As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

shitty usb wireless adapter

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Whenever I'm downloading torrents (using Azureus) my wireless connection shits out and I have to repair it. It kinda sucks when I'm downloading something that's not seeded well or a larger file because if I'm not around to repair the connection it takes forever to download. Is there any reason that it would crap out when I run Azureus or any settings within Azureus that might fix this? It craps out occasionally when I'm just surfing, but most often it's when I'm using Azureus.

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe it has something to do with the amount of traffic you put it through. It sounds hardware-related if it happens in other situations, maybe invest in getting a decent router?

Keep in mind I know nothing about networking, and my Azureus's more advanced network settings, which apparently is very well-masked, was set up by someone else.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to eliminate the possibility, you could try using a different Bittorrent client. Try uTorrent. If it still craps out, you've narrowed down the possibilities at least.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Generally torrents put hell through your router and bandwidth. This might be causing your router to overload or miss important packets. Limiting your UL/DL might stop it needing repair. Assigning a static IP/DNS etc, might reduce the downtime or need for repair.

if none of that works, look into forwarding some unused port or ports and getting your torrenting to use them.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Generally torrents put hell through your router and bandwidth. This might be causing your router to overload or miss important packets. Limiting your UL/DL might stop it needing repair. Assigning a static IP/DNS etc, might reduce the downtime or need for repair.

if none of that works, look into forwarding some unused port or ports and getting your torrenting to use them.

Because UDP traffic isn't given the same priority by default as TCP/IP traffic, keepalive info and DHCP lease renewals may be lost when traffic is exceptionally high or bandwidth is low (weak signal strength).

Some network cards allow you to set this manually, but a cheapo may not. Assigning it an IP (Lease reservation inside the router) with a freakishly long lease time (4-5 days) may cure your ills. Remember that lease renwals send keepalive info at about a third of their setting, so if you want to leave your stuff for a day, your lease needs to be set at least three days to keep info from timing out.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lower the max number of connections, both per torrent and globally. That should be under Options -> Transfer. Too many connections would kill my old linksys router, and that was with a wired connection. 100-150 is the global max I settled at.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Voro wrote: »
    Lower the max number of connections, both per torrent and globally. That should be under Options -> Transfer. Too many connections would kill my old linksys router, and that was with a wired connection. 100-150 is the global max I settled at.

I've had this problem before w/ a wired connection so I've already tried that, but I have a static IP address too I believe.. I'll limit the download (upload is already limited). What should I limit it at?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png