As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wake up wake up don't sleep

trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
There's some animal scratching at our door.

A woman is frantically whispering in my ear, "Wake up, wake up, you can't sleep. Don't sleep tonight. YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP."

So after several, "LOL you were still dreaming and didn't actually wake up" attempts I finally woke up with a sense of supreme urgency, checked the front door and all my roommates and am now sitting here all freaked out.

So, tell me your nightmares.

http://www.botsnthings.com/
I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

trentsteel on

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I have sex dreams about my mom.

Happy now?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a nightmare on my absolutely worst fear the other night. I dreamed I got a call informing me that my younger brother died in some accident. I woke up terrified and stumbled into his room, to discover he wasn't there, sleeping peacefully. My heart died for a half second until I remembered he was in Europe on some school trip.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a nightmare which I will remember with vivid detail until I'm dead. I'm standing somewhere, on rubble, and I'm staring. The world isn't...right. The sky is cloudy, but brown. The sun leaks through the clouds in diseased shafts. My vision is brown, like I'm watching through a sepia-tone lens. Everything is a ruin, the skeletons of dead buildings are everywhere. I look to the horizon and I see a huge, monstrous wall, that looks like it's made of flesh and bone. There are huge bonespur spires which claw up into the sky, far into the sickly clouds. I look at this thing and know that it's living. Then I get a distinct feeling of terror, and that it's coming from the sky. Then I'm trying to fit into a small space, somewhere, and the terror is behind me. My father and stepmother are there, somehow. They say nothing, do nothing, but look straight up into the air. Then I hear a voice. That's not right, actually. It's a chorus of voices, screaming wordless rage from a great distance. It builds into a cacophany of hatred. It stops for a split second and they all scream in unison, "They....were...BOYS!!!" At 'boys', there's an incredible, alien screech, and I'm sitting bolt upright in bed. As I woke up, I understand with absolute, unquestioning certainty, that the deliverer of The Voice was a marionette. I never decided if this was literal or figurative, an actual army of marionettes, or more monstrous puppets. It's not something I like to think about.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I have sex dreams about my mom.

Happy now?

I have sex dreams about your mom too.

They are pretty nightmarish.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The last nightmare I had was very brief. I had this long dream about this huge and winding house that I was showing off to a tour group, and at some point I left the group and went into the basement for something. Down there I saw three guys from the tour group looking around, and I was all "Hey, what's up?" They all stopped, turned to face me, and after about a second delay pulled out switchblades and jumped for me. I started running and woke up with that feeling of terror all throughout my body.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    This is a nightmare which I will remember with vivid detail until I'm dead. I'm standing somewhere, on rubble, and I'm staring. The world isn't...right. The sky is cloudy, but brown. The sun leaks through the clouds in diseased shafts. My vision is brown, like I'm watching through a sepia-tone lens. Everything is a ruin, the skeletons of dead buildings are everywhere. I look to the horizon and I see a huge, monstrous wall, that looks like it's made of flesh and bone. There are huge bonespur spires which claw up into the sky, far into the sickly clouds. I look at this thing and know that it's living. Then I get a distinct feeling of terror, and that it's coming from the sky. Then I'm trying to fit into a small space, somewhere, and the terror is behind me. My father and stepmother are there, somehow. They say nothing, do nothing, but look straight up into the air. Then I hear a voice. That's not right, actually. It's a chorus of voices, screaming wordless rage from a great distance. It builds into a cacophany of hatred. It stops for a split second and they all scream in unison, "They....were...BOYS!!!" At 'boys', there's an incredible, alien screech, and I'm sitting bolt upright in bed. As I woke up, I understand with absolute, unquestioning certainty, that the deliverer of The Voice was a marionette. I never decided if this was literal or figurative, an actual army of marionettes, or more monstrous puppets. It's not something I like to think about.

okay that is pretty damn creepy
    got goosebumps reading that

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Once I dreamed I was a detective arriving at a crime scene.

Kermit the frog was dressed as a detective as well, standing next to a tree at the edge of a forest with "Crime Scene" tape all around it.

A muppet was lying there in pieces, all cut up with dried blood in the leaves around him.

Kermit was serious as cancer.

"It happened again," he told me.

I was fucking eight when I dreamt this.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    That dream is literally the primary reason I'm so fucking paranoid. It's like it started some hideous chain of events beyond my perceptions and my entire life is just a crescendo building up to some unknowable horror.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When I was 7 or 8 I dreamt I was at my uncle's house, and got caught in his automatic gate which retracted into the wall, slowly grinding and crushing me to death.

I woke up naked and covered in vomit.

Yeah, I dont know.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When I was 7 or 8 I dreamt I was at my uncle's house, and got caught in his automatic gate which retracted into the wall, slowly grinding and crushing me to death.

Yeah, I dont know.

Do you know whose vomit it was?

RocketScience on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to have a nightmare where I'd dream in abstract. Floating colours and shapes, and millions of voices just out of earshot.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah, I dont know.

Do you know whose vomit it was?

You can't really dust for vomit.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i often have terrible dreams about stars and spaceships. any time when i'm dreaming and i look into the night sky i'll inevitably see a low-flying alien cruiser or a giant planet looming on the horizon or stars starting to get sucked inward to a single point as the universe collapses. it's always the beginning of an imminent disaster and i usually wake up terrified

hasn't happened in a while, fortunately

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Last night I dreamt I had to sit by G. W. Bush and listen to him pretend to sing songs with his guitar.

I woke in a cold sweat. No more cheese before bed.

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a nightmare where I knew, with the inexplicable certainty that only a dream can provide, that someone was going to kill my sister. But I couldn't get anyone to believe me, as everyone was convinced I was just pulling their chain. So we're on a tour of some abandoned military base. Like, World War I era, and the tour guide splits everybody into two groups. I was put in a different group from my sister, despite my protests. Each faction of the group is led down a different hallway, but there's a long, barred window that runs between the two. It's possible to see into the other hall, but impossible to reach it. Suddenly, the group around my sister disappears and is replaced by a woman, early twenties, with pale white skin, white hair, and a black cocktail dress. I start freaking out, and the people in my tour group restrain me and keep me from moving, but force me to watch while the pale bitch takes my sister's head and snaps her neck.

Pretty much all of my fears bundled into one convenient little nightmare package.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    You're scared of women in cocktail dresses?

Man you'd be terrible at classy parties..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Those black cocktail dresses are pretty scary.

Shorty on
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    in my dream last night my cousin was stalking me. It ended with me beating him in the head with a hammer

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Almost all my nightmares involve having to run from something I can't see but know is chasing me, and not being able to move fast enough; like the ground isn't offering enough resistance to move myself. Pretty generic stuff, really.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I woke up to a screaming headache and a FUCKING YAPPY DOG so i couldn't go back to sleep

GOD DAMMIT

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My dad's pretty awesome guy.

"Hey dad, what's this tape?"
    "Dawn of the Dead, want to watch it?"
    "Okay!"

Cue recurring zombie nightmares from ages 7-16.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a dream once where I was swimming from a beach out to some island and right when I got half way between the two I stuck my head underwater just in time to see the silhouette of an enormous shark swimming right past my feet. Right when I thought it was going to swim past and forget about me it turned around and started heading straight at me.

Usually in dreams when something is coming at me with intent to eat me it fucks with me for a little while before I die and wake up, but in this particular situation I woke up before it got anywhere near me. I'm pretty sure I died of fucking fright.

I'm like really scared of sharks.

Remington on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't had a nightmare in a decade. I can remember one from when I was about five, though.

It's late at night, and I'm standing in front of an old plantation-style southern mansion, in the bushes. The moon isn't out, and the only light is coming from inside.

I'm inside, laying in a bed. The room is windowless, silent, empty, and twice as big as a room should be. One of the walls- an interior wall, adjacent to a hallway, is actually a set of folding doors, with large slants cut into it. There's a dim, yellow light in the hallway, casting striped shadows into the room.

The light moves through the hallway. The slants are angled such that I can't see the actual light source, only the shifting rectangles it casts into the room. I'm struggling to get out of bed, but I'm trapped under the blanket.

I look up, and there's a square light fixture on the ceiling casting the same dim, yellow light. It's the type where the light is concealed behind an opaque piece of glass, indirectly lighting the room. The hallway is dark.

The fixture starts to move along the ceiling, to the far wall. As I'm watching it move, I can see the image of a screaming face cast by the light, obscured behind the glass. When it gets to the top edge of the wall, it slides downward, the footboard of the bed blocking my view of it. I know it's moving towards the bed, though; the shadows in the room shift. I can see the shadows of chairs, a desk, and stuffed toys upon the walls, though I know those things aren't in the room. The light moves up the end up the bed and onto the covers, on top of my feet. The glass stops, and the face slides out from under it. It's as if it's being projected on the bed, with no visible depth to it. It moves up to my chest, and screams.

I'm outside the house on a porch, looking through a screen door into the bedroom. I can see myself in the bed. The face stops screaming, and slides down the bed towards me. I run down the porch steps and look backwards, watching the face twist and contort in pain as it moves along the ground after me.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I work in aviation. I often have nightmares of being outside at the airport and watching a plane do a low-and-over on it's way to a crash. Happens about twice a year or so, it's really scary.

Just recently, however, I had a nightmare... about two months ago that was unrelated to aviation. The funny thing is that I can't remember what it was about but I actually woke up, bolted right up in bed. It's the first time in about 20 years I've had a nightmare like that. Luckily I sleep alone otherwise whoever was with me might have been hurt. I've been trying to remember what it was about and I can't, but I do know that my nightmares tend to be bad for "over-all creep" factor. Just a series of really, really terrible events one after the other.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007

"Okay!"

My dad did the same thing to me with Alien.

Shorty on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had this other dream when I was little that my parents turned into giant spiders and tried to get me.

D:

Remington on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »

"Okay!"

My dad did the same thing to me with Alien.

...and my dad with Superman III.

what it was scary okay

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    last week i had this dream that was like 'the last king of scotland' meets 'the wire'
    but i havent seen the last king of scotland and i dont know anything about the guy so my brain substituted james earl jones from 'coming to america' in the place of forrest whitaker

and the scenario was that this brutal genocidal dictator was in exile and had lost all his money and power and ended up in america and had to live in some ghetto housing project because he couldnt afford anywhere else

and avon barkesdale, local drug kingpin and streetcat, sees him in the street and says some shit about how he runs this neighbourhood and doesnt care how powerful the dude was back in africa, because he doesnt have his army to back him up so in the ghetto he is nothing and should get used to someone else being in charge
    maybe pushed him around a bit too, maybe knocked him to the ground

so dictator guy looks all weak, but avon didnt figure that the dude wasnt just powerful cos of the army, but also because he was a fucking scary nutcase. the next morning people get up and find avon tied up against the wall of his house, and dictators basically worked him over all night like some crazy surgeon. dudes stomach has been cut open and his digestive tract, still attached to his body, is pulled out and pinned out on the wall around him, intestines fanning out like the whole thing is a showpiece on display

and hes still awake and breathing. ends up all they can salvage is a small part of the intestine, so he ends up like that dude who tried to kill himself with drano or something, or like that girl who sat on the pool suction. you know, permanent eating difficulties and probably forever kinda weak, or frail. and very much put in his place by the last king of scotland/james earl jones

and that is why streetcats should not think that they are anywhere near as hard as a crazy dictator who has killed thousands of his own people

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Air wrote: »
    and that is why streetcats should not think that they are anywhere near as hard as a crazy dictator who has killed thousands of his own people

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah, there was this one, which was different, from several years ago:

I'm lying in bed and see a light coming from outside my window. This is at like 6:00 AM so I'm not super suprised. But then I hear a sound coming towards the window as well, a sort of dragging step. It's important to note at this point that due to the angle my bed made with the wall and the small size of the window made it so I couldn't see directly out of it. I'm a little weirded out so I decide to go and investigate. And at this point realize that I can't move. I'm completely paralyzed besides my eyes and my mind. I want to shout to wake up my parents or sister, but I can barely even breathe. And all the while I can feel whatever is outside my window drawing closer. The strongest feeling of impending death and doom I've felt in my entire life, growing stronger by the minute, as the presense approaches. I feel like I'm going crazy or something because I feel entirely mentally alert and conscious, not at all in a dream like state.

To my ineffable relief, I hear my dad coming down the stairs to get to the garage and go to work; he usually checked on me before leaving. But for whatever reason, that day he didn't, and I couldn't do anything at all to draw him into the room and end this insane ordeal. I hear him get in his car and drive off, and still feel the absolute, unfiltered dread approaching. I am pretty much going crazy at this point, and then, suddenly, at the point I am sure some unknowable horror is about to burst in through my window, everything disappears. I'm just laying in my bed. I can move, I talk, I don't feel any strange "presense". But the thing was, I didn't go through any mental transition; there wasn't a "waking up" out of sleep. Which, at the time, left me confounded as to the reality of the experience.

Only much later, when browsing Wikipedia would I happen upon Hypnogogia, and realize that this was probably exactly what I'd experienced.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    well my subconscious thought this was something i should be aware of

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    the one time i took some fairly strong sleeping pills i spent a while lying in bed half asleep and kinda hallucinating or just imagining shit and i think talking a bit during this time, like having conversations with no one

and my dog was sleeping in my room and found it necessary to wake me up twice during the night which it hasnt done at any other time so i guess maybe i was sleeptalking all night or somethin

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the one time i took some fairly strong sleeping pills i spent a while lying in bed half asleep and kinda hallucinating or just imagining shit and i think talking a bit during this time, like having conversations with no one

and my dog was sleeping in my room and found it necessary to wake me up twice during the night which it hasnt done at any other time so i guess maybe i was sleeptalking all night or somethin

stilnox?

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've gone on the patch a couple times to quit smoking for a while. With the patch on and nicotine constantly in your system it prevents you from sleeping very deeply if you still wear it at night, even if you've had that same one on all day. So, you can sleep, but you don't get very deep, certainly not past REM for long. I've had some fucked up dreams while wearing the patch.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    I've gone on the patch a couple times to quit smoking for a while. With the patch on and nicotine constantly in your system it prevents you from sleeping very deeply if you still wear it at night, even if you've had that same one on all day. So, you can sleep, but you don't get very deep, certainly not past REM for long. I've had some fucked up dreams while wearing the patch.

Yeah. I also tended to drift in and out of sleep when I was on the patch, and I would get up in the morning with vague memories of waking up, doing incredibly strange things, and then passing back out.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Another dark dream, though it didn't feel like a nightmare and I wasn't ever scared.

I'm in the back seat of an old, broken car. There's four other guys in the car with me- three in the front, another in the rear. It looks like we're in the middle of a junkyard, but everything- the towering stacks of crushed metal, the dusty ground, and the clouded sky- is rusting. I can see the ground crack as we start to move, and it seems as if the clouds themselves are chipping away. We drive out of the junkyard and into the desert.

The world is lit oddly. It's dusk, but there's no sun. The light is coming from the brownish-red clouds above us, while the sky behind them is pitch black. Even though I can see long shadows being cast by an apparent sunset, it's as if the sky is a second light source, illuminating the darkness. Though I can see in the shadows, I don't know what it is I see.

We're driving down an old highway. The front windows are broken, and a dusty wind blinds me. I try to look at the man next to me, but he's dressed in countless layers of thick clothing. Everybody is wearing a hood over his head, including me. I'm sweating under my clothes, but the wind is freezing.

The driver starts talking about what we're going to do- where we'll go to gather supplies, how we'll find a shelter, how to fortify it, and so forth. I look out the window to better survey the world around.

The first thing that strikes me is how alien the landscape is. It's flat, but pockmarked with gullies, ditches, hills, and moguls. There isn't anything remarkable in the landscape, as far as the horizon. The highway is elevated a little bit, so I can see pretty far. But I see nothing.

The second thing I notice is that, in fact, I do see something. I see the ruins of buildings, dotting the landscape. The skeletal remains of skyscrapers and the crumbling walls of smaller structures stand isolated from eachother in this wasteland. The ruins aren't what concerns me- it's the desert. There's no rubble, no roads between each solitary ruin. Imagine someone going through the ruins of a city, and sweeping away all but a few isolated pockets of wreckage.

We pull off the highway and drive through the desert for some time, until we come upon a sort of square, five-story motel complex. Somebody says something about it being easily fortified, so we stop the car out "front" and get out. I say "front" because each side of the building is the same- rusted balconies and dirt-obscured windows. There aren't any doors or windows on the ground floor, and the only way we can get inside is through an alley leading into the inner courtyard.

We take some metal panels and boxes that were tied down on top of the car or in the trunk and enter the courtyard. I expect to see a pool, or patio, or something inside, but it's just a square patch of desert. There aren't any doors or windows on the inner walls of the first floor, either. It's like somebody built a foundation a story tall, but I know the walls are hollow. The building also seems taller from within the courtyard, perhaps three stories taller, boxing us in. The clouds overhead provide some light for our sanctary, but the corners are dark.

One of the guys sets up a sort of massive guillotine door over the alley, allowing us to close ourselves in if need be. The group starts talking about our plans for the next month, but I can't hear them. All I can do is look up at the floors above us. Though the windows are too dirty for me to see into, it feels like there's somebody in each room, looking down.

One of the guys tells me that we're going out for supplies. And by "we," I mean him and I. Three of the guys are staying behind. We head back down the alley, and get into the car. We go back to the highway and drive for some time, before going off the road into the desert again. Eventually, we find an abandoned supermarket, standing alone. There aren't any other ruins, and only the distant line of the highway tells me what direction I'm facing.

We stop the car, and my friend gets out to get the food and drinks we came here for. As soon as he steps through one of the broken windows and into the absolute darkness of the building, I feel alone. I wait for a long time before getting out of the car to find him.

I enter the building. Aside from some toppled shelves and broken register lines, there's nothing- no food, no friend. I wander through the isles, but it's all empty. I don't feel alone, though, so I leave.

I return to the car and drive back to the highway, and then to the motel. In the time I've been gone, my friends have managed to climb the outer wall and cover most of the windows and glass doors with old corrugated metal sheets. The second and third floors are mostly covered, and the balconies have been removed. I walk back down the alley, but the door they built earlier is closed. I bang on it and yell for somebody to open up and let me in.

The door opens, and I walk into the courtyard. Nobody is there. I look back down the alley, and the car is gone.

There's a door on the first floor. I go to it, open up, and enter the darkness.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »

stilnox?

yea howd you know

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »

stilnox?

yea howd you know

haha i have had some super fun times on that stuff

it's unreal

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    shit i gotta get some more of it

oh hey you live in australia too

is it prescription only or something?
    can i just go to a pharmacy and ask for some?

because i dont wanna ask my mother for more, or for any details about it

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    shit i gotta get some more of it

oh hey you live in australia too

is it prescription only or something?
    can i just go to a pharmacy and ask for some?

because i dont wanna ask my mother for more, or for any details about it

prescription only

and it's been getting some pretty bad press, so doctors are fairly reluctant to hand out presciptions

so good a couple of years ago, used to be able to get repeats easy

have stilnox parties

even so though, you should be able to get some no problem. pull some bullshit spiel on stress of uni, and other sleeping pills make you nauseous, or whatnot.

Glorfindel on