As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Won't boot

Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay I just recently witch the cooling in my PC from a broken water cooler back to air cooling. We fit the stock fan back on and for a while things were running alittle toasty, it was a prescott chip after all things were okay.

Now I began having full lock ups about 20 minutes into the machine being on. The temperature seemed to be at a reasonable level. And now it has developed into a problem where the motherboard will turn on and spin the fans but it won't go into BIOS or even start.

It actually isn't POSTing even except once: It beeped 4 times with two tones. High low high low. I'm running a D865PERL mobo.

What in god's name have I killed?

EDIT: Okay it might be over heating because it seems to be shutting off now after it's been on for about a minuts. But this from a bonecold start.

Bryse Eayo on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Check everything is seated properly, pop the BIOS battery out and put it back in again, see if you can swap the power supply if possible.

devoir on
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you clean your CPU and the bottom of your Fan/Heatsink then reapply thermal paste? If you didn't the heatsink and CPU may not be making good contact so heat wouldn't be dissipated very well.

fforde on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    fforde wrote: »
    Did you clean your CPU and the bottom of your Fan/Heatsink then reapply thermal paste? If you didn't the heatsink and CPU may not be making good contact so heat wouldn't be dissipated very well.

Yep I did. There's new paste. Now, I think I may have found the issue. The intel sites say that 4 POST beeps means that my mobo may be grounded... Troubleshooting this is going to be a bitch.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay now it's booting into windows but giving me a bluescreen.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Google the bluescreen error. Check there's nothing loose in your case, try removing the motherboard from the case and having it sit on something like a nonconductive tabletop.

devoir on