As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Sharing From Desktop To Laptop

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok. I have a router/gateway/firewall set up, connected to the DSL at the wall. I have 1 wired computer, which is this desktop, connected to the router to get internet access. It's running Windows.

I've got a Linux laptop. The wireless doesn't reach my room, so I want to wire it. I've got some cat5e running from my desktop to my laptop. The laptop is set to DHCP, so it gets automatically assigned an address. I've got two ethernet connections on my desktop, obviously, so I've got one coming in from the router and one going out to the laptop.

The internet doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure the laptop isn't on the network. I tried to enable internet sharing on the ethernet connection which goes out to the laptop, and it made the internet turn off on my desktop computer. Not good.

It gave some error about IP assignment, so I turned off DHCP on the laptop and set the internal IP to 192.168.0.255 (Just to make sure none of the other machines get assigned the same IP as the laptop). The crazy thing is, after I did that, it just started working. I didn't have to enable internet sharing again (I had disabled it after the internet switched off on my desktop). However, I found out that the ethernet connector plugged into the laptop was dodgy, so I turned the cable around and used the opposite end. And now I can't get it to connect to the internet again.

The green light is on on the desktop side, so the cable seems to be working.

Centipeed on

• CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Problem is fixed now. I ended up having to bridge the connection and all sorts.

Centipeed on