As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Biking Shorts

locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've gotten into biking recently and have decided to get some riding shorts, trunks whatever you want to call them. My question is when you go to buy these things how do you go about trying on a pair of clothing that is after all intended to be worn next to your junk that may have been tried on by someone else before this and if it doesn't feel right for you your junk has been inside something someone else will be buying.

aquabat wrote:
I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
locomotiveman on

• Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    underwear? wear your least bulky pair and you'll be fine.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just wear underwear with them until you buy them. Chances are anyone who tried it on did the same too. If you really feel uncomfortable you can wash them before you wear them, but I wouldn't worry about it before the fact.

Bike shorts are awesome, by the way. They make riding so comfortable.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a pair that have cargo shorts on the outside with the bike shorts lining on the inside. WAY better than regular shorts. Just wear underwear in the store to make sure the fit is right, then take them home and wash them if you are worried about junk germs or whatever.

Doc on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cheap cotton boxers work well for me (tiny seams).

Extra credit advice: Do spend the money/time to get a decent pair, it will make a big difference on any extended ride (padding is the bigger issue here).

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zoot Sports TRIfit 6"

I *think* this is the pair I bought last year. Pockets on the side, nice and comfortable. The padding is a little bit lighter because it's designed for triathletes though. This way the padding doesn't hold as much water coming off the swim and doesn't feel too bulky on the run. They have cycling gear too, and I'd imagine then it'd be padded a little bit better. The size chart on the page should set you up just fine.

Assuming you're alright ordering without trying on anyway, but again the sizing chart should help. Plus, this way you know no one else's junk has been in them.

Tal on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Haven't you ever bought swimwear...oh wait, boardshorts aren't really the same. For those of you not in the know, trying on underwear/swimwear is SOP for women. One keeps one's own underwear on when doing this, and the products often have a plastic sticker over the groinal area that is only removed after purchase. You won't catch anything.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HateMailHateMail Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    The shorts should be tight around your thigh. Your junk should be bulging a bit because they should be snug but not enough to cut off circulation. When you try them on just wear either some smallish boxers or some underwear, you should be able to tell if it would fit you without much effort. If your afraid to try on more than one eyeball one that looks like your size.

HateMail on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    HateMail wrote: »
    The shorts should be tight around your thigh. Your junk should be bulging a bit because they should be snug but not enough to cut off circulation. When you try them on just wear either some smallish boxers or some underwear, you should be able to tell if it would fit you without much effort. If your afraid to try on more than one eyeball one that looks like your size.

Agree and disagree. Yes to the tight fit: keeps the padding where it should be; if its not, you face issues of tissue compression (also due to soft saddles) can give you a numb rear, which can be countered by not letting soft tissues gather in the first place (close fit).

However, I would really advise against just eying one. If you are pretty squeemish about that kind of thing, try to size before trying on the one you feel will fit the best. But if you can stand it, try on the different shorts; different "models" (touring, road racing, 'hybrid') have different amounts/placement of padding; I've tried on shorts that fit well, but pad incorrectly for my needs.

EDIT: That said, if you're just starting out, you're probably not going to be hitting the distances/intensity that'll make that matter too much. So if nothing else, grab a pair you like and hit the road! You'll figure out your personal desires as you go. As long as you have a semi decent pair you'll be alright. Quibbles like extreme comfort vs. moderate comfort and little things like that are less of a priority than exploring a new sport.

Threelemmings on