As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

on selling a big ass HDTV

happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought a 46" Samsung DLP last summer, not with a credit card or anything so I own it. I use it with my xbox 360 for movies and its great! Watching movies from bed is sweet, but I know I will be moving soon (out of this apartment to a place with a smaller room and out of state in ~1.5-2 years). I'm going into junior year in college.

However...I just got a 22" Acer widescreen monitor and a sort of good video card (7600gt). It works fine after I worked through some initial problems...however i want a computer that screams. So basically I'd be trading the TV for a way faster computer.

I'm seriously thinking of selling the TV for these reasons:
  • When I graduate in the next two years its going to be a real pain in the ass to move across states
  • I use the computer WAY way way more than the TV...also there is no cable TV in the house.
  • Playing games on the pc is a lot funner and more accurate b/c of mouse and keyboard :lol:
  • I could get a cheap SDTV.
  • I believe I could use a VGA to DVI adapter to get the 360 to display on my monitor so I could play Halo 3. My monitor has 2 inputs on the back...VGA and DVI. My computer is hooked up to VGA...would it be easy to switch between the two if I had the 360 and computer plugged in?

I have this computer monitor

and this Samsung 46" TV

Is $800 a good price to ask for this + a really nice black wood stand? I bought it for $1200 less than a year ago. I would either list it on facebook or craigslist...dont want to ship it.

happyshark on

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    List it as "$1,000 OBO". If you bought it less than a year ago, I'd think shaving off 400 bucks is a bit much, unless it's in poorer condition.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    List it as "$1,000 OBO". If you bought it less than a year ago, I'd think shaving off 400 bucks is a bit much, unless it's in poorer condition.

That also leaves room for haggling so people can think they're paying less when you would have taken $800 to begin with. Also, people may turn their nose up at paying $1000 for a TV that doesn't support 1080p.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How many hours are on the TV? DLP lamps need to be replaced and cost about $400. This will affect the price people are willing to pay.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    not too many hours plus I've read that these bulbs last for a long ass time...anyone in Columbus Ohio want to buy this? $850. :P

happyshark on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    they last a few thousand hours but they dim over time.

for average use you'll have to replace a bulb every few years or so. Your bulb is probably fine, but it's one reason that DLPs have a lowe resale value.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?