As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Annual Leave Ideas

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got three weeks off later this year in September from work and looking to head overseas for it, but I'm at a loss as to where I want to go. I live in a Australia and I've been over to the US and Canada before so I'm looking at heading up north this time.

I'm holding off going to Europe for a couple of years till I can head over there and spend a year or so wandering around, so I'm looking for somewhere else to go for some fun, with some history but also touristy ways to spend some time if I want to.

I'm looking at the moment at either Japan, China, Nepal or Russia however I've always been terrible at languages and while I'm sure that I'll find people who would speak English, how much is not going to be able to speak any of those languages going to hold me back if I travel there?

Any suggestions, tips or the like are welcome.

Kelor on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thailand.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    HeliosphanHeliosphan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scotland, small country but theres enough to do in the way of touristy stuff and historical places

Heliosphan on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heliosphan wrote: »
    Scotland, small country but theres enough to do in the way of touristy stuff and historical places
    Scotland is an awesome trip - check out Rosslyn Chapel, Loch Ness, St. Andrew's if you're into golf, Inverness, Edinburgh, etc.

Another idea: New Zealand. Absolutely gorgeous.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeliosphanHeliosphan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cyphr wrote: »
    Heliosphan wrote: »
    Scotland is an awesome trip - check out Rosslyn Chapel, Loch Ness, St. Andrew's if you're into golf, Inverness, Edinburgh, etc.

Another idea: New Zealand. Absolutely gorgeous.

Well pretty much anywhere you go in scotland is full of historical value and some good sites, i live in the area where Rabbie Burns lived.

but yea New Zealand would be nice as fuck as well to go

Heliosphan on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to spend a month in Iceland, Norway, and Sweden later this year, I think. Always wanted to do that.

Doc on
  • Options
    rannelvisrannelvis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    go to amsterdam. I spent 2 weeks there with a buddy of mine, and we had the time of our lives. plus everybody there speaks english, since there's so many tourists from everywhere in the world. plenty of museums, and historical stuff, the heineken brewery, anne frank museum, as well as the coffeeshops. plus, from there you could jump on a train to germany, france, italy, etc. also, september should be towards the end of, if not after, the high season, meaning not as expensive.

rannelvis on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Thailand.

I recomend this but if you want to go in september stop reading this and book now. You should be able to get 10 to 12 nights in Phuket at around 16-1800 dollars in a 3 to 3 1/2 star restaurant.

To put this in perspective it's around 15-1700 to fly to Europe at least. And AUS$50 will be enough for a huge night out on the town including dinner.

The people are insanely friend and most speak english more than passably.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally, if I could go anywhere I'd check out the rainforest while it's still possible, but that's just me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.