As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Help Building a PC

downerdowner Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I need some help on piecing together a new system.

My rig of 3+ years has bitten the dust. Rather than take the time troubleshooting it, I've decided to just build a new one. The problem is, I have not kept up-to-date on hardware.

From the old system I plan on harvesting: Hard Drives, Monitor, Peripherals.

In the past I have generally stuck to AMD and nVidia.. but I am open to all suggestions.

I am considering a price range of about $1500-$2000, but would like to stay more towards $1500. DX10 support is preferable, as I'd like this upgrade to last a little bit. I can see myself playing a good amount of ET: Quake Wars when that comes out.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

downer on

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz - $186.00
    Asus P5B-E Intel P965 - $144.99
    Corsair XMS 2GB DDR2 PC6400 (800) dual-channel (x2 1024GB) - $131.00
    Rosewill RP500 ATX V1.3/EPS12V 500w PSU - $54.99
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 - $279.99
    NZXT Lexa case - $129.99

Total - $926.96 before rebates, all from Newegg.

That's a great system right there, for much less than $1500. If you want to spend that much, however, you can go with the 640mb version of the GeForce, or even get a GTX. You could choose a Core 2 Duo Extreme, or wait for the quad-core chips. You could also opt to get a bigger, SATA hard drive, and maybe a large new TFT monitor. Up to you.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz - $186.00
    Asus P5B-E Intel P965 - $144.99
    Corsair XMS 2GB DDR2 PC6400 (800) dual-channel (x2 1024GB) - $131.00
    Rosewill RP500 ATX V1.3/EPS12V 500w PSU - $54.99
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 - $279.99
    NZXT Lexa case - $129.99

Total - $926.96 before rebates, all from Newegg.

That's a great system right there, for much less than $1500. If you want to spend that much, however, you can go with the 640mb version of the GeForce, or even get a GTX. You could choose a Core 2 Duo Extreme, or wait for the quad-core chips. You could also opt to get a bigger, SATA hard drive, and maybe a large new TFT monitor. Up to you.

This is pretty much the perfect system for anyone right now. No need to spend anywhere close to 1500.

I mean you could get a little higher end stuff, but it is not worth it at all when you compare price/performance ratio. Save that 600 dollars for upgrades down the road.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yup, it's the system that I and a friend have just ordered for ourselves... the E6420 overclocks incredibly well, if you're into that sort of thing, and is the best value for the performance you're getting. The 8800 GTS is similarly very much a bargain that's excellent value considering the high-end, DirectX10 card it is. My parts are arriving tomorrow, and I can't bloody wait ^_^

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, with the way the Australian dollar is at the moment, I'm almost tempted to order stuff from the US and cop the shipping via the exchange rate. The prices for stuff in Australia are stupid considering what you can get them for in the US, even when you do the currency conversion.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I know, Newegg has amazing prices, I wish they'd open up over here in Europe. Here in Ireland I order from Komplett.ie, which has great prices compared to the other retailers such as Elara and Peats, but it can't compete with Newegg.

Rohan on

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't forget the cost of Vista, too.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Windows Vista Home Premium - $111.99

Edit - you can get Vista Ultimate for $189.99. Over here it costs over €500, that's around $680. Goddammit Newegg, open up an online store over here!:x

Rohan on

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you can, wait until July 22nd, when most of the Intel chips will get a substantial price drop. You would be able to get a E6750 for about the same price.

FreddyD on