As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Long Net Neutrality; It was nice knowing you

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck them. If they want to stay in the internet stone age fine. Let some Japanese company come in and supply my internet. As long as it's fast and works (and doesn't cost too much), and I can talk to someone in english, I couldn't care less WHO the company is.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    It's times like this when I'm pretty glad I'm a Canadian.

...and then I remember that most of my internets come from You Guise.

And then I weep for us all.
    Canada is in even worse shape. The few people who even know what the fuck Net Neutrality is are a very small and unprofitable minority, compared to the 5 million nubs who happily pay $40 a month for 1.5 megabit "broadband" to check their emails. Our government, and the four gigantic corporations that own most of the broadband service, couldn't give a shit.

Depends where, I guess. My ISP has unlimited BDwidht for me and I got a 10 megabit line.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    It's times like this when I'm pretty glad I'm a Canadian.

...and then I remember that most of my internets come from You Guise.

And then I weep for us all.
    Canada is in even worse shape. The few people who even know what the fuck Net Neutrality is are a very small and unprofitable minority, compared to the 5 million nubs who happily pay $40 a month for 1.5 megabit "broadband" to check their emails. Our government, and the four gigantic corporations that own most of the broadband service, couldn't give a shit.

Depends where, I guess. My ISP has unlimited BDwidht for me and I got a 10 megabit line.

You saw the part in the article that the average US downstream is 1.9Mb versus 61Mb in Japan right? I am about to get FTTP at my home and its going to be a 3Mb connection with an option to jump up to 6Mb. I know Fios has massive downstream, but that is just not that common these days. It gets worse when you think about IPTV products eating up most of the bandwidth to the home.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    God damn it. The FCC, FTC, and Supreme Court are really on a roll when it comes to screwing over Americans.

The real irony here is that they are really only hurting themselves. Its like lowering wages, sure it looks good on paper but how will your employee pay for stuff if he has no extra money to spend.

The FCC is consistently full of shit, the FTC is a bunch of greedy fucks. And the supreme court is so biased it isn't even funny.
    This shouldn't affect any MMO's... Right? I just don't want to find out that ISP's will call up an MMO and say something like "Oh hey, MMO Devs, your servers use up too much traffic, pay us $10million and we will help you out! Till then, yeah sorry, your sort of restricted." and some move like that will fuck the players because then you go linkdead and have a weaker connection due to this...

I could be wrong, but I don't think MMOs use nearly as much bandwidth as a game like Halo 3 might.

I am certain the next day after halo 3 launches-- there will be severe internet lag.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This shouldn't affect any MMO's... Right? I just don't want to find out that ISP's will call up an MMO and say something like "Oh hey, MMO Devs, your servers use up too much traffic, pay us $10million and we will help you out! Till then, yeah sorry, your sort of restricted." and some move like that will fuck the players because then you go linkdead and have a weaker connection due to this...

I could be wrong, but I don't think MMOs use nearly as much bandwidth as a game like Halo 3 might.

I am certain the next day after halo 3 launches-- there will be severe internet lag.

:|

Zek on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    The FTC can reverse this decision when we start to lag behind other countries more than we do.

When it comes to the internet the US is already a third-world country.

Echo on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    The FTC can reverse this decision when we start to lag behind other countries more than we do.

People still use dialup D:

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Are we even that high on the list? We are basically scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to internet speed. I like how the service providers blame geography for the slow speeds and say we shouldn't be compared to dense populations like Japan. Why not exactly? Is NYC not densely populated enough? What are speeds like up there?

Snowcone on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    At least we don't live in the middle east, you would have to pay six times what you do here for a similar speed. Plus there is all that business about the government in most countries censoring the web.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A communications union report has revealed that the apparently ‘high-speed internet broadband connection speeds in U.S. are in reality ‘pathetic’ in comparison with other industrialized nations.

The study was issued by the Communications Workers of America in Washington in an effort to get the Federal Communications Commission to redefine what form true high speed, USA Today reported on Tuesday.

The median U.S. speed was 1.97 mps, while the Iowans enjoyed (or perhaps were sadly stuck with) a median download speed of 1.2 megabits. The only states slower than Iowa are Alaska, West Virginia and Wyoming.

On the other hand residents of Rhode Island had reasons to smile as they were the fastest state, with 5.01 megabits. The same file that takes 15 seconds to download in Rhode Island takes more than 2 minutes to download in Iowa. So now you know how significant the difference is.

But beating any of these is Japan where users receive speeds of 661 megabits per second, South Korea averages 45 mps, France has 17 mps, and Canada has an average 7 mps.

http://www.techshout.com/internet/2007/27/us-internet-connection-speeds-lags-behind-other-countries/

My dad has broadband for $40+ a month I think for 750kps. He and my stepmother regularly check their e-mail and occasionaly look up directions. I suspect that their are legions of people out there like him. Until people realize or maybe understand that they're paying so much for so little, nothing's gonna change.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, will the internet gather together again to fight this?

Because I'll sign whatever petitions I have to, to get them to fight this.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    So, will the internet gather together again to fight this?

Because I'll sign whatever petitions I have to, to get them to fight this.

The FTC has shown it doesn't care so I suspect no amount of petitioning will help. That said, we should do it anyway just to voice our concern.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad has broadband for $40+ a month I think for 750kps. He and my stepmother regularly check their e-mail and occasionaly look up directions. I suspect that their are legions of people out there like him. Until people realize or maybe understand that they're paying so much for so little, nothing's gonna change.

When the baby boomers stop paying for a lot of the Internet and Gen X and Gen Y are paying almost all the bills, that'll change. They're still excited about email. We've moved on to something else, and eventually it'll but them in the ass (not that we haven't been bitten ourselves).

Etelmik on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It seems to me like most of the things that net neutrality proponents want protected are already protected. It's still not legal to price gouge, or monopolize or anything like that. I've just never been sure what the mystical guarantee of net neutrality means for Joe Consumer.

captaink on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    It seems to me like most of the things that net neutrality proponents want protected are already protected. It's still not legal to price gouge, or monopolize or anything like that. I've just never been sure what the mystical guarantee of net neutrality means for Joe Consumer.

You mean like cutting out certain sites or bitshaping?

Or charging more to people who play MMO's?

Or Xbox Live?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

Or Xbox Live?

*bangs forehead on desk repeatedly*

Marty81 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Or Xbox Live?

Yeah. Those things aren't legal under the current system, except bitshaping(the anti-torrent stuff, right?). The failure of net neutrality means the status quo is maintained.

captaink on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Still lots of room up here in Canada. :(

Wasn't Canada starting to debate the same thing?

We don't have anything like Net Neutrality up here in Canada. See, for instance, Rogers throttling encrypted traffic into the ground

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Or Xbox Live?

Yeah. Those things aren't legal under the current system, except bitshaping(the anti-torrent stuff, right?). The failure of net neutrality means the status quo is maintained.

Yeah, seriously.

I cannot be the only fucking person on the internet who is opposed to net neutrality.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, and reading around, that article is fucking biased as hell. Doom and gloom.

The FTC didn't KILL net neutrality. They just decided not to endorse it. They didn't urge for the death of net neutrality legislation, nor support it. They're simply staying out of the debate.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Or Xbox Live?

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal for them to randomly decide that online games, video, bittorrent, voip, and other shit are "premium services" and charge us extra for them. They might not block those types of traffic entirely, but they'll throttle the hell out of them until you pay up. The pipes do ultimately belong to the ISPs and they can refuse service to anyone, and for whatever reason, they choose.

Besides, 95% of the money they make comes from people who don't know what bittorrent is.

Azio on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Or Xbox Live?

Yeah, seriously.

I cannot be the only fucking person on the internet who is opposed to net neutrality.

I think a majority of the problem with the whole Net Neutrality debate is that everyone just assumes that every company ever will block every website on the planet and make you pay for absolutely everything extra on top of your normal fees. When in reality there are still laws against doing things like that.

No even if net neutrality goes away companies still cannot block random shit and make you pay extra for it. They aren't going to block youtube or mmorpgs or online gaming or anything. If they did that you wouldn't buy their service and then they wouldn't make money. These companies are in the business of supplying internet access they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by doing all this insane stuff people keep thinking. It would be corporate suicide if they did.

This seriously is not that big of a deal.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Or Xbox Live?

Yeah, seriously.

I think a majority of the problem with the whole Net Neutrality debate is that everyone just assumes that every company ever will block every website on the planet and make you pay for absolutely everything extra on top of your normal fees. When in reality there are still laws against doing things like that.

No even if net neutrality goes away companies still cannot block random shit and make you pay extra for it. They aren't going to block youtube or mmorpgs or online gaming or anything. If they did that you wouldn't buy their service and then they wouldn't make money. These companies are in the business of supplying internet access they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by doing all this insane stuff people keep thinking. It would be corporate suicide if they did.

This seriously is not that big of a deal.

I firmly believe that the competition between different ISPs is enough to keep the internet working the way it does. Like you said, it'd be corporate suicide.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I firmly believe that the competition between different ISPs is enough to keep the internet working the way it does
    What, all four of them? Also, do you really think the average Internet user actually pays attention to things like this?

Azio on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I firmly believe that the competition between different ISPs is enough to keep the internet working the way it does
    What, all four of them?

you honestly believe there are 4 ISPs in the nation?
    Also, do you really think the average Internet user actually pays attention to things like this?

Yes, I do.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

A bit of an exaggeration, but the majority of users are on one of the big four. Verizon, Comcast, AT&T and Cox in the States; Telus, Rogers, Shaw and Bell in Canada. And in any given region you have a choice between two, maybe three broadband providers.
    Also, do you really think the average Internet user actually pays attention to things like this?

Yes, I do.
    And your reason for thinking this is? Seriously, nobody except nerds like us is going to notice if Comcast decides to throttle the shit out of BitTorrent/YouTube/etc traffic.

Azio on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

It doesn't matter a damn bit how many ISPs there are in the nation. What matters is how many ISPs are available in any given area, which if you want broadband is sometimes as low as two. Or if you live far enough out in the boonies, one.
    Also the only competition currently is who can price gouge the worst and get away with it.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

A bit of an exaggeration, but the majority of users are on one of the big four. Verizon, Comcast, AT&T and Cox in the States; Telus, Rogers, Shaw and Bell in Canada. And in any given region you have a choice between two, maybe three broadband providers.
    Yes, I do.
    And your reason for thinking this is? Seriously, nobody except nerds like us is going to notice if Comcast decides to throttle the shit out of BitTorrent/YouTube/etc traffic.

You better believe average people are gonna notice if they suddenly cant watch youtube or get to myspace or google.

It just isn't going to happen.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

Broadband providers in Houston, Tx:

iNTERLYNC.com Internet Services, Inc.
    NightOwl Internet Gateway
    DSLi
    InstantNetworks.net
    Sunset Net
    Sunset Net
    Verizon DSL
    Wi-Five
    Talk America
    SmartBurst
    SmartBurst
    SBC Yahoo DSL
    Heath Internet
    Broadband.com
    SCR Online
    i.web
    SureWire Internet
    Cyberonic Internet Communications Inc
    MegaPath Networks, Inc.

those are the ones OTHER than the 3 you listed.

Yes, I do.

When it's reported in net guides, then yes, people will notice. Because people generally care about what they're spending money on. Especially if it's a monthly fee.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

Yes, I do.
    Because youtube is only frequented by giant nerds.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Broadband users are pretty much a captive audience. We won't go back to dialup and the ISPs know it. The capitalist approach may work in the long term, but it's going to be an extremely slow process when practically every ISP in the country currently sees no need to provide higher speed service.

Zek on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ridiculous.

broadband should be treated like a utility, like electricity, gas, and the like. the U.S. needs a nationalized broadband program, or we will continue to fall behind as a competitive economy.

instead the government will insist on lining their own pockets from the millions of dollars from telcos.

ridiculous.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    iNTERLYNC.com Internet Services, Inc.
    NightOwl Internet Gateway
    DSLi
    InstantNetworks.net
    Sunset Net
    Sunset Net
    Verizon DSL
    Wi-Five
    Talk America
    SmartBurst
    SmartBurst
    SBC Yahoo DSL
    Heath Internet
    Broadband.com
    SCR Online
    i.web
    SureWire Internet
    MegaPath Networks, Inc.

those are the ones OTHER than the 3 you listed.
    Okay, let's fix this post.
    Aside from the fact that five of the entries on that list are duplicates or part of the ones he mentioned, can you actually vouch for the service and/or support of any of these companies? The competition to be the shittest ISP is not the kind of competition end users are interested in.

In addition, all small ISPs (anything that is not a telco) buys the bandwidth from the owners of the pipes. What this means is that if the telcos decide to prioritize traffic, it affects everyone, not only the customers who are paying them directly.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What, all four of them?

Yes, I do.

Cox is AT&T, and so is most everything else.

The government doesn't work.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know how bandwidth is purchased in the US, but I know VERY damn well how it works in Australia.

Telstra Wholesale owns all ADSL DSLAMS. They own all the exchanges. This used to be a good thing, as they were owned by the government. Now they are private.

If you want to purchase directly from TW, you need to buy a lot. We are talking 100 megabit+ pipes here, and several at least.

Thus, only a few companies buy this, and sell excess to smaller ISPs.

That means if TW decided to shape bittorrent or games, EVERY SINGLE ADSL USER WOULD BE EFFECTED.

Now ADSL2, a few of the big companies are putting in their own DSLAMS, but only in metro areas. They wouldn't be effected by TW, but its entirely possible (and likely) that they will go down the premium route, as price gouging on net services is a tradition in Australia.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Australia has a really bad history when it comes to internet service.

As much as people bemoan the state of internet service in the US, I for one am fucking thankful I don't have to live in Australia.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://www.videotron.com/services/en/internet/index.jsp
    These are canadian prices (though it doesn't mean much these days).

It really isn't that bad everywhere in the world. And eventually, fat pipes like they have in various Asian countries will come to us. We'll need them.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    http://www.videotron.com/services/en/internet/index.jsp
    These are canadian prices (though it doesn't mean much these days).

It really isn't that bad everywhere in the world. And eventually, fat pipes like they have in various Asian countries will come to us. We'll need them.

It took us 8 years to go from an average of 1.5Mb/sec to...1.5Mb/sec. Yeah, we're clearly trailblazers here. Whoooo.

By the time we hit 60Mb/sec, Japan will have nationwide OC256.

MKR on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I pay roughly 25 Ameribucks (not a straight conversion) for 30 megabits, both directions.

That's kinda slow.

Echo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I pay roughly 25 Ameribucks (not a straight conversion) for 30 megabits, both directions.

That's kinda slow.

So...how hard is it to immigrate to Sweden?

MKR on