As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Chat (Topic: Simpsonizing into a cool group shot)

OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Now... I now have a reason to belong.

Today, I had a serious conversation with PAX goers about hovercars and mechanics behind it.

Does anyone else have any strange conversations they can recall they would like to share some details about? Feel free to let the community see how strange and wonderful your mind is.

Officer on

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sounds like you shared a small glimpse into my world! lol, seriously, i hang out with some really smart geeks and we just go on sometimes about fantasy machines. it's probably the acid's doing.....

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that was one hell of a conversation. It can only be rivaled by the time travel conversations I get into with people. Now those get out of hand.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i actually have had a few good ones about ion engine space travel, as well as alternate means of propulsion (including the ever comical hooker slinger, where you take a gigantic rubber band, pull it way back, load from your stocked supply of hookers, and let loose. hopefully, that propels you enough through space to get where you're going. not very efficient, though!)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A little while back, some coworkers and I got into deep discussions about time manipulation, and one in particular has an ongoing debate with me about various sci-fi faux-pas.

In the end, it is only worth stopping time if you can shave off someone's moustache.

Not something you expect as you unload TVs from ocean containers.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not something you expect as you unload TVs from ocean containers.

For some reason as I read this I kept visualizing you unloading them at the dock into the back of a white van... and if so how about hooking me up with one of these badboys, 70" LCD Screen

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if a standard white van could accommodate a 70" LCD screen.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2007
    MY van could :D

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I work at the Best Buy/ Futureshop Western Distribution Center, so not quite a white van... more like a long series of bay doors and 40 foot long trailers full of 20" TV's.

Although, some poor guy came during the boxing day madness and wanted us to fix his new 60" in his car.

...his car being a Miata.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember talking with a guy in a Next Generation Magazine T-Shirt at the first PAX. I very much enjoyed that mag, back in the day.

I then, as I must always until my mission is completed, asked him if he knew the whereabouts of the Pong 6D footage. You see, on the very last CD that came with the magazine, they did a send up of bad game conception, development, and marketing. As it turned out, the person I was speaking to was the heavily stereotyped elitist European Amiga programmer from the movie! :shock:

Strange enough? Or are we going more for weird science strange as opposed to obscure media strange?

Blain on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blain wrote: »
    I remember talking with a guy in a Next Generation Magazine T-Shirt at the first PAX. I very much enjoyed that mag, back in the day.

I then, as I must always until my mission is completed, asked him if he knew the whereabouts of the Pong 6D footage. You see, on the very last CD that came with the magazine, they did a send up of bad game conception, development, and marketing. As it turned out, the person I was speaking to was the heavily stereotyped elitist European Amiga programmer from the movie! :shock:

Strange enough? Or are we going more for weird science strange as opposed to obscure media strange?

Strange, in all it's awesome strangeness, is appreciated.

Anything and everything people want to contribute to this thread would be great. The stranger the better.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    In fact, don't feel limited to telling stories herein, go ahead and start a conversation about something uber-geeky if the mood should strike you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will borrow from Mallrats and from Superman Returns!

Apparently Superman does not blow his load with the same amount of force as a shotgun because in Superman Returns, ordinary woman Lois Lane did conceive the Man of Steel's child. Was this an artistic license thing that the writers of Superman Returns made for the sake of the story, or was Brody wrong about Wonder Woman being the only woman with a uterus strong enough to sire the next son of Krypton?

Discuss!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This was the fault of the movie. I still consider Brodie's point valid. My friend Spook, an avid, AVID Superman fan almost got up and left at the point in Superman Returns when it became apparent that the child was Superman's. It took all of my powers to keep him in the theater for the rest of that movie. My opinion, too much artistic license from a crew who did not take into account the opinions of the fanbase regarding this matter when making the movie.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Superman is not supposed to have Baby-Momma-Dramma

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Larry Nivens Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex is the best in-depth piece I've read about Supermans chance of having offspring. He even comes up with ways for Lois to have the child, using Kryptonite belt to prevent being kicked apart by the miniature kryptonian growing inside her, which just create more problems, how much to use without killing the baby, kryptonite does harm humans over time, etc.

It's a good read.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite part is when the supersperm fly out through Lois's stomach and begin wreaking havoc on the city, punching holes in buildings and pedestrians.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now wait a minute, if that happened, wouldn't it be a problem every time Superman spanked it?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Indeed, he even goes on to say that the Kent farm must have been in real trouble when Superman reached puberty.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    See, I don't know if I buy that one.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes. Superman would be the cause of armageddon. The universal destruction of the world would be put upon Superman and his libido.

Bastard. Doesn't he know that spanking it causes blindness and hairy palms?

Which raises the question, would Superman's super vision function properly if his normal vision failed?

Officer on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    Yes. Superman would be the cause of armageddon.

Armageddon? ARMAGEDDON OUTTA HERE!

Sorry, had to...

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think Superman's super vision is really just an extension of normal vision. So, if he, hypothetically, lost his normal vision, he would lose all his vision.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    This was the fault of the movie. I still consider Brodie's point valid. My friend Spook, an avid, AVID Superman fan almost got up and left at the point in Superman Returns when it became apparent that the child was Superman's. It took all of my powers to keep him in the theater for the rest of that movie. My opinion, too much artistic license from a crew who did not take into account the opinions of the fanbase regarding this matter when making the movie.

I don't know about that... It was funny for the movie, but if we look at it biologically, working backwards from the supposed phenomenon:

If Superman DID blow his load like a shotgun, that would mean that his supernuts produced supersperm that his super-love muscle pumped at a very high PSI. If this is true, should we also assume his other body systems are equally enhanced? Is his blood pressure 3000/2000? Does the man of steel break toilets every time he takes a supercrap?

These are the burning questions we need answers to.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »

I don't know about that... It was funny for the movie, but if we look at it biologically, working backwards from the supposed phenomenon:

If Superman DID blow his load like a shotgun, that would mean that his supernuts produced supersperm that his super-love muscle pumped at a very high PSI. If this is true, should we also assume his other body systems are equally enhanced? Is his blood pressure 3000/2000? Does the man of steel break toilets every time he takes a supercrap?

These are the burning questions we need answers to.

--Tony

Good point. Also, given Superman's apparent ability to move at superspeeds, wouldn't he then have super energy deficits? I mean, in order to move his body at those speeds, his body would need to use an unbelievable amount of chemical energy. Is it possible, then, that the sun is what sustains his supermetabolism? Is his biology near that of an earth plant? Or does Superman, not in public mind you, eat disgusting amounts of food and gatorade? Perhaps his physiology is that of a solar radiation-powered, organic fusion furnace, which could also explain the excess of energy it would take to project heat from his eyes, with proper physical adaptation.

Superman's body is a mystery, and it will be solved!

Officer on
  • Options
    staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the topic centers on copulation because it is for the most part an involuntary reaction to stimuli, similar to how his sneezes are depicted. God help us if he ever got a nervous twitch.

There's already canon on why he doesn't break evey pencil he picks up up or pull every door off it's hinges. He's just super-carefull.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Being super-careful might keep him from crushing Lois Lane's pelvis during coitus, but it won't stop the sperm from shooting through her body like buckshot.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the topic centers on copulation because it is for the most part an involuntary reaction to stimuli, similar to how his sneezes are depicted. God help us if he ever got a nervous twitch.

There's already canon on why he doesn't break evey pencil he picks up up or pull every door off it's hinges. He's just super-carefull.

Yeah. He has an incredible amount of control. In the last episodes of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon he made some comments about how he normally has to hold back when fighting super villains but for Darkseid, he pulls out all the stops.

Superman can also control his vocal chords so that he can sound like other people, and so he can use his super ventriloquism power.

Yes. Super ventriloquism. Almost as lame as super knitting.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I now know never to invite superman over for glitter egg making. It would just be a bad idea.

Ooou that makes me want to do something glamourbomby now

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Topic down! Topic down!

Someone, get a replacement here. STAT!

Alright, so I was wondering, does anyone feel amicable to the idea of having a mini "Gamer swap meet" at PAX? I was kicking the idea around a bit with some friends, and pretty much we were thinking it could be kinda cool to see if people would be interested in bringing computer parts they are using, or games they don't play, systems that they don't want anymore and selling them on the cheap to other gamers.

This is by no means the only thing that could be sold. But I mean, if you aren't using something, wouldn't it be cool to know you sold it for a small amount of cash and to someone who could use it, rather than it sitting in your room/closet/garage?

Just an idea, if anyone wants to kick some feedback into the thread, feel free. Remember, free discussion.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, could be interesting, but I don't think I have any old junk to sell. Maybe back in 2004, but these days my spare computer parts museum is in short supply. As for other stuff, there's a lot of thing's I'm not currently using, just nothing I could really bear to part with (i.e. old games to which I lack working systems).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PAX_Virgin2007PAX_Virgin2007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry to be off topic, but the threads name kinda says you may speak of anything and i was wondering what your opinion about the mayan prediction for the day of armegedon being in 2012........

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sorry to be off topic, but the threads name kinda says you may speak of anything and i was wondering what your opinion about the mayan prediction for the day of armegedon being in 2012........

The Mayans are dead and therefore wrong. I rule.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I heard on a television special that they predicted many other events that occured many years in advance..........

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I heard on a television special that they predicted many other events that occured many years in advance..........

One time, I was visited by a Mayan...

Wait, no I wasn't! Cause they're dead and therefore wrong. I rule.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    touche'...... You never know, what if their blood line is still continued today.........Too bad.

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    touche'...... You never know, what if their blood line is still continued today.........Too bad.

I am not being mean about this, but if the Mayans were able to foresee the demise of their people, then I would be impressed.

The Kryptonians were unable to foresee the death of their race...

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lol and back on the topic of superman we go.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I always found it interesting that there are very few super hero good guys who fight the evils of this world alone. Where the bad guys always seem to go solo and kick the crap out of most of the super hero’s when its one on one. Is being good just so weak?

Bambooza on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bambooza wrote: »
    I always found it interesting that there are very few super hero good guys who fight the evils of this world alone. Where the bad guys always seem to go solo and kick the crap out of most of the super hero’s when its one on one. Is being good just so weak?

*A-hem*

"Now you know that evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb." -Dark Helmet

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Interesting. I can not think of a super hero who has always been alone. There is always a side kick or team or what not.

mentok1982 on
This discussion has been closed.