As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feces Removal Technology of the World

freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I recently came across an interesting article highlighting the differences between German toilets and those of most other countries. According to this article, German toilets have an inspection shelf built in, so that the water then has to push the poop into the whole rather than simply carrying it away. While I enjoy taking a peek at my accomplishments as much as the next guy, this is pretty amazing, if true. Can anybody vouch for the author's claims?

Herein we shall discuss all manners of poop-related technologies from holes in the ground to possible poop-chutes of the future!

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• Options
    scottlongscottlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i don't need no fancy shit seat

scottlong on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that's... horrendous.

I wonder how long this goes before Godwin has to step in.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The toilets described in that "article" sound shitty.
    Sorry, I had to.

Peewi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Only the country that gave us Nazis could come up with this.
    Yeah.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1) Why the hell is this a topic?!?

2) It's true.

3) We have it in Netherlands too, and one of the things it does, you don't take a dump into the water, and there is no splash. This splash effect greatly annoys me in foreign toilets. Having toilet water splash against your behind = do not want.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why did you think this was something anyone cared about.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »

2) It's true.

3) We have it in Netherlands too, and one of the things it does, you don't take a dump into the water, and there is no splash. This splash effect greatly annoys me in foreign toilets. Having toilet water splash against your behind = do not want.

o_O Man, I have not once in my entire life been splashed while taking a dump. And I have taken monumental dumps.

yalborap on
  • Options
    domitedomite __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Only the country that gave us Nazis could come up with this.
    Yeah.

There was an entire chapter of a book by a guy named Slavoj Zizek that said exactly that. It compared German, French and English toilets, pubic hair grooming practices ect. and the relating Ideoligies behind them. It is actually a facinating read.

domite on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lived over in Holland for a few years a decade and a half ago and they had those types of toilets in the school I was attending.

They really are horrifying.

germantoilet.jpg

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000212.html

I can remember pooping in them and being disgusted that the poo just sits there on a little ledge until you pull the lever and it gets pushed down the drain. Even after using them for four years I still hated them and it made me appreciate having my poops completely submerged in water.

Not all the toilets over there were like that, but the ones that were are just nasty European crazy things.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

2) It's true.

o_O Man, I have not once in my entire life been splashed while taking a dump. And I have taken monumental dumps.
    its a horrible, horrifying experience if it ever does happen to you. Not as horrible as these toiletesque abominations, but horrible nonetheless

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

2) It's true.

its a horrible, horrifying experience if it ever does happen to you. Not as horrible as these toiletesque abominations, but horrible nonetheless

It's even worse in a public restroom. You don't know who's shit has been there before!

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lived in Germany for about 4 years, and it's true. Their toilets could NOT be clogged.

I'm going to leave it at that, as no more information is necessary.

(Their sausages are amazing!!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    personally, I prefer
    toto-toliet-mp3.JPG

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    I lived over in Holland for a few years a decade and a half ago and they had those types of toilets in the school I was attending.

They really are horrifying.

germantoilet.jpg

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000212.html

I can remember pooping in them and being disgusted that the poo just sits there on a little ledge until you pull the lever and it gets pushed down the drain. Even after using them for four years I still hated them and it made me appreciate having my poops completely submerged in water.

Not all the toilets over there were like that, but the ones that were are just nasty European crazy things.

That's terrible. It would never work in America.

For me, I regularly have poops that go down the hole, wrap around the bowl once (sometimes twice), and stick up out of the water.

If my toilet had that flat ledge, I'd have to spend the better part of my pooping standing up or use a roll of toilet paper each time.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In the interest of fairness, I feel that I should probably refrain from this discussion.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been splashed.

That said, you guys that are freaking out about being able to see poop: it is poop. Get over it. It is not about to eat you, or rub itself in your face. It's part of how your body works, and this weird freaking out about being able to see part of your digestive system strikes me as a little unhealthy, and kinda childish.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    In the interest of fairness, I feel that I should probably refrain from this discussion.

Especially with that name.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't like the shit not being in the water because shit smells, and I sometimes have to be on the toilet for a while.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    that's... horrendous.

I wonder how long this goes before Godwin has to step in.

Godwin's law doesn't apply if you mention it first.

Evander on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm just trying to imagine what kind of pressure has to rocket down that toilet to scrape away all the poop, and I for one would like to try one. Also the most annoying part of pooping are floaters. Those lil turds that just won't flush. It seems as though this would eliminate that.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've been splashed.

That said, you guys that are freaking out about being able to see poop: it is poop. Get over it. It is not about to eat you, or rub itself in your face. It's part of how your body works, and this weird freaking out about being able to see part of your digestive system strikes me as a little unhealthy, and kinda childish.

so, do you bathe in your own urine?

Yeah, it is natural and comes from our body, but that doesn't mean we want to keep it around. it isn't called a waste product for nothing.

I don't think anyone was complaining about SEEING it; as far as I know no one here has eyes in their ass, forcing them to look into the bowl even though they don't want to.

the complaints I've seen, which I might add are valid reasons to prefer water sumerged systems, are A) that shit stinks, and B) having a shelf in the way of the hole might allow a particularly massive shit to smear itself on your ass cheeks. No, that wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's still something that you have to deal with.

Also, the valid point of no splashing has bee brought up.

What I'd like to know, though, is A) how well this system works when the user's stools are less than solid, and B) how low within the hole the water is, because I plan on being an old man some day, and shit is gonna be sagging like a mofo when I am. My mother actually had to buy my grandfather an elevated toilet seat a couple years back.

Evander on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    D: I had forgotten how I really hated taking a dump on those bathrooms while I was there, it really is as bad as it looks like and it does take quite a few flushes to completely remove the shit from that "platform". As bad as splashing and floaters can be they got nothing on these horrible horrible toilets...

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, I didn't even think about liquid poop.

That stuff is pressurized, and when it starts coming out, I think a nice round bowl of water absorbs the kinetic energy pretty well.

A flat, hard surface is just asking for splashback the likes of which would be used as a valid excuse to stay home from work.

Then again, bidets are pretty popular over there, correct?

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes my poop is kind of greasy or sticky for some reason.

My first thought upon seeing the diagram in that article was man it would suck to have to wipe the shit down the toilet if it were too sticky to slide down.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I've been splashed.

Bathing in urine and being able to see poop are apparently comparable?
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    They really are horrifying [...]

I can remember pooping in them and being disgusted that the poo just sits there on a little ledge until you pull the lever and it gets pushed down the drain.

Yeah, maybe I misinterpreted this, and he's complaining about the stink, or the mess, or whatever. But I more got the vibe that he was disgusted that it wasn't safely underwater.

EDIT: Man, to bring this more vaguely into the realm of G&T, uh, I've always been secretly curious about the Japanese robotoilets.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The more I think about it, the more I realize just how much water those things must waste.

Evander on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mother of god.

They can build great cars... but shit... literally.

What were they thinking???

powerss on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I think these toilets are pretty awfully designed. I've had to use one before.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zetetic, awesome avatar Marathon FTMFW

powerss on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is a much worse type of splash than the one you get while sitting on the toilet....urinal splash.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I've been splashed.

Bathing in urine and being able to see poop are apparently comparable?

Honestly, who in this thread was complaining about looking at poop?

The only mention I saw, AT ALL, was a guy talking about how he occassionally looks at his poop. Personally I generally take a quick glance, especially when I haven't been feeling well, just to make sure it isn't red or something (for the record, if your stool is magenta colored, it may not be a sign of sickness. magenta colored stool is also cause by heavy beet consumption.)

I think most people look at their own poop, at least occassionally.

So what particular machine are you raging against?

Evander on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Do you realize everytime someone-

YES! Three gallons! Three gallons! Whoopdy damn doo!

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    EDIT: Man, to bring this more vaguely into the realm of G&T, uh, I've always been secretly curious about the Japanese robotoilets.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan
    Wikipedia has an entire article on Japanese toilets.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Wireless_toilet_control_panel_w._open_lid.jpg
    As of 2002, almost half of all private homes in Japan have such a toilet, exceeding the number of households with a personal computer.[3][4] While the toilet looks like a Western-style toilet at first glance, there are a number of additional features, such as blow dryer, seat heating, massage options, water jet adjustments, automatic lid opening, flushing after use, wireless control panels, heating and air conditioning for the room, et cetera, included either as part of the toilet or in the seat.[2] These features can be accessed by a control panel that is either attached to one side of the seat or on a wall nearby, often transmitting the commands wirelessly to the toilet seat.[2]
    I want one. I spend enough time on the toilet thanks to me not wanting to get up while playing the DS on it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I take my poop seriously. I won't poop in a toilet with a shelf. That's just nastay.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if this was said already, but those toilets are old and are being phased out (if they aren't already). They were only created and used during the war when they encourages people to check their feces to see if they have any diseases.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wonder if there were any patriotic videos made encouraging people to check their poop for their country.

Couscous on
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With little flags and everything.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I wonder if there were any patriotic videos made encouraging people to check their poop for their country.

In a slump? Check your dump!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I'd actually rather shit on a shelf than run the risk of splashback.

japan on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, I didn't even think about liquid poop.

Something doesn't add up here.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png