As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon?

Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
so myself and my girlfriend are heading down to orlando to well...go to disneyworld, but while the magical kingdom is kinda ho-hum for me I LOVE waterparks and it has to be a disney one since we're getting the all inclusive pass.

so from those who have been (espc at the start of nov) which is the best?

thanks all.

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
Angel177 on

• Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have been to TL and can tell you it was alot of fun. They have the most insane wavepool there and the jungle motif works out very nicely. But personally I always though blizzard beach looked neater.

Zeta on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    do both?

Also the water parks close earlier than the other parks if I remember correctly. and all the non-water parks have some sort of show to see at night.
    Assuming you have the park hopper option I'd recommend something like:

Waking up early, getting dressed for the water park but with clothes on top (yay for water park lockers).

Head to Magic Kingdom for breakfast. Either "with characters" at the crystal palace (kickass breakfast buffet with costumed character wandering about, when we went it was pooh and the gang) or breakfast at cinderella's castle.

then maybe do one or two things there before heading over to a water park.
    The shuttle buses are always coming and going between parks (and hotels if you plan to stay at Disney World).
    Spend the day at the water park, then in the late afternoon head back to your room and shower/ change and go back to a park for dinner and a nightime show.

TIPS:
    Make reservations weeks in advance for the nicer places to eat
    Do your gift shopping in the Disney World Store in Downtown Disney, they have practically everything in that one store. If you're going all out and stay at DW then consider getting a meal plan for each of you. the 1 snack, 1 counter service, 1 table service plan is killer.
    Fastpass is nice, especially in MGM where the Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith rollercoaster are right next to each other.
    A meal and shopping in Epcot's world showcase is a must, they have awesome shops/food plus tons of street performers that are generally awesome shows.

If bars and clubs are your thing downtown disney has a nightlife scene, also a good size movie theater for those times where you're all tuckered out and want to rest your feet but not waste time in your room.

edit: I got lots more but I bore ya since you only asked about the waterparks.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We just got back from Orlando (honeymoon).

No waterparks this time, but the Animal Kingdom was pretty cool. Got there at 10, and went on the safari ride right away.

Also, please, for the love of Prime, do not go to Disney Downtown or Universal Walk (whatever it's called) at night. It's like the IGN boards IRL. You stand a good chance of getting rolled.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Have you ever been to Six Flags: White Water in Atlanta by any chance? It has the exact same rides as Blizzard Beach only without the fancy decor. If you've been there I would say to go to Typhoon Lagoon for something different.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Also, please, for the love of Prime, do not go to Disney Downtown or Universal Walk (whatever it's called) at night. It's like the IGN boards IRL. You stand a good chance of getting rolled.

I'm not sure I understand this? I've been to Downtown Disney and City Walk several times, and on my last vacation was at Downtown Disney from 9PM-1AM. We didn't have any problems whatsoever aside from the fact that the Ghiradelli store was a little too crowded to get any chocolate. Never had a problem there at night before. Of course, I've never been in the clubs if that's what you're talking about.

City Walk I haven't been around TOO late, but I've been there until about 9 and I can say until then that it should be absolutely fine. Some really good restaurants and little things to see/do.

More on topic: I've never been to either, but from what I heard you really can't lose with either park. But like it's been said, you could just add the Park Hopper bonus, I don't think that adds that much money onto the tickets at all. For the sake of the topic, I've heard several times that Blizzard Beach is the better of the two, though.
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    TIPS:
    Make reservations weeks in advance for the nicer places to eat

I definitely recommend doing this. Orlando has a LOT of really nice restaurants, however being that it's pretty packed during the summer, reservations can fill up FAST. A few weeks before we went up to Orlando, I just hopped onto opentable.com and made some reservations for the places we had wanted to go to. Nice, simple, and if you want you can just pop online again and cancel your reservation. (There are also a lot of nice restaurants right in Downtown Disney.)

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've only been to Typhoon Lagoon but it was really fun.

Just don't sit down at the end of the wave pool. My mom did that and a wave pushed her across the concrete, scraped up her legs a bit.

As for Downtown Disney, I never paid attention to the shopping but some of the clubs were pretty good. They had a comedy club, and the Adventurer's Club was awesome because it had talking shit on the walls and people in character.

Later on, go to Magic Kingdom and go see Phantasmic. Just trust me.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've somehow only been to Typhoon Lagoon (many times, obviously I like it okay), but the rest of my family's been to Blizzard Beach, which they enjoyed as well. We tend to spend most of our time in the wave pool though, so Typhoon Lagoon is more interesting since they switch from big waves to bobbing waves hourly (the wave pool at Blizzard Beach, in addition to being smaller, only does bobbing waves). The Storm Slides at Typhoon Lagoon are a lot of fun as well. (The snorkeling lagoon and the really fast slide are pretty unexciting.)
    If you are going in November, the water parks are going to be closing very early, so make sure you keep an eye on the hours when planning things.

I third the reservations thing. It might not be as critical if you're going in November, but since they introduced the dining plan, it's gotten a lot harder to get into some of the sit-down restaurants. This won't necessarily screw you over though, there are still a fair number of really good restaurants you can just walk into (like Morocco <3), but there are some other really good ones that can be difficult (like Le Cellier in Canada which apparently basically gets booked up 6 months in advance). If you can swing it, I suggest trying to eat in Epcot as much as is easily possible, particularly if you are at MGM -- there is a boat that leaves from there and drops you off in the back of Epcot between the UK and France. There are also a lot of very good restaurants at the hotels that are easily accessible from the parks (like the ones on the monorail or by boat from Magic Kingdom or MGM, or at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    IIRC Typhoon Lagoon is more like a swimming pool than Blizzard Beach is. I mean, they are both water parks, but BB has more of the sort of "rides" (for want of a better word).

Lewisham on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Phantasmic is at MGM in the big auditorium next to the Tower of Terror. Two nightly showings but I'd suggest getting there about an hour and a half beforehand or you'll never get any decent seats.

Magic Kingdom has the Wishes fireworks spectacular with Tinkerbell.. Which is awesome.

As for the thread question is there any reason you can't do both? They have enough ride variance between them to make it worthwhile. Generally ride themeing is better at BB -- compare the awesomeness of the Summit Plummet (with the ski-jump themeing) to the Humunga Cowabunga which is just two slides side by side -- but then Typhoon Lagoon feels more piratey so it works both ways..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Phantasmic is at MGM in the big auditorium next to the Tower of Terror. Two nightly showings but I'd suggest getting there about an hour and a half beforehand or you'll never get any decent seats.

Oh, I have only seen it here in California so I assumed it was in the Magic Kingdom there. Either way, go see it. It's the most insane fireworks show I've ever seen.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Disney geek here. Timeshare owner and all that. I'd say Typhoon Lagoon. While Blizzard Beach has the better "big" ride with Summit Plummet, there's only so many times you can do that, and the lines get huge after the first hour or two. Typhoon Lagoon has the newest water ride with Crushing Gushers, which are three different tube slides that are more like mini roller coasters on water, using conveyor belts and water jets to push you up hills and such. If you do go, go first thing in the morning (it opens an hour early for resort guests), and head straight for Crushing Gushers. It's kind of out of the way, so people don't find it for a little while. Meanwhile, you can usually hit all three about four times each with little wait.

Another neat little thing about Typhoon Lagoon is it has a snorkeling pool. Just something to change things up.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thanks for all the answers, and my girlfriend said no one on a gaming board would know, hah for those who answered and have knowlege of the parks i'll be posting more questions as they come up (since i'm in like stage 1 of planning).

once again thank you all

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just as more general advice, I highly recommend The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. My family used it when we went, and it's absolutely invaluable if you want to do/see as much as possible.

It has stuff like guides to the typical traffic patterns in all of the parks, so you can be queueing for <10 mins when there are people waiting for over an hour in other parts of the park, and suggested routes based on them. (We were skeptical of this, especially my Dad, who kept asking employees to check waiting times on other rides over the radio. It really seems to work, though.)

It also has good run-downs on what's where, what's good, and what's worth skipping.

japan on
  • Options
    holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

This is a false statement. Downtown Disney in Orlando absolutely wins, at any time of the day.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

This is a false statement. Downtown Disney in Orlando absolutely wins, at any time of the day.

Maybe I'm just that curmudgeny, but I thought it was pretty unpleasant at night. A big part was that it's supposed to be Disney, and there were kids smoking/drinking all over the place. I guess it's where all the locals go, since it's the only square foot that doesn't cost $90 to stand on. We went off-season, for what it's worth.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Maybe I'm just that curmudgeny, but I thought it was pretty unpleasant at night. A big part was that it's supposed to be Disney, and there were kids smoking/drinking all over the place. I guess it's where all the locals go, since it's the only square foot that doesn't cost $90 to stand on. We went off-season, for what it's worth.

Now that's true, but the thing about Downtown Disney is that it's supposed to be an adult environment. Kids aren't really meant to be there, as there is a House of Blues where people (read: myself) go to listen to loud music and drink. There are no rides or any of that crap there.

And I guess Orlando is kind of expensive, but I grew up in southern California, so Orlando is really freakin cheap to me.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd disagree with the no kids in Downtown Disney thing. Pleasure Island, which is part of Downtown Disney, I'd agree with. But Downtown Disney, the shopping area, has way too many kid centered things. Lego Land, much of World of Disney, Disney Quest, and the Once Upon a Toy store.

But yeah, no kids in Pleasure Island. That's where the clubs and alcohol is.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Now that's true, but the thing about Downtown Disney is that it's supposed to be an adult environment. Kids aren't really meant to be there, as there is a House of Blues where people (read: myself) go to listen to loud music and drink. There are no rides or any of that crap there.

And I guess Orlando is kind of expensive, but I grew up in southern California, so Orlando is really freakin cheap to me.

Also go to Disney Quest in Downtown Disney. DO IT!

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Typhoon Lagoon all the way.

Blizzard beach has too much concreate, making walking a painful task on hot Florida afternoons. The water can be way too cold sometimes, which isn't so nice when one first jumps in. Plus, it's almost shock inducing. Going from hot, to really fucking cold, to hot again. Typhoon Lagoon is much more relaxed as well. They have a wonderful Lazy River that goes most of the way around the park. They have great slides, raft rides, and the awesome wave pool. The wave pool really seals the deal; you might have seen others before but the one at T.L. is the mother of them all. Just make sure to be aware of your surroundings (read: other people) before you go and catch that big wave, I've gotten my face hit many times :P.

EDIT:

What the heck, I'll throw in some general tips about Orlando as well.

1.) Be sure to familiarize yourself with the driving routes you will be taking

2/3 of the people driving in Orlando don't know where the hell they're going or what they're doing. Driving in Orlando can be a very stressful ordeal for those not prepared. Make sure you've read those mapquest directions well, or make sure your GF can read them to you. Missing a merge or turn will probably happen, but try to avoid it as much as you can. It sucks trying to get around in a car so make sure you keep the mistakes to a minimum. Drive with a degree of agressiveness and a greater degree of caution.

2.) DO NOT, DO NOT TRY AND DRIVE DURING NORMAL RUSH-HOUR TIME PERIODS

For the love of god, stay the HELL away from major roads (and most roads in general) during the morning and afternoon rush-hour times (7-10ish AM, and 4-7PM). Traffic on I-4 and most major roads is a literal standstill during those times.

3.) Leave for dinner early

Get to resturants at around 5PM. They fill up quick, especially the good ones. I'll leave it to you to decide where to go, but make sure you get there well before everyone else does. The eats work like the traffic: hit it early for the best results and efficency.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blowflu wrote: »
    2.) DO NOT, DO NOT TRY AND DRIVE DURING NORMAL RUSH-HOUR TIME PERIODS

For the love of god, stay the HELL away from major roads (and most roads in general) during the morning and afternoon rush-hour times (7-10ish AM, and 4-7PM). Traffic on I-4 and most major roads is a literal standstill during those times.

Since we're on the topic of general Orlando advice, I cannot lime this enough. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to make it to dinner, please stick to this advise.

On my most recent trip to Orlando, there wasn't ONE time of the day when the roads weren't packed. I had the unfortunate luck to hit the road (I-Drive) at 4PM one day, and it literally took us half an hour to move the three miles to where our hotel was. Traffic can be a major pain in Orlando.

General water-park advice -- I know it's a water park and full of water and all of that, but while it's on my mind I have to tell you: Remember to bring water bottles. Any time when you're not in the water, you're probably going to be thirsty from all the sun and humidity and any walking around, and you don't really want to shell out $3-4 for each water bottle if you buy them in the park, so maybe bring some and keep them in the lockers there.

Also: If you have any kind of interest in that kind of thing and you end up in Downtown Disney, go to the Lego store there. They have some incredible lego displays set up outside of the store. Absolutely huge and awesome.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Truth. And CityWalk isn't really a bad alternative, either. I usually end up going to one or the other weekly.

Typhoon Lagoon, by the way. But I had a really harrowing experience at Blizzard Beach. The chlorine levels have to be deadly to most life forms. My ex-girlfriend and I were literally blind after a few hours. Had to sit down with some friends at a table (they had been tanning most of the day), and it was close to 90 minutes before our vision returned. Fucking terrible.

I would suggest Wet 'n' Wild over either, though. And it's also in Orlando.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For what it's worth I suggest staying at one of the disney resorts.

If cash is tight then you can go for one of the budget ones but we stayed 5 nights at one of the moderate restorts (Port Orleans: French Quarter) and while it's just a basic hotel room it was awesome as far as getting to and from the parks and not having to worry about driving at all. There are charter buses that take you to/from the airport and then once at the resort there are shuttle buses that go to all the different parks. The ONLY kink in the system is if you're at a park and want to head to downtown disney you would have to go back to a resort then catch another bus to downtown disney from there. Otherwise it's all pretty interlocking and quick.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg