As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Firefox: Proxy vs. Direct Connection(solved)

TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Uhhhm, so, in the Firefox connection settings...

There is "direct connection to the internet" or you can use a proxy server.

Is there a difference between these in terms of security/virus proof-ness and such?

TM2 Rampage on

• CKyleCKyle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe a proxy means you have a special set-up where another computer is the one making real connections to the internet and firefox just relays info back and forth between you and the proxy. You'd probably know if you had a proxy system set up, so just choose direct connection.

CKyle on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes; a proxy is a gateway server to the internet. If you don't have one, don't enter one in.

Lewisham on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah... alright... It was set to a proxy server on my parents' comp (which is using the wireless internet from my router), but that server wasn't working, so I set it to just auto-detect a proxy server, which worked.

After reading this thread, though, I tried setting it to direct connection and that worked, too...

TM2 Rampage on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It probably worked because Firefox didn't find a proxy server, so just used a direct connection.

Lewisham on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah, I see... thanks.

TM2 Rampage on