Options

Trivial facts

• Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Richard Nixon forbade backgammon playing in the White House during his administration.

China makes 86 percent of the world's reading glasses.

Three legged dogs suffer less arthritis than their four-legged brethren.

As measured by overall impacts, adjusted by pounds per square inch, and taking into account 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree bruises, as well as more severe ailments such as separated shoulders, college lacrosse is judged by the World Congress of Sports Physicians to be the physically most brutal sport.

Experts predict that by May 2nd 2011, due to the explosion in the amount of text messaging being done in China, the amount of information entered via cell phone keypads and other handheld devices will surpass the amount of information entered via traditional keyboards.

Among graduates who throw their mortar board into the air at the end of the graduation ceremony, 69 percent do not get theirs back.

A cat is twice as likely to be fatally injured if it falls between two and six stories, than if it falls seven to 32 stories.

Originally, Twinkies were produced with banana filling, but this was replaced with a vanilla filling due to the rationing of bananas during World War II.

In a race for Virginia House of Burgesses, George Washington's campaign gave away 160 gallons of alcohol on election day, about a quart and a half per voter.

Nine state Departments of Motor Vehicles will skip a sequentially generated license plate if it contains the number "666."

The Great Wall of China is 2,800 times more massive than the Great Pyramid of Giza.

While cardboard is of course "naturally" brown, post-recycled cardboard is actually off-white due to the bleach used during the pulping process and must be dyed brown to be acceptable to consumers.

Prolonged erections are the leading cause of hypoxic brain damage among men.

The FBI estimates that six percent of government workers are foreign spies.

The newest Apple iPod has 22,500 times more computing power than the Apple I created 30 years earlier.

The tradition of slumber parties arose in 17th century England when children were temporarily sent away to friend's or relative's homes to protect them from outbreaks of "the death fog", which is now known as cholera.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    robosax.gif

slow on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Three legged dogs suffer less arthritis than their four-legged brethren.

hmm i wonder why

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bearcat wrote: »
    A cat is twice as likely to be fatally injured if it falls between two and six stories, than if it falls seven to 32 stories.

Someone explain this to me with science.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cats are weird.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    dammit orik mine is more important for discussion

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What that factoid doesn't say:

above 32 stories, cats are immortal

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I

what

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    The Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal is farther East than the Atlantic entrance.

Maybe I'm retarded, but how does this work exactly?

http://www.orwelltoday.com/panamacanal.jpg

Yeah, guess I'm retarded. I'd always assumed it ran East to West not North to South

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    oh fuck you monkeybomb goddamnit

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    fact: up is down, 50% of the time

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm guessing this is based off of this story that this guy someone knew heard about this cat, right? This cat totally fell off of the guy's balcony and fuckin' lived. Hand to God.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bent wrote: »
    fact: up is down, 50% of the time

Sex panther: 60% of the time, it works every time.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Its cause it takes a cat about 6 stories of falling to relax and stop tensing its body, thus taking less shock once hitting the ground

i guess

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is based off of this story that this guy someone knew heard about this cat, right? This cat totally fell off of the guy's balcony and fuckin' lived. Hand to God.

cats are designed wierd

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am reminded of the Office episode where Michael Scott pretends to be suicidal and plans to jump off of the building into a moon bounce castle to teach everyone a lesson.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fact: Cats can fall 20 stories and live because they just don't give a fuck.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    An Asian girl at work just asked me if I needed any supplies.

I had to fight hard to not make an offensive joke.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Wiggin wrote: »
    It is illegal to own a dog in Reykjavik, Iceland.

In 15th century Venice, the government ordered prostitutes to go topless.

The word "fuck" comes from the Middle Ages. After the plague, with a decimated population, the king of England, I believe, ordered people to have sex. This was called "fornication under command of king", or "fuck" for short.

I prefer the story about how the finger became an insult.

forbidden use of carnal knowledge

This passion for preposterous acronyms seems to be peculiar to Anglo-Americans, and some believe it started around World War I, about the same time many acronyms began popping up in government. Others I've come across include P.O.S.H. ("port outward, starboard home"), said to have been stamped on the tickets of first class passengers on India-bound British ships who wanted their cabins on the shady side of the boat during the passage through the tropics; C.O.P. ("constable on patrol"); and T.I.P. ("to insure promptness"). All are rubbish. The best guess is that "fuck" comes from the Middle English fucken, to strike, move quickly, penetrate, from the German ficken, meaning approximately the same thing. A related word may be the Middle Dutch fokken, to strike, copulate with. We get a clue here as to the level of delicacy and tenderness that has characterized the sex act down through the ages, and which is recalled by the charming epithet "fuck you."

This is pretty much what my English teacher said. Pretty sure why fuck carries a stigma over say the word sex was that fuck has more anglo-saxon roots or something, and it's used was looked down upon for that.

Backronyms are funny.

Geek: :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    did she say "suppries"

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    backronyms, that's a good term

I shall remember this the next time the "flip" argument comes up.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What that factoid doesn't say:

above 32 stories, cats are immortal

you can shoot a cat on the 33 story of any building and it will live on

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I actually saw a factoid thingy that cats will survive a fall from pretty high elevations, but there is a range somewhere in the middle where they die.

It has something to do with the cat realizing it's been falling long enough that it needs to spread out and produce more wind drag to slow its descent. In that middle range, the cat doesn't instintively figure it out in time and so it splats. Below that range, it can fall safely without needing to increase drag.

I have no idea where I heard this and it could be complete bunk.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I guess me and my cats should move up two stories.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Wiggin wrote: »
    It is illegal to own a dog in Reykjavik, Iceland.

In 15th century Venice, the government ordered prostitutes to go topless.

The word "fuck" comes from the Middle Ages. After the plague, with a decimated population, the king of England, I believe, ordered people to have sex. This was called "fornication under command of king", or "fuck" for short.

I prefer the story about how the finger became an insult.

forbidden use of carnal knowledge

Nah I'm pretty sure all of that's wrong. The first written document containing it was some half english half latin garble from 1261 perhaps? Regardless, it said something along the lines of "the monks are not in heaven because they fuck the wives of ely"

Neither of those really work for that. I believe it actually came from a german word for strike or something.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Way to be way late, Quetzi.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    someone find proof of the cat fact

it is going to bother me forever

Kovak on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    Way to be way late, Quetzi.

Forbidden use of carnal knowledge you Geek.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    Cockroaches can live for nine days without their heads, at which point they die of starvation.

Followers of the Zoroastrian religion leave their dead atop a local tower, where vultures handle the nasty business of disposing the spiritually impure flesh.

In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.

In 1992, approximately 750 deaths occurred in the United States due to workplace violence.

In Erwin, Tennessee an elephant was once hanged for murder.

In the Spanish Pyrenees, when a beekeeper dies, each of his bees is splashed with a drop of Black Ink.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do dying. However, statistically you are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by the bite of a poisonous spider.

On average, right-handed people live 9 years longer than their left-handed counterparts.

Only one in two billion people will live to be 116 or older.

Over 2500 left handed people are killed each year from using products made for right handed people.

Over the last 50 years in the United States, approximately 9,000 people have died as a result of tornadoes, 5,000 as the result of floods, and 4,000 as the result of hurricanes.

The Buddhist priest and mystic, Kukai, who died on 23 April 835, is believed by his followers to have become a 'Buddha in his own body' by mummifying himself while still alive.

The leading cause of deaths for children between the ages of 1 and 4 are motor vehicle crashes.

The most extraordinary thing about the Tarim mummies of Xinjiang province in China is that these naturally-preserved bodies are not Chinese but Caucasian. Discovered in the Takla Makan desert, the mummies are dressed in what has been described as a 'Celtic tartan' style of clothing.

The tiny poison arrow frog has enough poison to kill over 2200 people!

When a person dies, hearing is generally the last sense to go. The first sense lost is usually sight. Then follows taste, smell, and touch.

When Thomas Edison died in 1941; Henry Ford captured his last dying breath in a bottle.

When Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, leader of the Russian Revolution, died in 1924, his body was mummified and placed on display at the Kremlin wall in Moscow.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/why-cats-land-on-their-feet/page1.aspx
    In a study from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, two veterinarians examined 132 cases of cats that had fallen out of high-rise windows. On average, the cats fell 5.5 stories, but 90 percent survived, although many suffered severe injuries. The number of broken bones and injuries increased with the number of stories the cat had fallen – up to seven stories. Above seven stories, however, the number of injuries declined. In other words, the farther the cat fell, the better were his chances of escaping injury.

The reason for this may be that after falling five stories or so, cats reach a terminal velocity. The velocity or speed of a falling body does not increase forever because the rate of increase in speed is interrupted by air resistance. A skydiver reaches a terminal velocity of around 130 to 140 mph after about 30 seconds of free-falling. Cats reach terminal velocity much sooner at a speed of 60 mph.

It's instinctive for both humans and animals to tense their muscles when free-falling, which makes them more susceptible to injury. When cats land before reaching top speed, they are rigid and flexed and prepared for the landing. This results in most of the force impacting the parts of the body that hit initially. However, after reaching terminal velocity, cats relax their muscles and spread themselves out like flying squirrels. This allows the impact of the fall to be spread across a larger surface area.

The explanation is kinda close to what I remembered.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.
    that is a fucking metal parrot

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In Erwin, Tennessee an elephant was once hanged for murder.

I'm trying to picture this and I just cant do it.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You are not allowed to set foot on the grounds of an oil refinery if you have a beard.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    People from Hartlepool are often referred to as monkey hangers as during the Napoleonic war they tried and hung a monkey thinking it was a French Spy.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    When Thomas Edison died in 1941; Henry Ford captured his last dying breath in a bottle.

this is true

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cornelis Drebbel, a Dutchman, was the first to construct a submarine in 1620.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

cats are designed wierd

Intelligently designed. By God.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

cats are designed wierd

Intelligently designed. By Thomas Edison.

Weaver on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

this is true

I would have sucked it out of his lungs to consume his soul.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Weaver wrote: »

cats are designed wierd

Intelligently designed. By Thomas Edison.

haha why am i laughing so much

t manifest: that is the plot of a fantasy novel i bought recently

Orikaeshigitae on