As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tetris DS Scores/Game On!

Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
999115mv3.jpg
Score: 2,912,144
That's what i got playing endless mode this morning. also i just turned my ds off and started charging so i don't feel like grabbing my friend code. but post em here and we can get some matches going.

Endless
Forum Account - score - level

Q_Prime on

• Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish there was a better system in place, because I would make you all cry.

... cept for that one guy. But he's a dick.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ArcticXC on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tetris DS's online mode is a killer experience (to be avoided during exam time).

I discovered Tetris DS's online mode during the week before finals. I kinda wish I had read this particular piece of advice before then.

Then I got isolated without wireless for a while. After deciding that the endless mode was boring and pretty pointless, I started playing Line Clear mode a bit. Then I got tired of that, and in a state of hubris noticed the VS CPU mode decided to give that a try thinking "bah, how good can the computer be?" Well apparently at level 5 it is quite a bit better than me. I had maybe a 15% win rate against the damn thing.

Now my question is, do I just suck? Or is the AI Devilishly hard?

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tetris DS's online mode is a killer experience (to be avoided during exam time).

I discovered Tetris DS's online mode during the week before finals. I kinda wish I had read this particular piece of advice before then.

Then I got isolated without wireless for a while. After deciding that the endless mode was boring and pretty pointless, I started playing Line Clear mode a bit. Then I got tired of that, and in a state of hubris noticed the VS CPU mode decided to give that a try thinking "bah, how good can the computer be?" Well apparently at level 5 it is quite a bit better than me. I had maybe a 15% win rate against the damn thing.

yeah level 5 is pretty crazy fast, but i can beat it when it junks enough lines below me where there's one straight line through the junk. a saved up line and somd random lines do some crazy damage fast

xta on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I consider myself a decent player and yeah, 15-20% win rate against Level 5 is what I get too. You have to really be at the top of your game and hope the computer struggles a bit to beat him. The unfortunate thing is that Level 4 computer is just so damn easy, so its either too easy and no challenge or a bit too hard where even if you play well you are going to lose. It would be nice to have a slider to control difficulties in between.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I read this topic, and I thought "I'm sure I don't remember the computer AI being that hard. I'll just break out my DS and have a go. I'll show them!". Well, turns out it is that hard. I just beat it on my third or fourth go, but not without a little luck. I think it's essentially impossible to beat it all the time - if you get one bad set of blocks, your game's over.

Anyhow, I think my code is in my sig if anyone wants to play.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure there are players who would blow your mind and beat it constantly

It's tetris

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nozz wrote: »

It's tetris

Yeah, but I don't count those people because they ruin my argument.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »

It's tetris

Yeah, but I don't count those people because they ruin my argument.

touche

Nozz on
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    999 lines? Was this a two day extravaganza?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    568score.jpg
    568-1.jpg

Phoenix Smasher on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    99999999.jpg
    record.jpg

I rather wish I could have those hours (days?) of my life back.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tetris DS :O
    Who is looking for a whooping, I'll take down anybody here.
    Level 5 computer, pssht.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Level 5 computer, pssht.

Whoa put that thing away

That's a lot of dick you're waving around there

Nozz on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can beat Lvl 5 computer pretty handily.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RaginRossRaginRoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish I was better at Tetris. I can't get much further than 100 lines...:(

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    geeze, i knew people were going to take down my score. i didnt think it'd happen twice on the first page.

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Billman's is a photoshop.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I hadn't played online in like 8 or 9 months, and my rating was at like 7000. So a while ago I played a bit and got smoked by the Japanese kids.

Apparently I'm at 6460 now.. but I haven't played in months so it'll probably crap out.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ahahah Yeah first game I fucked up hard. Lost 200 .. eh.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Booo back up to 6380 or so but got beat repeatedly by some A-Okay dude with 7200. :/

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scores like billmaan's are the reason I refuse to compete for scores in an endless gametype. Inevitably it's just a matter of getting good enough that you can handle the best the game has to offer, and then spending hours going through the motions. Once the blocks start teleporting to the bottom, it's all the same.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Um, okay. Not that I expect this to convince you, but it's not faked. The game doesn't even get any harder past level 20...getting a high score in endless mode is just a matter of persistence and consistency.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh god that was way too fun. I need to play Online more often. Played a group of people that were 6200-6600 for a few rounds, and it was awesome. Got back to like 6500 something.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Um, okay. Not that I expect this to convince you, but it's not faked. The game doesn't even get any harder past level 20...getting a high score in endless mode is just a matter of persistence and consistency.

OK, I believe you now. I just wanted to make sure.

So now I'm curious; how long did it take you to get this score? You're right about it being only a matter of time, thanks to the infinite spin... I've always just kind of given up after several hours, and too lazy to plug my DS in and put it to sleep to pick it up later.

How many different blocks of time, several days? I wouldn't think anyone would want to do this all in one sitting, of course.

Anyway, online Tetris is amazing fun. I appreciate having the top screen there to show me what my opponent is doing, too. Helps set up strategies.

slash000 on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Oh god that was way too fun. I need to play Online more often. Played a group of people that were 6200-6600 for a few rounds, and it was awesome. Got back to like 6500 something.

I need to play it more too. Just got done with a rather sudden shift, went from playing a 7200 point guy to a 4500 point one. Kinda felt bad for that second guy.

I really wish it was possible to chat with people, even if the majority of the players don't seem to have English names and by extension might not speak English.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So now I'm curious; how long did it take you to get this score? You're right about it being only a matter of time, thanks to the infinite spin... I've always just kind of given up after several hours, and too lazy to plug my DS in and put it to sleep to pick it up later.

How many different blocks of time, several days? I wouldn't think anyone would want to do this all in one sitting, of course.
    Four or five days of real-world time, somewhere around 15 hours of actual game time, iirc.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Level 5 computer, pssht.

Whoa put that thing away

That's a lot of dick you're waving around there
    You know you want it :winky:

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Added this thread to the NWC thread. There are now two Tetris DS threads, so just use whatever one you want.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I am seriously pining for some Tetris right now. I'm about to go up against the world in a couple of minutes, but I'll check periodlcally to see if someone's hosting a game. Or just post here and let me know.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558