As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your IQ

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Another thing that bugs about IQ tests is that they don't take into account ability to find answers you don't already know on your own. The ability to find answers is far more useful than simply having a lot of them in your head already, because it's impossible to carry all of them around with you, period.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Hahahah, you just reminded me of the threads I've seen where people try and equate themselves into D&D-or-similar aptitude ranks...

"Sorry man, your charisma isn't anywhere near 15. If you give yourself a charisma of 15 your lack of modesty immediately means it can't be more than 10. As I have a wisdom of 16, I know such things..."
    Such threads are always hilarious, mainly as the types who get involved vastly over estimate their mental faculties.

I love how no matter where you go in D&D theres always people calling other people retards in colorful, creative ways.

Boki on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would like to go to a Mensa chapter and have them administer an official test. Then, if I qualified for membership, and they were congratulating me, I'd tell them, "Man, I don't want to be in some fucking club for pretentious nerds."

Years ago, back when she was in college, my mother took some such test and was invited to Mensa. She didn't join and has been happily employed as a USPS mail carrier for over 20 years.

She loves her (relatively) simple, physical job.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Boki wrote: »
    Hahahah, you just reminded me of the threads I've seen where people try and equate themselves into D&D-or-similar aptitude ranks...

"Sorry man, your charisma isn't anywhere near 15. If you give yourself a charisma of 15 your lack of modesty immediately means it can't be more than 10. As I have a wisdom of 16, I know such things..."
    Such threads are always hilarious, mainly as the types who get involved vastly over estimate their mental faculties.

I love how no matter where you go on the Intarweb there're always people calling other people retards in colorful, creative ways.

Fixed :P

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    I would like to go to a Mensa chapter and have them administer an official test. Then, if I qualified for membership, and they were congratulating me, I'd tell them, "Man, I don't want to be in some fucking club for pretentious nerds."

Years ago, back when she was in college, my mother took some such test and was invited to Mensa. She didn't join and has been happily employed as a USPS mail carrier for over 20 years.

She loves her (relatively) simple, physical job.

I'm going to go ahead and say that your mom has probably won at life.

Hachface on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dalboz wrote: »
    I tried the Tickle IQ test, and when I submitted the last page, the server stopped responding. I guess that I'm so smart that I broke their server.

I'd like to take the Mensa exam at some point and see where I'm at now. I went through the test a long, long time ago when I was young to get into the gifted program, and I wasn't told the actual result but it was somewhere in the 200s.

You wouldn't get much of a result from taking the Mensa Entrance Exam. It is graded on a purely pass/fail basis. Basically, if you test in the 98th percentile or above you're in and invited to join or you're told that you got 97th or below and you can't join.

No cumulative quotient score, no sub-catagory scores, nothing.

Either you're in, or you're out.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "Man, I don't want to be in some fucking club for pretentious nerds."

They can make you hand in your mod badge for that kinda talk.

Low Key on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    When I was tested at the age of 8 I got 126. On these pretend tests I usually score in the 140s. I should have myself test soon again.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That sad thing is that the trend I see in my own life seems to be that there is no correlation between those that are successful, and those that would do well on these kinds of tests.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I love how no matter where you go in D&D theres always people calling other people retards in colorful, creative ways.
    I've never actually seen such a thread on these forums, but perhaps it is worth somebody starting one in D&M. Nothing is better than an argument between two nerds trying to work out their strength scores by lifting household objects and then cross-referencing tables. The mental side always breaks down as nobody is happy with Cha being a stat, Wisdom being unquantifiable and the urban myth that exists which says that Int is equivalent to IQ/10 (despite Int being the D&D stat related to knowledge more than any real kind of intelligence).

In fact i'm going to go to Enworld and look for such a thread right now, I'm sure that one will be there.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I've never actually seen such a thread on these forums, but perhaps it is worth somebody starting one in D&M. Nothing is better than an argument between two nerds trying to work out their strength scores by lifting household objects and then cross-referencing tables. The mental side always breaks down as nobody is happy with Cha being a stat, Wisdom being unquantifiable and the urban myth that exists which says that Int is equivalent to IQ/10 (despite Int being the D&D stat related to knowledge more than any real kind of intelligence).

In fact i'm going to go to Enworld and look for such a thread right now, I'm sure that one will be there.

Heh, I remember going through this when my friends and I started our Call of Cthulhu game, because we were playing ourselves. It's a lot easier to do using White Wolf's system, because every attribute/skill has a simple little description for each point in it, to make it very easy to figure where your own abilities would lie.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, since I've already read posts that clarify some of the answers, I'm not going to bother.

Part of the problem is that IQ tests can only measure up to a certain amount. You get them all correct and you get whatever the highest score that test measures. Which is what I've done on the few tests I've taken online and in school, which have never topped out at more than 150.

And seriously, you missed the squares one?

Yar on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

Most Mensans are nothing like that. But hey, gross innacurate generalisations are fun.

I'm just going off the (admittedly small) number of actual Mensans I've met, all of whom I would happily punch in the nuts after five minutes in conversation with them. I'm sure not all of them are that way, but I think there's something telling about being a member of a club whose entire raison d'etre is being smarter than everyone, as if that's a relevant thing to have in common with people.

I mean, in a chess club, everyone likes chess. In a knitting club, everyone likes knitting. In Mensa... everyone likes being smart? It's not like you're going to have something to talk about with someone just because you're both absurdly smart. Unless you like talking about how smart you are, or something.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    according to that site its 127. go me.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Choosing the first answer for all questions yeilds an IQ of 82. Another time going through and just answering randomly gives an IQ of 90.

In conclusion, if you think IQ tests on the internet are viable, then you are an idiot. They are very obviously inflated, as people are more likely to take these tests (and pay for the results) if they are flattering than if they show that the person is totally average (which would happen most of the time).

I've never taken an IQ test, and I'm not really interested in doing so. I certainly wouldn't take one of these online tests.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Choosing the first answer for all questions yeilds an IQ of 82. Another time going through and just answering randomly gives an IQ of 90.

In conclusion, if you think IQ tests on the internet are viable, then you are an idiot. They are very obviously inflated, as people are more likely to take these tests (and pay for the results) if they are flattering than if they show that the person is totally average (which would happen most of the time).

I've never taken an IQ test, and I'm not really interested in doing so. I certainly wouldn't take one of these online tests.

I think it's been the general consensus in the thread that IQ tests are bullshit, even the non-internet ones.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

I think it's been the general consensus in the thread that IQ tests are bullshit, even the non-internet ones.

But that would make the general consensus pretty dumb. And everyone in this thread has huuge IQs.

Pair-O-Docks

Low Key on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

But that would make the general consensus pretty dumb. And everyone in this thread has huuge IQs.

Pair-O-Docks

Ha!

The problem with IQ tests is that studying for them yields a higher score. In theory, this is not supposed to happen. Yet it does, thus we have questions on how much is testing our innate ability and how much is trivia.

On the other hand, IQ tests do act as a sort of measuring stick. They aren't completely worth throwing in the trash, as those that do excel at them are likely to excel at other tasks. What makes it unreliable, though, are the x-factors that go into what can make a person successful a job or profession, and thus how we gauge their given intelligence.

Thus the apprehension people have in giving validity to these tests does not often lie in any of the results, as they are often useful in their own way, but instead in being the sole score for the function and value of a particular human mind. There is certainly more to human intelligence, and as such, the IQ score is like looking at half of a picture and making definitive conclusions about the whole.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the urban myth that exists which says that Int is equivalent to IQ/10

Count the percentiles. Stats for the general population are 3d6.

(Knowledge, schmoledge)

That could also mean that the test is only designed for the range of 90-140 or so. If someone gets all the questions right in a simple test obviously you can't tell whether he's 140 or 180. Likewise if he guesses all the answers it's impossible to tell exactly how dumb he is.

Yeah, the results could still be inflated for marketing reasons, but your statistical reasoning doesn't hold water.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »
    the urban myth that exists which says that Int is equivalent to IQ/10

Count the percentiles. Stats for the general population are 3d6.

(Knowledge, schmoledge)

Sadly, the official word is apparently to divide by ten. See the Official FAQ. But that's obviously idiotic as far as simulating anything approaching our world, simply due to the percentiles. Admittedly, it does call it a rule of thumb.

Linden on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As a kid in like grade 3 or 4, I was tested for placement in the "advanced" school and the tests were pretty long, I think I took like two or three a week for about two months, all different like portions of intelligence and stuff. Nothing ever came of it, and as a kid I was fairly confused as to why people had been making a big deal about me for nothing.

Flash forward to last year, when I got to look at my permanent records in 11th grade. My scores were all passing for the requirements to this advanced school, except for "motor skills", because at that age they were just as important I suppose. I read the comments, which went something like this:

"Alpine displays a tendency to write his letters improperly, from bottom to top. His lowercase f's are written in three portions. He should focus on corrective steps."

Well eff that, I write from the bottom to the top on letters like l and t and j still, and my f's start as t's and I draw the little curve after I draw the cross.

Failure in motor skills my ass, even professionally administered IQ tests are bogus.

Alpine on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never learned to touch type. However years of practice have made my 2-fingered typing ridiculously quick.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never learned to touch type. However years of practice have made my 2-fingered typing ridiculously quick.

I go about 65 words a minute, 96% accuracy when I'm really trying. Thumbs for space bar, pinky for shift, ring finger for backspace.

Alpine on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Mario taught me how to type.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Alpine wrote: »
    Failure in motor skills my ass, even professionally administered IQ tests are bogus.

That's not really an IQ test, the handwriting thing. Its very strange that they didn't actively try to correct you. My brother kept writing from right to left, ekil siht, when he was first learning, and had to have a little extra attention paid until he stopped it. They got him to draw a green dot on the left of the page and a red dot on the right, like traffic lights :P I'd say they were worried about you developing similar communication impairing problems, although their fears seem unfounded. Can other people read your writing? Do you write slower than other people?

'course, primary school educators can be anal retentive little shits, too. One primary school I went to made kids earn a 'license' before they could graduate to writing in ink. Sooo stupid, making a big thing out of a small step like that. I'm sure it must have given some kids test anxiety and fucked them up on tests that actually mattered later on.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man I remember the license thing. I remember not getting it, moving onto pens anyway. I think that's really the origin of my usual question "do they actually plan to enforce this in anyway?"

Because only 10 service hours from a blood donation in Year 11 suggests it was the right one.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    'course, primary school educators can be anal retentive little shits, too. One primary school I went to made kids earn a 'license' before they could graduate to writing in ink. Sooo stupid, making a big thing out of a small step like that. I'm sure it must have given some kids test anxiety and fucked them up on tests that actually mattered later on.
    Haha, I remember something similar at my primary school. The teacher would reward people by letting them use fountain pens. It was a reward I never received while the rest of the class did(my handwriting is indeed poor, although the reason I was singled out as the only person in the class not to get to use a proper pen was the teacher actually having something personal against me).

To this day I tend to make a real mess if I try and use a fountain pen, ink everywhere. It's a horrid sight.

We had something similar with joined up writing, you had to be able to print neatly before they'd let you join everything up. Like most other adults though now my writing is a weird mixture of printed letters and joined letters. I remember one of the teachers used to join some and print others and thinking it was really bad. I've become everything I hated!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Everything of value I've ever written was typed. My early childhood teachers were totally wasting their time teaching me cursive.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My mum taught infants so I could write my name before I started school - that meant first pick of the toys!

My brother, on the other, had real problems as he was the only left-handed kid in the class. He taught himself to write with his right hand because that's what he saw all the other kids doing and thought he'd got it wrong. His hand writing's still pretty crappy but he's an amazing painter.

Gorak on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    My mum taught infants so I could write my name before I started school - that meant first pick of the toys!

My brother, on the other, had real problems as he was the only left-handed kid in the class. He taught himself to write with his right hand because that's what he saw all the other kids doing and thought he'd got it wrong. His hand writing's still pretty crappy but he's an amazing painter.

My handwriting is crappy too, and I'm a lefty, although I never felt pressure to switch to my right hand. Unfortunately I can't claim any artistic skill, but there's the whole pop-psychology thing about left-handed people being "right-brained," and that "right-brained" people are more creative/artistic. For what it's worth.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

My school did this. I actually had my license revoked for making too many mistakes and I was demoted to using pencils.

Demoted to using pencils.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Now, now. Conformity is the only true sign of intelligence.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »

Now, now. Conformity is the only true sign of intelligence.

I can always identify smart people when I meet them because they agree with me.
    :lol:

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    My handwriting is crappy too, and I'm a lefty, although I never felt pressure to switch to my right hand.

It wasn't pressure, he's just a muppet.

Gorak on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've read a few places that now people giving tests say IQ tests aren't so much about intelligence, but "success". At least, that's what they claim is the reason they don't correct for racial bias. If you don't know X because you're poor/not in the majority culture, then that's a problem for you, not the test.

I think it just makes them sound even more useless. What does my... 390 ... mean, when all it says is "you will probably do well, maybe. Unless you lose cash between then and now. Or contacts, or family, or don't end up in college." At least when it was just "intellect", it supposedly measured a stable trait. Whcih was still BS, but at least would be useful if it was true.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some years ago I took an IQ test and got a 154.

Then about a year later I took another IQ test and got a 79.

So I'm either smart or dumb.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Some years ago I took an IQ test and got a 154.

Then about a year later I took another IQ test and got a 79.

So I'm either smart or dumb.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're both right. One of you just needs to kill the other one and take over the brain to escape Hitchcockian consequences.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a genius level IQ.

I have a college GPA that is currently below a 2.0. I am a 22 year old Junior. It took me five times of taking Calculus I before I actually passed it. I graduated high school with a GPA or 2.09 (that is not a typo.) I didn't bother to get my driver's liscense until I was 21. I have generally just been floating aimlessly through my life not accomplishing much of anything.

Oh, but I got a 1470 on my SATs (out of 1600)

See how "much" IQ matters?

Evander on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had/have similar test scores (1460 SAT, 32 ACT, et...) and a college GPA at 3.85 and I was denied a scholarship to a school I was wanting to transfer to. The deciding board felt that my 76% in English 102 (the prof was going through a nasty divorce, and no one in the class got above a 78%) showed a possibility that I could struggle with the writing intensive nature of the program I was wanting to transfer into (the Oxbridge Honors Program at William Jewell College).

They seemed to ignore the fact that I got an A in every other class I had taken to that point. Including 2 Honors History Classes and Philosophy of Religion, all of which all used essay tests for every major grade in the class.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I have a genius level IQ.

I have a college GPA that is currently below a 2.0. I am a 22 year old Junior. It took me five times of taking Calculus I before I actually passed it. I graduated high school with a GPA or 2.09 (that is not a typo.) I didn't bother to get my driver's liscense until I was 21. I have generally just been floating aimlessly through my life not accomplishing much of anything.

Oh, but I got a 1470 on my SATs (out of 1600)

See how "much" IQ matters?

You claim to have a "genius level IQ," but you've managed to conflate the concepts of motivation and intelligence like an idiot.

See how much your assessment of stratified measures of intelligence matters?

Wonder_Hippie on