Options

Microsoft Admits ALL Xbox360's Are Defective

2»

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    There is no such news at Kotaku, Joystiq, or even neogaf. Highly Suspect.

And if it's not on those sites, it's definitely not true!

Again, where has Microsoft admitted to this? Where's the press release? Why aren't there any quotes from someone at Microsoft in the article about this?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I wonder why they never found out about the problem while testing the thing for problems.

Did they ever say that? It's possible they knew it could be an issue, but they needed to get the system out on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to overlook it in order to get an edge on the next gen consoles.

It's also possible that in testing, they found the problem, but didn't connect it to a design flaw, but just individual failures, defective units, or a manufacturing problem. They've always been willing to fix systems after they die as far as I've heard, so I suspect they at least knew it could happen.

As for the OP: It probably won't get to the point that a recall will be required. The extra warranty will end up catching a lot of dead 360's, and I assume new and replacement 360's will be fixed. Companies are usually forced into recalls when they don't do stuff like that, and their products continue to have a high failure rate outside of warranty.

I'm assuming, of course, they're fixing the problem, and at some point in the near future, newly shipped 360's and replacements for failed existing units will be free of this defect. Three years from now, if every 360 out there is still prone to breaking, then that might become an issue.

Edit:
    Well a lawsuit that results in a few hundred dollars loss isn't going to kill them.

A class action lawsuit costing them a few hundred times 11.5 million dollars is going to hurt. If it's true it's a design flaw, then that's a possibility. If it's not true, then it's still a common problem, and the potential of a smaller scale class action on behalf of owners of broken units would still hurt. Either way, companies usually don't get a lawsuit for a few hundred dollars - they get a class action representing thousands or millions of customers for a few hundred each.

Still not kill them - companies typically have liability insurance to offset this stuff, and class action settlements sometimes take the form of interest bearing accounts. I'm getting $8 a month for the next seven years from a settlement like that.

Hevach on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't see a direct quote from Microsoft saying "Yes, all 360s are defective," so I'd take a wait-and-see stance with this news. They might just be taking a leap of logic with the warranty change. Wait for some of the bigger sites to report it before considering it gospel.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think we can all probably deduce that, considering all 360s up till the Elite model have been manufactured completely the same, damn near all 360s have the defect.

I'd be willing to bet the Elite has the defect as well, seeing as they only added larger glops of epoxy around the GPU and CPU.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If true, this confirms what I suspected for months now. Also if true, good for them for finally manning up to it. Honesty is the best policy after all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just did a google search on this. All I got was a digg article. So yeah this is bullshit speculation.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me if this were true, but until Microsoft release a press release or some gaming site confirms this I'd take it with a grain of salt. To me it looks like someone's trying to make a bigger story out of the warranty announcement.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Better check Spong

I check 4chan for un-biased, reliable news reports

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wonder if there will be a revision change with the newly manufactured/upgraded 360s.

I want to be sure I don't get a pre-update unit.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so uh this is bullshit huh

okie doke

Ranced on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    do you happen to know if i can check that on my xbox.com profile or anything?

i really want to make sure this sucker is covered.

the 360 launched on november 22, 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360)
    even if you bought one at launch, it'd still be covered for at least another year.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Better check Spong

I check 4chan for un-biased, reliable news reports

I get all my reputable gaming news from youtube commenters.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Best I can find for a Microsoft "admission of fault" is this: http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-05WarrantyExtentionPR.mspx

Not as strongly worded as the OP's link would suggest, but I thought this was sorta telling:
    As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures. Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers.

Sounds like they've actually altered the console somehow to combat the problem. Might not be a defect per-se, but the design has something to do with it at least.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Best I can find for a Microsoft "admission of fault" is this: http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-05WarrantyExtentionPR.mspx

Not as strongly worded as the OP's link would suggest, but I thought this was sorta telling:
    As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures. Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers.
    Sounds like they've actually altered the console somehow to combat the problem. Might not be a defect per-se, but the design has something to do with it at least.

That's... that's like taken word for word from the warranty announcement from last week.

I'm calling this news story BS. Microsoft didn't admit to anything.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, uhhh....since we already have a thread about the proposed 3-year 360 warranty, why does this thread exist?

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright, I'm getting this thread purged.

I guess nothing new came from this article.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's... that's like taken word for word from the warranty announcement from last week.

It is the warranty announcement from last week. Microsoft hasn't said boo except that and the open letter on xbox.com, which says even less.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Alright, I'm getting this thread purged.

I guess nothing new came from this article.

Thanks victor :^:

Zenitram on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    check out http://www.crn.com.au/ which is supposedly the source OP got his info from. I searched the front page and even did an archive search on 'xbox 360' and nothing came up about microsoft admitting to anything.

We've been shang-hai'd gentleman

Shogun on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nozz wrote: »
    I think it's quite refreshing to see a console company behave in this manner. I don't own any consoles (just handhelds) so try not to take this as fanboyism, but I doubt you'd see sony come right out and say something like this.

Maybe not, but !!!

They should have owned up to it a looong time ago, or at least quietly fixed it under the hood. It's practically insulting that they didn't just quietly fix it, actually. And anyway, they didn't own up to it, the article is probably just wild extrapolation from the wording of the 3 year-warranty press release.

And the new 'fix' is just a stupid heat sync, ha ha yeah right.

I think they need their asses sued off, forced to do an across the board recall and replace every 360 with one with the new chip & the MB clamped to holy hell in 99 different places.

I'm just bitter cause I kinda want a 360 but have no patience for wrangling broken hardware and hilarious customer service escapades.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    Nozz wrote: »
    I think it's quite refreshing to see a console company behave in this manner. I don't own any consoles (just handhelds) so try not to take this as fanboyism, but I doubt you'd see sony come right out and say something like this.

I'm just bitter cause I kinda want a 360 but have no patience for wrangling broken hardware and hilarious customer service escapades.

It's worth it anyway. I got my 360 less than a month after launch, and 6 months later it died on me. Microsoft's customer service is excellent, quick and easy.

That plus a 3-year warranty would be good enough for me, especially if the problem is becoming less severe and possibly even fixed.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sooo...I don't really know if Microsoft has admitted anything, but is it true that they have already fixed the design flaw? If so, will my 360 that is at the repair center for 6 weeks going to have this fix, or will I get a new one with the design fix?

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thread title is a severe exaggeration at best, and at worst maybe even a lie.

Microsoft has extended the warranty, yes, and they have done this for obvious reasons, of higher-than-normal breaking rates, but nowhere did they "admit fault" that all 360's are "defective."

capable heart on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    360 fix:

article_img.jpg

New heatsink.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Even if this were the case, coming out and saying shit like this would just make me support MS more. Honesty wins me over.

With that said, this 'news' is not winning me over.

Because it is not honest.

See what I'm getting at?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Two things.

1. I also have not played my 360 in about a month or two. This is my second 360 and it had red lights right when I plugged it in, but works if you try a few times (sometimes it works just fine...if I turn it on by opening the disk tray). I want to get pacman so bad but I figure it will be a waste of money because microsoft gave us such an unreliable console.

2. With that heat sink picture, get it side by side with the original wiring and what not to see the full change.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Keenbean, they have admitted their mistakes, but they have not claimed that all 360s are defective because NOT ALL 360s ARE DEFECTIVE.

I'd say they handled it rather well by saying that customer service and quality has not been up to snuff, so they decide to extend warranties for everyone and put it a new heatsink.

edit: nm Keen, you were talking about the OP

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I would guess Microsoft is not saying all 360s are defective because that would lead to a recall...

Microsoft stands to lose a lot less by going the "extended warranty" route rather than the recall route, based on the fact that there are going to be a lot of people who won't act on that warranty.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only good thing about this news, were it true, is that it would stop idiots accusing me of keeping my 360 in a shoebox wrapped in a blanket on a 3 minute microwave cook cycle inside an oven in the middle of summer.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The thread title is a severe exaggeration at best, and at worst maybe even a lie.

Microsoft has extended the warranty, yes, and they have done this for obvious reasons, of higher-than-normal breaking rates, but nowhere did they "admit fault" that all 360's are "defective."
    Even if this were the case, coming out and saying shit like this would just make me support MS more. Honesty wins me over.

See what I'm getting at?

Jesus guys, you're reading too much into my post. I just wanted to spread any news regarding the issue.

I don't have an agenda against the 360, I want one.

I don't take lightly to accusations about biased opinions.

I already sent a request to Apotheos to purge or lock this thread. Sorry for even trying to contribute something here, damn.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »

See what I'm getting at?

Jesus guys, you're reading too much into my post. I just wanted to spread any news regarding the issue.

I don't have an agenda against the 360, I want one.

I don't take lightly to accusations about biased opinions.

I already sent a request to Apotheos to purge or lock this thread. Sorry for even trying to contribute something here, damn.

Don't apologize for this. For all you know this could still be a true story. Most of the gaming sites are busy/exhausted from E3 and that's why they haven't commented.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This would be major financial news. Admitting that all the consoles are defective would mean that everyone inside their new 3 year warrantee (all customers) could send their console back even if it wasnt broken. It wouldnt just be the game sites reporting it, this would be everywhere, and Microsoft would be being sued by their shareholders for poor business practice since they would have hugely increased the premium cost on the insurance they would have taken out for the new warrantees by admitting this when they had no reason to.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I guess we can consider this properly disregardable.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.