As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a 120. I'm guessing it resizes them? I encoded it to MP4 originally. I just encoded it set to "normal" in handbrake which I think defaults to 720 x 480 which I would guess is why the Zune software had to convert it?

Drool on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    I have a 120. I'm guessing it resizes them? I encoded it to MP4 originally. I just encoded it set to "normal" in handbrake which I think defaults to 720 x 480 which I would guess is why the Zune software had to convert it?

Yeah, try using the iPod settings, I don't think it requires reconversion then for the 120.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nope even after using Format Factory to convert my 720p videos down to 320 x 240 it still says "converting" but it did go quite a bit faster, but a video podcast goes straight to "syncing," weird. 320 is the max res the Zune can display right? So there's no reason to put higher resolution files on it?

edit: OK apparently it's MP4 files at 320p that sync right up.

Drool on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does the Zune not have a built in equalizer? I looked all through the settings and could not find one.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does the Zune not have a built in equalizer? I looked all through the settings and could not find one.
    Only the Zune 30. They took the hardware for that out in the later hardware revisions.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Only the Zune 30. They took the hardware for that out in the later hardware revisions.

Well that sucks

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I'm really hoping the next generation puts the equalizer back in.

But then again, I'm still waiting for them to give us back the star ratings.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But the heart is so much more chic.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i want my damn quick list back

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now playing is a quick list!

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

except whenever you turn the zune off you lose it. quick list was persistent until I wanted it to go away. having to rebuild it each time is no fun.
    edit: also if you click 'play' on anything else, you lose the now playing list. quicklist i could call right back up.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What's the difference between a quicklist and a regular playlist, then?

I'm honestly curious.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

except whenever you turn the zune off you lose it. quick list was persistent until I wanted it to go away. having to rebuild it each time is no fun.
    edit: also if you click 'play' on anything else, you lose the now playing list. quicklist i could call right back up.

Personally, I never shut my zune off, I just let it go to sleep. Your other point is valid, though.

I love being able to click play on an album, and queue up a few more a little bit later. I couldn't do that with the quick list.
    Seeks wrote: »
    What's the difference between a quicklist and a regular playlist, then?

I'm honestly curious.

It's a playlist made on the Zune, not on the computer's Zune software. But it's not a part of the firmware anymore.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The other thing from Quick List that I miss that you don't have in Now Playing is the ability to shuffle the list. At least on mine, it's a case of "Oh you want to add this album? Hope you wanted to listen to all of it the second the current song is over!"

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's a playlist made on the Zune, not on the computer's Zune software. But it's not a part of the firmware anymore.

Ooooooh, ok. Gotcha.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only thing about quicklist that I didn't like was that you couldn't save the quicklist when you synced the Zune with the computer.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Picked up the 4GB zune today. Needed something cheap with good podcast support. Cheapest ipod would have been 150 so the 100 for the zune was an easy sell to the wife.

So far I'm loving it.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome.

[robot voice]Welcome to the Social[/robot] :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I still don't see what the use of the Social business is. But then I don't have any Windows Live friends with Zunes it seems.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Eh, it's best used with a Zune Pass (it will auto-download their latest plays (or something like that) if you don't have them so you can check out what your friends are listening to and be exposed to greater ranges of music.

It's basically just a catch-phrase that encourages people to listen to and check out more music than what they normally listen to.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    that and the whole wirelessly sharing thing, MS really wanted the zune to have that 'friend' vibe to it.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has this been mentioned?

That the Zune may be killed off by Microsoft because of these layoffs etc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned?

I read about that on ign or something. That would suck

Dixon on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I read something on Slashdot, nothing that groundbreaking, just how the Zune is horrible, Apple is breaking new ground, M$ (Words fail to describe how much I hate that) is evil, normal stuff.

One link to an article that was saying that it's hopeless to beat the iPod, so don't even try.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I read something on Slashdot, nothing that groundbreaking, just how the Zune is horrible, Apple is breaking new ground, M$ (Words fail to describe how much I hate that) is evil, normal stuff.

One link to an article that was saying that it's hopeless to beat the iPod, so don't even try.

Funny, people who usually post the garbage using stuff like M$ get marked troll.

But you have to admit there is a pretty big element of truth to it though, Apple perfected the iPod whilst MS were pretty far behind. Think about it, Apple got the marketing, the ease of use of the device and the application to get music onto the device all correct.

MS is lucky if they even got two of those right, they sure as hell never got the marketing right.

I still own a Cowon iAudio M3L, I love that little thing. Awesome little player but the modern iPod blows those old style MP3 players out of the water. Although to this day I still think the audio quality of the Cowon is better than the iPod. (this coming from a person who owns an iPod Nano, iPod Touch and iPhone.. I also now hate myself for doing that stupid iSpelling)

EDIT: For those wondering what the M3L was...

31DG878N13L._SS500_.jpg

There were two types, the M3 and M3L. The M3 came in 20GB and 40GB sizes, the M3L was the size of the 40GB but had a 20GB hard drive and a battery that lasted fucking ages. They got the styling right (no plastic, metal), the little dial thing was a nice idea but it was fiddly. It mounted as a usb hard drive in windows so it was a drag and drop affair to get music on to it.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned?

Hmmm...by this same logic, Apple should bow out of the Operating Systems business. They've been loosing for more than a decade now, and they're never going to come close to as widespread as Windows is in North America, much less the rest of the world.

I like alternatives. I think they're a good thing. I might just have an antiquated opinion however.

(In other words, I think the article was a rather poor attempt at trolling and just another fanboy rant, and not a very well thought-out perspective on how the recession will hit the company)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned?

Hmmm...by this same logic, Apple should bow out of the Operating Systems business. They've been loosing for more than a decade now, and they're never going to come close to as widespread as Windows is in North America, much less the rest of the world.

I like alternatives. I think they're a good thing. I might just have an antiquated opinion however.

(In other words, I think the article was a rather poor attempt at trolling and just another fanboy rant, and not a very well thought-out perspective on how the recession will hit the company)

I was under the impression from the money MS has invested in the Zune they haven't actually recouped that yet. Sort of like the Xbox, but MS has invested so much into the Xbox they're not giving that up anytime soon. Hence why they might just drop the Zune since it hasn't sold anywhere near the levels they'd hoped.

Also, has the Zune actually turned a profit?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really sad if this happens, the Zune is a great mp3 player. I've owned plenty of iPods, and I don't like them nearly as much as my 120 Zune.

If they drop support, does that mean marketplace goes bye-bye along with the social? I guess it's safe to say it will...but I hope and pray they don't exit the mp3 market. Everyone I know who owns one loves it, and most of the people who have shit on it are either: die hard Mac fanboys, believe rumors about the Zune, or had bad luck with some faulty hardware (which can happen with the iPod, and DOES happen on a much wider scale).

Oh well, time to count my blessings. Don't leave me, Zune! I love you!

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned?

I was under the impression from the money MS has invested in the Zune they haven't actually recouped that yet. Sort of like the Xbox, but MS has invested so much into the Xbox they're not giving that up anytime soon. Hence why they might just drop the Zune since it hasn't sold anywhere near the levels they'd hoped.

Also, has the Zune actually turned a profit?

That's a more complex question than I can answer. If we're taking the admitted bias Mac blog at its word, the Zune made a paltry "$100 million revenue" this year (?--not elaborated on in blog), versus the 3 billion Apple netted.

Is that a sufficient return? No idea, given the state of the economy. There's also the fact, that was ignored in the blog and elsewhere, that Apple as a company has probably spent literally a hundred times the initial investment Microsoft has (if not more), over a longer period of time, for the iPod brand. Is it more profitable? Absolutely. Did it cost more to develop? Of course it did, only an idiot would claim it didn't.

Frankly, given that Zunes have only been released in North America and the United Kingdom, I'm impressed with $100 million (I would have said a lot less) in just a few years. At the risk of letting my own bias show through (I'm tired of people rubbing their iPods in my face after they've been forced to buy a new one every two years for whatever reason), I think the this mindset is grounded a lot less in financial and business sense and more in "The Zune is going to die, just like we said it would!" hopes. The article cited no one from Microsoft on the subject, beyond the revenue drop. How is Apple's computer software branch fairing in this recession?

I could be wrong, naturally, but I'm not worried in the future. But if the Zune should tank, it's a very bad omen for other companies, like Creative, Archos and Cowon, portable device branches. And that's bad news for iPod owners, as Apple may potentially have even less reason to improve their product. "Radios? Hah! Unit to unit transmission! What, are you going to buy another brand?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But you have to admit there is a pretty big element of truth to it though, Apple perfected the iPod whilst MS were pretty far behind. Think about it, Apple got the marketing, the ease of use of the device and the application to get music onto the device all correct.

MS is lucky if they even got two of those right, they sure as hell never got the marketing right.

I'm... not sure what you're saying exactly when you say MS is "lucky" if they get two of those right. They already have, undeniably.

Zune Software = iTunes, except better in my opinion (Yes, I've got both).
    Zune = iPod, except again my preference is for the Zune. They're functionally similar enough, though, that the difference is negligible.

I'll agree with you on the marketing, though they're ratcheting it up quite a bit recently (especially that annoying ad with Common and that fucking moron dressed in Egyptian garb).

...Oh well. Maybe if the Zune goes out of business they'll start selling them off super-cheap. This would be good news for yours truly, who won't be able to afford one for quite a while if they don't, haha.

...And while I've already decided I'm getting a Zune no matter what (Zune Pass is just too fucking awesome not to), what are some other good PMPs? I'm talking not iPods, thanks much. There was one that sounded pretty cool... plays basically every format, including .oggs, but it looked like it'd be as fun to carry around as the display panel from a car CD player, so no can do.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »

I'm... not sure what you're saying exactly when you say MS is "lucky" if they get two of those right. They already have, undeniably.

Zune Software = iTunes, except better in my opinion (Yes, I've got both).
    Zune = iPod, except again my preference is for the Zune. They're functionally similar enough, though, that the difference is negligible.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the iPod is a very, very long way from perfect. Apple hasn't perfected it by any means. The Zune isn't either, but when given the option to purchase either, I went with the Zune 80 and haven't had any reason to regret my choice either.

I'm sure the iPod line has its strength, but Apple is a long way from perfecting it. Making iTunes less of a pain in the ass would be a start, I think.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what I love about my Zune? That I bought it the first day it came out and haven't had a reason to upgrade.

I'm not a super big music person, so the 30 is fine, and to me, it's just a really reliable, and more importantly durable player. Lord knows how many times it's fallen of my pocket, or left in my car for long periods of times.

Plus the zune marketplace is just awesome. I honestly wouldn't be able to switch to an Ipod and have to limit my music spending.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    You know what I love about my Zune? That I bought it the first day it came out and haven't had a reason to upgrade.

I'm not a super big music person, so the 30 is fine, and to me, it's just a really reliable, and more importantly durable player. Lord knows how many times it's fallen of my pocket, or left in my car for long periods of times.

Plus the zune marketplace is just awesome. I honestly wouldn't be able to switch to an Ipod and have to limit my music spending.

I imagine you had that nasty scare with the Leap Year--but given when the Zune 30 first came out, portable devices don't seem to normally last that long (My neighbors go through iPods and Cell Phones once a year, wasteful I know).

All the same, I've heard very positive stories about the Zune 30's physical durability--the glass screen, the hard casing, etc. I only know a few people who own them, but no one's ever had one break on them because of physical damage (or, for that matter, bricking). I own an Zune 80, but I'm not quite willing to see how resilient it is.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, it would help if they actually ADVERTISED the thing. I see 1 or 2 iPod commercials (or general Mac) per half hour show on TV. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Zune commercial. Get it out there, tell people it's better than the iPod or other players by selling them on the Zune Pass, WiFi downloads, etc.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    they do TONS of web advertising, a bunch on myspace.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Well, it would help if they actually ADVERTISED the thing. I see 1 or 2 iPod commercials (or general Mac) per half hour show on TV. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Zune commercial. Get it out there, tell people it's better than the iPod or other players by selling them on the Zune Pass, WiFi downloads, etc.

I've seen a few. At least to me, they're very similarly annoying and 'chic' as iPod commercials, but I suppose that makes marketing sense.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone have the Insipio Metal Slider Case for Zune 80/120?

The black model has caught my eye (I think it would go good with my red 120) but I want to get more opinions before taking the plunge.

Normally I go for leather cases for devices, but I just can't find one that grabs me.

Evander on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If it is one thing that the Zune excels over the iPod is the social and the music discovery areas. I have not found so many cool new artists in such close proximity that I have now. The mixview thing I thought was a gimmick but it netted me my new top artist, Thievery Corporation. That's pretty big...

Plus the Zune.net website is almost like a mini facebook. It's really in depth once you get into it. :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The mixview thing I thought was a gimmick but it netted me my new top artist, Thievery Corporation. That's pretty big...

Ha, I found this out by accident, too. The weird thing is, the Mixview "recommendations" are just as - if not more - effective than the "related" tab when you're looking at an artist in the marketplace.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They do a lot of advertising here in toronto...specifically on the radio. A station called 102.1 the edge has commercials all the time. My brown 30 is still in perfect shape. Never had a problem with it and I use it daily.

Dixon on
This discussion has been closed.