly enough, it contained blood. I have no idea what bled in it, but whatever it was it bled quite a bit. I recall the music being pretty good.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also there was a platformer game where you were an alien with suction pad feet and you had to eat fruit or something.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Klaymen on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Klaymen wrote: »

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
    Yep, thats the one.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deathprawn: That almost sounds like Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis, but that's probably totally off.

Zombiemambo: Devil's Crush?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Deathprawn: That almost sounds like Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis, but that's probably totally off.

I remember the game screen being a lot bigger. It was very possible to get the ball so far up that you couldn't even see the flippers anymore.

:^: on the name by the way.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Here are three games that are stuck on my mind - all for Amiga.

This game where you're an eagle/hawk and you fly through a maze of mashing walls and spikes. The deaths were always very bloody.

A Mario rip off where you play as a gir... oh wait now I remember- The Great Giana Sisters

Last one - You're a dude on a planet you're really small, you start off inside a crashed space ship and you can jetpack about the area, theres like meteors n shit. Hitting the surface and caves that are built like chop lifter's.

Last one is Exile, they did an AGA version for the CD32 and A1200 that I still own to this date (In fact, iirc I bought it several years after the amiga died a death). I love the game sooo much and still have no idea what the hell is going on. The physics in it were great and you had to use frogs and had a teleporter.

The game contains other characters to interact with as well as a physics model with gravity, inertia, mass, explosions, shockwaves, water, earth, wind, and fire. Energy is required to power the weapons and jetpack system, and needs to be collected throughout the game. Finn cannot die: when he reaches a point near death he is automatically teleported to safe locations previously reached and designated by the player, and ultimately back to his orbiting spaceship: consequently in many cases it is still possible to complete the game.

A major feature to this game is the enormous and detailed world it offered for exploration. This is achieved by generating the majority of the caverns and tunnels from a compact but highly tuned pseudorandom process - recreating the same world from the same seed each time - augmented with a few custom-defined areas. This structure was explained in the plot as the crew of the Pericles having set up a base in a natural cave system, with Triax having his own base in caves deep below.

Exile's programming featured innovative routines like creature strategy code that knew about noises nearby, line-of-sight vision through the divaricate caves and tunnels, and enemy's memory of where the target was last seen, etc.

This was on the C64 too remember!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_%28arcade_adventure%29

In fact I'm going to put it on tonight now. Thanks for reminding me of this :)

Great Giana Sisters was almost identical to mario, even in level design!

The first one rings a bell but I can't for the life of me think what it is! Damn it!

::Edit:: We should take *solved* out of the title and use this as a general "what the hell is this game?" thread!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I remember the game screen being a lot bigger. It was very possible to get the ball so far up that you couldn't even see the flippers anymore.

:^: on the name by the way.

The screen does scroll up in Devil's Crush, but I don't think it was on Genesis.

Edit: Picture of the board.
    Board-Jaki-Crush.jpg

Wait, this is Jaki Crush. Does that have an English name? I always thought it was Devil's Crush.

A Google search reveals the Genesis port of Devil's Crush being named Dragon's Fury. Maybe it's that.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nope, definitely not.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Here are three games that are stuck on my mind - all for Amiga.

This game where you're an eagle/hawk and you fly through a maze of mashing walls and spikes. The deaths were always very bloody.

A Mario rip off where you play as a gir... oh wait now I remember- The Great Giana Sisters

Last one - You're a dude on a planet you're really small, you start off inside a crashed space ship and you can jetpack about the area, theres like meteors n shit. Hitting the surface and caves that are built like chop lifter's.

Last one is Exile, they did an AGA version for the CD32 and A1200 that I still own to this date (In fact, iirc I bought it several years after the amiga died a death). I love the game sooo much and still have no idea what the hell is going on. The physics in it were great and you had to use frogs and had a teleporter.

The game contains other characters to interact with as well as a physics model with gravity, inertia, mass, explosions, shockwaves, water, earth, wind, and fire. Energy is required to power the weapons and jetpack system, and needs to be collected throughout the game. Finn cannot die: when he reaches a point near death he is automatically teleported to safe locations previously reached and designated by the player, and ultimately back to his orbiting spaceship: consequently in many cases it is still possible to complete the game.

A major feature to this game is the enormous and detailed world it offered for exploration. This is achieved by generating the majority of the caverns and tunnels from a compact but highly tuned pseudorandom process - recreating the same world from the same seed each time - augmented with a few custom-defined areas. This structure was explained in the plot as the crew of the Pericles having set up a base in a natural cave system, with Triax having his own base in caves deep below.

Exile's programming featured innovative routines like creature strategy code that knew about noises nearby, line-of-sight vision through the divaricate caves and tunnels, and enemy's memory of where the target was last seen, etc.

This was on the C64 too remember!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_%28arcade_adventure%29

In fact I'm going to put it on tonight now. Thanks for reminding me of this :)

Great Giana Sisters was almost identical to mario, even in level design!

The first one rings a bell but I can't for the life of me think what it is! Damn it!

::Edit:: We should take *solved* out of the title and use this as a general "what the hell is this game?" thread!

You AWESOME AWESOME bastard! I've been trying to figure Exile out for 4 years.

Yeah, from what I remember of Giana sisters is that there was platforms and head stomping, bricks and shit, diamonds to coolect, goobas were basically owls, and some big fucking dragon thing at the end.

The one with the Hawk was awesome, if only I could remember it, serious for it's time it was sheer brilliance.

PS - Awesomecakes -
    http://www.symo.clara.net/exile/

PPSPANCAKESYRUP- I also vote to turn the thread into a "WTF was this game?" general thread. Nostalgic mindsex hooooooooo!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, two game for the Atari whose names I haven't ever been able to remember:

A two player game with submarines - one of them was yellow, the other one might have been blue or pink or something. I don't even really remember what you did, shoot stuff, presumably.

A game where you're a burglar or something running through a shopping mall and you've got to jump over shopping carts and black glowing piles of manure (or black flashing...somethings).

In my search I've discovered how retarded 4 year olds are, because I always thought Journey Escape was some alien trying to get home or something, but apparently it's about the band Journey (...although even now that seems like a stupid reason to make a video game)...

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    A game where you're a burglar or something running through a shopping mall and you've got to jump over shopping carts and black glowing piles of manure (or black flashing...somethings).

Keystone Kapers?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have one I vaguely remember, only played a demo of it though. It was for the PC, I remember it being hard, cos it was my first WASD game.
    You started in a city (more or less fully 3D) on foot, and had no weapons. I remember the enemies consisting of mechs guarding the outskirts of the city (and there were different coloured mechs hanging upside down on some places) and there were 2 vehicles I can remember. A sort of armoured car with some sort of cannon or osmething. Maybe machinegun. And a sort of chopper.
    It was one of my first game with vehicles (if you don't count shadow warrior) and that + WASD is why I think I remember it. I've been searching the-underdogs for it for a long time, and various other places as well, so it might not have existed at all or it is very very rare.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A two player game with submarines - one of them was yellow, the other one might have been blue or pink or something. I don't even really remember what you did, shoot stuff, presumably.
    Probably either Polaris or Air-Sea Battle. I can't find a screenshot of the submarine game for the latter anywhere.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok, maybe you guys can figure this one out...it's been bugging me for ages.

When I was young, and we had an Apple (I believe it was a IIGS), I had this kickass side-scrolling game.

I remember it playing a lot like Metroid, in that you explored a fairly large world, you could (via jumping or other means) explore up and down as well as normal sidescrolling. There were items and such to find, and it was pretty brtually difficult. Any ideas?

I cannot for the life of me remember anything else about it, but I would know it in a second if I saw it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »

Oh my god, you are my fucking hero. I've spent like, 10 years wondering what that game was, and that's it, no question.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Probably either Polaris or Air-Sea Battle. I can't find a screenshot of the submarine game for the latter anywhere.

Maybe Seaquest from Activision? My best friend and I used to play that one a lot when we were kids. Excellent graphics for the time.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys I vaguely remember and isometric game for maybe an old Apple that took place in I think feudal Japan. Maybe you were a ninja. Any ideas?

august on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    so after reading this i tried to think of any games ive played that i remember but cant recall the name. so.

there was a wrestling game on SNES (pretty sure, or maybe genesis). it was non-licensed, and there was a japanese-style wrestler named kabuki(?) with green hair, and perhaps a bald fat guy similar to george the animal steele. and i think someone could electrocute you. maybe.

Saturday Night Slam Masters?
    way late, but that's the one. and i realize now that the reason i couldnt remember its name is that, apparently, i had no idea what it was called ever. cuz that name didnt ring any bells, but a quick GIS (hehe) proved it to be true. strange.

edit: holy shit that game had haggar! awesome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Guys I vaguely remember and isometric game for maybe an old Apple that took place in I think feudal Japan. Maybe you were a ninja. Any ideas?

The Last Ninja?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »

The Last Ninja?

YES thank you.

august on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay I'm going to try my hand at this, but forgive me for providing few details.

It was on the computer (I don't remember the OS at the time, because I honestly didn't know that computers had "OSes" on them, I was about 12-13 at the time... In Germany) and it was a click adventure game. Sorta like King's Quest in that vein. I'm sure it wasn't any of the King's Quest games.

I remember it looked really western, and you walked around the small town. One specific part I remember was trying to combine some chemicals to make something, but something goes wrong and you have to make yourself a gas mask... And my friend and I always died right afterward.

If you guys can't remember it, that's cool. I know there are few details given. But I thought the game started with an F... but I am more than likely mistaken.

urahonky on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok, I got two I'm sort of curious about. What is the game where you were a wizard and it was a 2d sidescroller. There was an egyptian level, and a level where there was a castle with a green sky I believe. I think your lives or health was represented by potion bottles.

Magician Lord for the NeoGeo?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I'm going to try my hand at this, but forgive me for providing few details.

It was on the computer (I don't remember the OS at the time, because I honestly didn't know that computers had "OSes" on them, I was about 12-13 at the time... In Germany) and it was a click adventure game. Sorta like King's Quest in that vein. I'm sure it wasn't any of the King's Quest games.

I remember it looked really western, and you walked around the small town. One specific part I remember was trying to combine some chemicals to make something, but something goes wrong and you have to make yourself a gas mask... And my friend and I always died right afterward.

If you guys can't remember it, that's cool. I know there are few details given. But I thought the game started with an F... but I am more than likely mistaken.

Sounds like Silverload, but that may have been a console title.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Theres one for PSOne I can't remember. The cover had a boy and a pink rabbit thing standing beside eachother. The game also feature these characters. I recall it being an RPG. You start off wandering around a town.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Looks close, but it wasn't like Myst, it was sorta like a click-to-move game... around the Kings Quest games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay. Side scrolling 2D airplane game. Think it's apple II, but I could be misremembering. Probably was 16 color graphics - but again, my memory is hazy.

You chose your armament then took off from a carrier, and bombed and strafed stuff on an island (There were islands to both the left and right of the carrier), then you could fly back and try to land on the carrier and reload.

I think the airplane was blue.

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Overlord wrote: »
    Theres one for PSOne I can't remember. The cover had a boy and a pink rabbit thing standing beside eachother. The game also feature these characters. I recall it being an RPG. You start off wandering around a town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian%27s_Crusade

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Looks close, but it wasn't like Myst, it was sorta like a click-to-move game... around the Kings Quest games.

All I can think of is The Prophecy, but I don't think that's it.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh shit, I found my game out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Pharkas:_Frontier_Pharmacist

I searched Western Games on wikipedia and it listed them all.

Holy shit I have to get ahold of this game somehow.

EDIT: Hah, imagine that. Made by Sierra.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone know an old DOS Doom clone that allowed you to turn into monsters? I think the title had the word 'shadow' or 'shadows' somewhere. I also think the game I played was the second in the series...

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks Vincent, thats it :)

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Anyone know an old DOS Doom clone that allowed you to turn into monsters? I think the title had the word 'shadow' or 'shadows' somewhere. I also think the game I played was the second in the series...
    Shadowcaster. It was a one-off title, though.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "jacob has a fever"

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is gonna be an easy one, I think, but it's been bugging me for awhile.

It's a two-player versus strategy game on the Genesis (I think). You have red guys versus blue guys, with flamethrowers and rocket launchers and whatnot. It's been awhile since I've played it, hopefully someone remembers it.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a feeling someone will know this, since I vaguely remember it being a popular game.

NES. 2d sidescroller. Had different stages, each with a different cultural flair (Indian, European). Each stage had an orb (or something) at the end which you had to collect. Get em all to unlock the final stage. Don't have any real clear memories other than that.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alright, here's mine:

NES game, maybe SNES. Really detailed platformer, with huge levels and tiny sprites. You played as a guy in a giant robot, fighting against AI rebel robots and/or invading aliens. Lots of different weapons and power-ups. Hard as hell too, don't think I ever made it past the 2nd level. 1st level was a long, mostly single height cityscape, 2nd level was a ginormous tower.

XenoZergie on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    This is gonna be an easy one, I think, but it's been bugging me for awhile.

It's a two-player versus strategy game on the Genesis (I think). You have red guys versus blue guys, with flamethrowers and rocket launchers and whatnot. It's been awhile since I've played it, hopefully someone remembers it.
    Sounds like General Chaos.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yup, that's it. Wish I still had it :(

Werewulfy on