As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer problems

romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My laptop of 20 or so months old just recently decided to stop working on me. Last night i was using it and it froze up, after a forced shutdown and reboot it now decides not to boot up.

Basically it will go through all its bios stuff fine but half way through loading up windows xp it gives a blue screen for 1/10th of a second and then restarts and tries to boot again.

Basically im looking for any advice on what the problem is? (harware failure or corrupted boot files?) and any advice on how to fix it. I dont mind reformatting but i would really like to get some files off the HD first (music and documents etc).

romanqwerty on

• Options
    GotrGotr Ms. St Louis, MORegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of two things probably happened, and both will be annoying to fix.

Either:

There's a problem with the boot sector on your hard drive, in which case you'll need to reinstall XP at the boot sector or try installing it in a new partition and booting from there to recover your data. This normally happens when you try to install a new OS, or when you try using hard drive maintenance software that's unstable. However the most likely thing in your case, especially given the suddenness of your shutdown is that something magnetic completely depolarized the drive. If this happened, your hard drive might not even be usable anymore, but at the very least you'll need to reformat. If you install XP in a new partition then what you can do is transfer everything to the new partition then increase the size of your working partition to encompass the unusable partition. There's a good chance it won't work, but if it does you've saved yourself a TON of work.

Or there's a problem with XP itself, which you solve pretty much the same way unless you REALLY know your way around XP. I don't know enough myself to give any advice, but someone else here might or you could try a more technically oriented forum.

This thought also comes to mind: since you're having trouble booting XP itself, there's a small chance that it's having trouble with some hardware. If you've added any hardware within the last month or so, or if you've messed with any drivers or firmware recently, try removing it and see if XP boots normally. You should try removing all non-essential devices to see if it'll boot before trying anything else. If this is the case all you might need to do is replace your driver or buy new hardware.

What would be most useful for helping you is to know exactly what you were doing when it froze and what processes might have been running in the background. Also if you've messed with anything that might be important to the system.

Gotr on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/spoiler]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Umm, i was just web browsing and using MSN when it crashed, nothing invasive or heavy.
    How would i partition the drive in the bios? I have an external hard drive though, can i just install xp onto that and boot from it?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you have your Windows disk, put it in, boot off the optical drive. The first screen you come to will ask you whether you want to install windows or repair using the recovery console. Select the install option.

Carefully follow the prompts until it either asks you whether you want to install Windows on a partition, or repair Windows on a partition. If it gives you the option to repair it, you can select that. This will, in 99% of cases, allow you to boot, grab your files and then reformat.

You cannot install XP to an external hard drive and get it to function, easily or nicely, from my experience.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ok i have tried that, the recovery console doesnt give me any prompts, just a console. Help brings up a list of commands however i dont know whichs ones to use.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I meant don't go into recovery console. My bad. Select the install windows option at that point, then if it has a separate "repair windows" option, select that. Just make sure you do not do a fresh install over your current Windows installation.

devoir on