As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LttP : Xbox

SePh1r0tHSePh1r0tH Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Alright very late...
I'm planning on buying a used original Xbox from EB this week.

So far the games I want to pickup are
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo 2
Shenmue 2
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Half-life 2

I'm also planning on getting the component cables for my hdtv since all the games support at least 480p I believe, and it seems a lot of games support 16x9.

Any suggestions for games to get?
Is it still possible to make a live account now? I have no idea really how it works.
Also is it even worth it to get live anymore?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this doesnt belong here, I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be in the help/advice forum.

FC.jpg
SePh1r0tH on

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    good list

I'd add Morrowind GOTY edition
    and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

august on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you don't mind my asking, why are you going with the original xbox, instead of the 360? Most (though admittedly, not all) of the games you mentioned work on the 360, and the fact of the matter is that The xbox is a dead system, where what there is for it now is all that there will eer be, whereas there will be new stuff coming out for the 360.

I mean, I enjoyed the hell out of my Xbox before getting my 360, and I think it's worth getting, but for only a couple hundred more (the price of only a few games) you could get the 360 instead, which also will make FAR better use of your HDTV.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yea I know your right but the games for the original Xbox are really cheap now, thats one of my main reasons. I'm making pretty good money now but I need to save it. I don't want to be spending fifty dollars on games right now when college is 30 grand a year =\.

SePh1r0tH on
    FC.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chronicles of Riddick, unless you think you'll pick up the 360 version.
    It is really, really, really good.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and Unreal Championship 2.

august on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    360s are nice, but that doesn't mean an Xbox is a bad purchase. Lots of good, cheap games. I can certainly relate, being in college too. Definitely look into Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and Riddick.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I gotta say, I hated the XBox version of Half-Life 2.... It just didn't run very well...

And Live is definitely worth it, if you have friends on Live. If you play Halo 2 without Live, you're only playing half of a game.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SePh1r0tH wrote: »
    Yea I know your right but the games for the original Xbox are really cheap now, thats one of my main reasons. I'm making pretty good money now but I need to save it. I don't want to be spending fifty dollars on games right now when college is 30 grand a year =\.

I hear you on that, and it's 60, not 50 :(

BUt the thing is, you can play most of the original xbox games on the 360 already, so you can still buy those cheap games.

Plus, even with the free silver live account, you can download free demos of games, if you get bored of what you already have, and want to play something new, but can't quite afford a new game right at the moment.

Also, on the cheap games end of the spectrum, you have plenty of good XBLA games for 5-10 bucks.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There were like two hiccups at level loads in HL2. It was an amazing achievement on that hardware.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm really tempted to buy a 360 lol...but isn't Microsoft planning on releasing a new model or something with all the reoccurring defects?

SePh1r0tH on
    FC.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm really tempted to buy a 360 lol...but isn't Microsoft planning on releasing a new model or something with all the reoccurring defects?

you mean the Elite?

it's out in NA, and as far as i know it still gets the 3 red lights and stuff i think.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

you mean the Elite?

it's out in NA, and as far as i know it still gets the 3 red lights and stuff i think.

I believe the theory is they're going to quietly fix the issues later in the year and start producing the now-less-likely-to-break 360s instead.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited July 2007
    Mercenaries!

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fable
    KotOR 1 & 2
    Jade Empire
    Phantom Dust
    Psychonauts

Those are probably the best ones I can remember that you haven't already listed.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Zephyr wrote: »

you mean the Elite?

I believe the theory is they're going to quietly fix the issues later in the year and start producing the now-less-likely-to-break 360s instead.

honestly, other than the news all deciding to reprt the same story at once, no one really knows how widespread the problem is (other than MSoft themselves)

I mean, yeah, there are folks on their third 360, but that is NOT everyone.

They ARE going to be releasing a 65nm version at some point though, I think.

Evander on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Vin Diesel will cut you if you don't play Riddick.

Echo on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your list has a serious lack of Halo 1. Get it. Seriously. It's still the best the Xbox has to offer.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's tons of fun to be had with an original Xbox. The price is minimal. The games are great. And I've found the hardware quite reliable as I still play on a launch Xbox.

Your list is solid. Another poster recommended Fable, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, and Jade Empire. And Morrowind! I fully endorse all those recommendations.

Others that are also on PS2, but perhaps you missed, include Max Payne 1 and 2, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. They are superior on the Xbox hardware anyway, especially Max Payne, and can be had for $5 in many cases. Also, I see you have Splinter Cell Double Agent on the list, and as such, I cannot recommend Chaos Theory enough. You'll find it cheap and it's well worth it if you like stealth games.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all your advice guys.

SePh1r0tH on
    FC.jpg
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Otogi 1 or 2
    Arx Fatalis

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let me throw in a couple more recommendations: Psychonauts and Voodoo Vince. These are two really excellent, under appreciated platformers. Ninja Gaiden is a classic, and Riddick was very impressive too. Halo 1, of course.

Oh oh! Project Gotham Racing 2 is perfection, as is Rallisport Challenge 2.

I've never been a huge fan of the series, but even I couldn't turn down Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Vin Diesel will cut you if you don't play Riddick.

He'll cut you even if you do. But you'll enjoy it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    You can still make Live accounts on the original Xbox, you just need to either find a subscription code card or find a friend with a 360, make an account on there and then transfer it to the OXbox using Account Recovery.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The original Xbox is still indispensibly useful for homebrew apps.

OmegaVelocity on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Violynt wrote: »
    Mercenaries!

Fuckin' rite!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png