Options

Confessions of a Gamer

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    RedShell wrote: »
    I hate people who say "KB/M > Control sticks".

It's not, it's a fantasy, and only on games that are set up specifically to test your ability to mouse.

I'd say that KM+M is better for FPS's, but gamepads are better for platformers and some other kinds of games.

I think he was referring specifically to shooters there. I don't think anyone would ever argue that platformers on the PC suck 37 flavors of balls.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's not, it's a fantasy, and only on games that are set up specifically to test your ability to mouse.

Are you talking about FPS's specifically? Because a mouse is more accurate and faster, and allows you to make wide turns and fast turns. However, the analog stick is obviously better than WSAD because you get analog movement control and no W-finger-fatigue.

That doesn't necessarily make it better, it just means that if you're equally exposed to both control methods you will be more accurate with a mouse. Some people think the mouse's pinpoint accuracy is in fact a detriment because it's too accurate and thus extremely unrealistic.

There are plenty of games where you don't need pinpoint accuracy and quick spins.

Most people say KBM is better because they prefer the method they're used to, frankly, and also because they've grown used to the pinpoint shooting you need in crazy deathmatch games.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    The opening hour or so of MGS3 turned me away from the rest of the game. I don't care how awesome Snake Eater supposed to be, Virtuous Mission is exactly the kind of thing people should be fired for.

Am...Am I the only one that has no problem with Virtuous Mission?

I thought it was a great, Bond-style opening. The thing that really gets to me is that you get a 3-minute kick-ass cut-scene with jumping out of a plane, and then a 7-minute radio conversation where they open the can of bullshit philosophy before you've even started playing the damn thing. I'm all like "God dammit The Boss, SHUT UP."

Triangle button is your friend.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Are you talking about FPS's specifically? Because a mouse is more accurate and faster, and allows you to make wide turns and fast turns. However, the analog stick is obviously better than WSAD because you get analog movement control and no W-finger-fatigue.

That doesn't necessarily make it better, it just means that if you're equally exposed to both control methods you will be more accurate with a mouse. Some people think the mouse's pinpoint accuracy is in fact a detriment because it's too accurate and thus extremely unrealistic.

There are plenty of games where you don't need pinpoint accuracy and quick spins.

Most people say KBM is better because they prefer the method they're used to, frankly, and also because they've grown used to the pinpoint shooting you need in crazy deathmatch games.

The ideal method would be a Wiimote+Nunchuk-like configuration, where you move with the Nunchuk, aim with the Wiimote, but you'd need a trackball on the Wiimote to control spinning around and such (because that's the closest thing you can get to emulating the precision of a mouse).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The ideal method would be a Wiimote+Nunchuk-like configuration, where you move with the Nunchuk, aim with the Wiimote, but you'd need a trackball on the Wiimote to control spinning around and such (because that's the closest thing you can get to emulating the precision of a mouse).

Actually, I was playing a minigame in Monkeyball on the Wii, and it was an FPS thingy, and it was only afterwards that I realized how the controls worked - they were so intuitive that I didn't even think about them. The wiimote aimed at the screen, yeah, but near the edges it would turn your vision, and if you pointed it far off in one direction it would spin very quickly.

I liked it because it was super intuitive and also because it wasn't too precise or too fast like a mouse. The mouse makes you a ninja-fast sniper-accurate superhero, which is great sometimes, but I'd rather play an FPS while aiming a gun-like object.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stolls wrote: »
    The opening hour or so of MGS3 turned me away from the rest of the game. I don't care how awesome Snake Eater supposed to be, Virtuous Mission is exactly the kind of thing people should be fired for.

Am...Am I the only one that has no problem with Virtuous Mission?

I liked it, I also thought it was smart to use the full mission in the demo.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hated Planescape: Torment. The story seemed okay but I could not deal with the wretched interface and horribly boring combat and dungeon crawling, even if it was optional. Upon attempting to simply find a transcript or summary of the story, I found that there was none, so I gave up.

http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/cool.html
    Scroll down a little and it's right there :P

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really can't stand FPS on consoles outside of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I just cant get used to using the two thumbsticks after so many years of using keyboard/mouse. Alot of people say Halo/GoW/Resistence:FoM are great games, but I'll never touch them as long as they use that control scheme.

Bunta on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bunta wrote: »
    I really can't stand FPS on consoles outside of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I just cant get used to using the two thumbsticks after so many years of using keyboard/mouse. Alot of people say Halo/GoW/Resistence:FoM are great games, but I'll never touch them as long as they use that control scheme.

Makes you wonder if they were PC games, you think people would play them?

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

They'd probably go by unnoticed next to the Half-Life 2s and the FEARs of this world. The expectation of greatness for PC shooters is just so much higher than for consoles.

For instance, Half-Life is vastly superior to Halo, yet you see more people praising Halo. If it had come out on PC as originally intended, it would've made much less waves.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

They'd probably go by unnoticed next to the Half-Life 2s and the FEARs of this world. The expectation of greatness for PC shooters is just so much higher than for consoles.

For instance, Half-Life is vastly superior to Halo, yet you see more people praising Halo. If it had come out on PC as originally intended, it would've made much less waves.

I want a time machine to correct the past. But I lost Doc Brown's phone number....

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I don't doubt it wouldn't have been nearly as well known if it had come out for the PC. Being the game that allowed Microsoft to claim second place in the last-gen of consoles is a pretty big deal. But there's a reason beyond "OMG good console shooter" that it gets so much praise. As for Half-life being vastly superior... Let's just agree to disagree.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've never played Baldur's Gate 1 or 2. Not that I "hate" it or anything. Just I never got into it.

And Halo. I played some here and there of both, but I didn't see what the hubbub was about. However, I'm going to play through 1 within this next week, and then 2 after, because 3 has me really interested. Dunno if I'll take on multiplayer, right now, since I'm not a huge fan of douchebag pricks calling me "faggot" 80 bajillion times in one gaming session.

knigge on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked all of Super Mario Sunshine except for the non-FLUDD levels. They are not like 2D Marios no matter how much some tries to convince me they are.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

For instance, Half-Life is vastly superior to Halo, yet you see more people praising Halo. If it had come out on Mac as originally intended, it would've made much less waves.

Fix't

Bunta on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

For instance, Half-Life is vastly superior to Halo, yet you see more people praising Halo. If it had come out on Mac as originally intended, it would've made much less waves.

Fix't

That made me lol

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Fix't

That made me lol

It IS also completely the truth. Back in the good ol' days, Bungie was one of the foremost Mac developers.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That they were, really don't know what drove them to develop games on Mac when Windows was making larger strides.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That they were, really don't know what drove them to develop games on Mac when Windows was making larger strides.

A soul is what drove them to do that.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate the dialog in most, if not all, JRPG's.

Person 1: I was born on the planet Plutoc.

Person 2: Plutoc?

Person 1: Yes, the planet I was born on, and lived until I was a teenager.

Person 2: A teenager?

Person 1: Yes, I had a horrible life as a teenager.

Person 2: A horrible life?

Person 1: Yes, a horrible life, let me tell you all about it in detail that will last, at least, 30 minutes in a cutscene you can't skip.

Person 2: A cutscene?.............and so on.

Broktune on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah well, look who owns there Soul now. :(

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Broktune wrote: »
    I hate the dialog in most, if not all, JRPG's.

Person 1: I was born on the planet Plutoc.

Person 2: Plutoc?

Person 1: Yes, the planet I was born on, and lived until I was a teenager.

Person 2: A teenager?

Person 1: Yes, I had a horrible life as a teenager.

Person 2: A horrible life?

Person 1: Yes, a horrible life, let me tell you all about it in detail that will last, at least, 30 minutes in a cutscene you can't skip.

Person 2: A cutscene?.............and so on.

You'll notice that this occurs in every genre, you just see it more in games that have lots of dialogue. It's part of the Japanese translation. Japanese involves a lot of confirmation through repetition to show that you understand and are actively listening, apparently; that is part of the linguistic culture.

It's a pain in the ass in English though.

The only person who can get away with it is Snake.

METAL GEAR?!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

A lot of the "heart" of Bungie left the company when Microsoft bought them, stating that working for them would be against everything the company had stood for prior to then.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

A lot of the "heart" of Bungie left the company when Microsoft bought them, stating that working for them would be against everything the company had stood for prior to then.

Well where'd they go?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I honestly feel like I grew out of JRPGs. The characters are usually teenagers, and even if they're not they sure act like it. The plots are really stupid (being long and involving lots of characters != good plot) and poorly told through horrible dialogue. And they're simply much longer than the gameplay can support. Doing repetitive actions works fine in an action game because they're 10-12 hours. Doing it for 40+ hours is torture.

This was all fine when I was a teenager and had tons of free time and a limited budget, but every JRPG I've tried recently, I get really sick of by ten hours, max. It's the same crap over and over and over.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well where'd they go?

Underground. To join the Resistance. They're fighting the Man you see.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Well where'd they go?

Underground. To join the Resistance. They're fighting the Man you see.

Are they soldiers of fortune now?

yalborap on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    turtleant wrote: »
    I prefer anolog sticks to mouse and keyboard control for FPS's.

I don't like WASD anymore, and don't play shooters (or many other games) on the PC these days, because I use a computer all day at work and prefer to play games from my couch. So I've just adapted to the analog sticks. And I've played games where they work great, and games where they don't work so well. It's a quality control issue in the game itself, not an inherently weak control system, even for FPS titles.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I HATE Halo1 (love 2 though), every 3D FF except XII, I don't like MGS2 that much and even the rest of the series is quite overrated. GT bores me to death and I can't play any RE that's nor RE4 because I fall asleep.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Someone said something about hating gamer culture earlier in the thread.

You have a friend.

One of my friends absolutely loves that pure ownage crap show they put out on the internets.
    It has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

It's not really gamer culture I hate (I love games after all), but rather fanboyism and the belief that playing games make you some sort of god.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    I can't play any RE that's nor RE4 because I fall asleep.
    Oh, same here. I have to hand the controller to other people. I can help them play, but once you ask me to press the buttons, I just want to toss the controller and call it a day. So boring.

knigge on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    not to derail, but Gears of War changed my perceptions of shooters on consoles. Still don't like most of them mind you, but I tolerate them quite a bit more

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    I honestly feel like I grew out of JRPGs. The characters are usually teenagers, and even if they're not they sure act like it. The plots are really stupid (being long and involving lots of characters != good plot) and poorly told through horrible dialogue. And they're simply much longer than the gameplay can support. Doing repetitive actions works fine in an action game because they're 10-12 hours. Doing it for 40+ hours is torture.

This was all fine when I was a teenager and had tons of free time and a limited budget, but every JRPG I've tried recently, I get really sick of by ten hours, max. It's the same crap over and over and over.

And the worse thing is; is that they will never change.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played and loved Wind Waker when it first came out, and since then have played maybe 3-4 other Zelda games (including TP and OoT) and have been bored out of my mind at all of them. I think it's because all the staples of the series were fresh and new to me during WW, then in other games, I slowly discovered they were all more or less the same (to me at least). It was an endless string of "oh, that weapon's in this game too?", "oh, this character's in all the games?", etc. I recognize that they're good, they're just boring. We have a Wii and TP now, and I haven't touched it in a month, after playing for maybe two nights.

Those other games wouldn't happen to include Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening, would they? Because I can see why, if OoT and TP are the only other games you've played, you'd grow tired of the series. Hell, I won't even try TP because I've heard it's so much like OoT, which I've grown to dislike over subsequent playthroughs.
    I also really can't stand RPG's. My roommate played through tons of FF games a few years ago, while I watched intermittently, and to this day I don't understand what kept him entertained. I'd ask him what he was doing, and his reply would be something along the lines of "I should level up more before fighting ___", so he'd have a billion senseless battles to slowly make some numbers bigger until one number was bigger than another number, then he'd have a boss fight, and the numbers would get a little bigger again ZOMG! For scores of hours per game, for maybe half a dozen games. It's the same with WoW; I understand it's addictive, and if you're with a good group I'm sure it's great, but honestly, is it fun or is it a chore/routine?
    Grinding is essentially the reason why I avoid most JRPGs, and why I enjoy most western RPGs. Have you tried any of the games already mentioned? BG, Fallout, Planescape, etc. ?

As for myself, there are a few genres I avoid (JRPGs, pretty much all flavors of sports titles, rhythm games) and a few series I dislike (KH, MGS, KotOR), but for the most part, my confession would have to be the number of shitty games I enjoy. Wizards & Warriors, the CRPG headed by D. W. Bradley? Loved it. Betrayal in Antara? My brother gave me his copy because I was always playing it. I own a Bubsy game.

Masonite on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Neither Halo or God of War appeal to me, and believe you me, I wanted to like both of them.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »

You have a friend.

One of my friends absolutely loves that pure ownage crap show they put out on the internets.

It's not really gamer culture I hate (I love games after all), but rather fanboyism and the belief that playing games make you some sort of god.

That was me.
    And you got it dead on.

Cheers. 8-)

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only racing games I have ever enjoyed are Mario Kart and Mario Kart DS.

Not a fan of realistic fps games. I would much rather play something like unreal tournament as opposed to say counter strike.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »

You have a friend.

That was me.
    And you got it dead on.

Cheers. 8-)

There are some guys who make online shows about some very strange stuff, that Video Game Nerd guy who rips on old games has quite the fan base though.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let's see... I'm apathetic about most JRPGs and racing games, and I have never understood the appeal of the GTA franchise.

I've got a friend who's a carbon copy of me as far as game taste goes (HL2 ftw etc), except that he doesn't understand why I like beat-'em-ups, and he can concentrate on an MMO for more than five seconds- while I have difficulty just getting the damn things to run, it seems.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think that they should rerelease a bunch of games.

Like FF7 and Alpha Centauri. They don't even need to add anything, just make it for the PS2/3 and the PC, and sell it for 10 bucks.

I've hated Halo and GGA all of my life.

Ethan Smith on