As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

does anyone know how to stop the eraser in Photoshop CSΩ from feathering

1235»

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    RRGRGRGGRG PANTONE

you got a problem with the industry standard?

yeah i invented some colors that pantone doesn't cover

Knob on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    no reason to. If they're already JPEG, the damage is done. Just save any you work on as TIFF to avoid further loss and you'll be fine.

Also, RGB TIFF images compress VERY nicely using ZIP or RAR.
    That's what I mean. I want to save them all as TIFFS so that way any work done to them isn't accidentally saved as a JPEG and, therefor, compressed more.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    RRGRGRGGRG PANTONE

you got a problem with the industry standard?

yeah i invented some colors that pantone doesn't cover

there should be a very similar equivalent. Select the color, then go into the color picker. See the next to the new/current window? the one with the little box drawn in isometric over it? That's the nearest pantone version.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    dueladentvm1.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    alright, a note on Halftone paterns.

When you are printing something, it uses the additive color method. It doesn't actually mix the inks, it uses a halftone pattern to create the illusion of them blending. You've seen this in newspapers, most notably.

A black and white gradient halftone, enlarged, looks like this.

Halftoning_introduction.png

Now, to get a four-color process print on an offset printer, you have to burn four plates for the ink to travel on. The halftone patterns for each color are set up at various angles to prevent moire patterns. I'll explain this in a minute.

Here's a good graphic that explains how this works.

Halftoningcolor.png

The angles at which the halftone screens must be place in relation to each other in order to avoid a moiré pattern from forming. The common angles used are black at 45°, magenta at 75°, yellow at 90°, and cyan at 105°.

If the patterns are not aligned jsut right, you get strange bands and waves through your picture, which is called a moiré pattern. Like this:

animatedbullseye.gif

You see moiré patterns in scans of comics quite a bit, for instance.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    alright, enough of that shit for now, unless someone has a specific question.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rank

THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME! Thank you.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    keep going if you want, this is really interesting

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    knob, save your brushes off and send them to me.

Because you do way cooler textures than I can.

lemme figure out how to export and package brushes and sure

open your brushes pallete, then click on the dropdown. Select "save brushes" and save them as something.

Pretty straight-forward.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    keep going if you want, this is really interesting

I don't know what else to cover, unless you guys have specific questions. I don't really know what else you guys want to know about. It's such a god damned complex program I could probably go on for hours about whatever, but I don't really want to do that without some sort of direction.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    uhhh transparency masks

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ah, the days when loading a 30 meg ps file would take 20 minutes...

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    first thing I do with a new computer any more is boot up photoshop to see how long it loads, then create a 8.5x11 300 dpi image, fill it with Filter>Render>Clouds and then rotate it 12.5 degrees.

That will push a processor like crazy, and it is a great test to see how well it handles math-heavy computations like that.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fedora wrote: »
    Rank, will you teach me how to photoshop? Cause damn, you know more than I do.

what do you want to know?

Uh, shit, hold on. I'd have to review. I've got a wide assortment of questions i've built up since I started teaching myself photoshop. Fun fact; I've only been using photoshop for about 8 months now. Before then I didn't know how to color anything.

fedora, tell me about how you get the wonderful textures on your drawings

is it special brushes

give to me your brushes

yeah, I've wondered that too.

My brushes are an ancient chinese secret, found here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55088505/

There's about 30 of 'em, ranging from faux water colors, chalk, detailed line shading, authetic glow, etc.

They're all I use nowadays. I'm such a ripoff artist.

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rank, will you teach me how to photoshop? Cause damn, you know more than I do.

what do you want to know?

Uh, shit, hold on. I'd have to review. I've got a wide assortment of questions i've built up since I started teaching myself photoshop. Fun fact; I've only been using photoshop for about 8 months now. Before then I didn't know how to color anything.

fedora, tell me about how you get the wonderful textures on your drawings

is it special brushes

give to me your brushes

yeah, I've wondered that too.

My brushes are an ancient chinese secret, found here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55088505/

There's about 30 of 'em, ranging from faux water colors, chalk, detailed line shading, authetic glow, etc.

They're all I use nowadays. I'm such a ripoff artist.
    oh damn that degas ripoff is done amazingly well

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, that guy's not me by the way. That's just the dude I borrowed the brushes from. He does crazy stuff.

He even makes MSpaint look good.

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    those tools are fucking great

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    fuck, cal was asking about levels and stuff.

I wrote up a huge tutorial on using adjustment layers, including adjusting levels and using the selective color tool, and firefox freaked out and I lost it.

GOd damn it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    fuck, cal was asking about levels and stuff.

I wrote up a huge tutorial on using adjustment layers, including adjusting levels and using the selective color tool, and firefox freaked out and I lost it.

GOd damn it.
    I learn more from being shown and interacting than reading stuff.

because I've got the attention span of a gnat.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png