Options

Radiation leak at Tokyo Electric Power Co after earthquake

bigtimeslackerbigtimeslacker Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
But while TEPCO had initially said that the lethal earthquake had not caused any leaks, it revealed later on Monday night that 1,200 liters of radioactive water had sloshed into the sea from its Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant in Niigata.

Also on Tuesday, the company admitted that a small amount of radioactive materials -- cobalt-60, iodine and chromium-51 -- had been emitted into the atmosphere.

I guess there have been problems in the past about cover ups about this sort of thing and saying nothing was leaking and then changing the story doesn't look really good. It makes me wonder how bad it really is over there.

Which way do the winds and currents go? What countries could be effected if this is worse then they claim?

tl;dr: omg radiation! is my weiner going to fall off?

pa_sig.jpg
bigtimeslacker on

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure that the US has had plenty of cover-ups like this.

As for currents, the Pacific Ocean splits off in many directions and goes all over the place, it's kind of difficult to guess where the water might go. My guess would be the Phillipines and that area.

I think the jet stream will carry the gases over to the US.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This just in; Giant mutated shark rapes 50 year old man off Mojave beach.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was watching a show called Bullshit on Showtime. They where talking about recycling and resources and they said Radioactive Plants are overall cleaner and more efficient then any other power plants. The reason they are not popular is because of environmentalist. But I see this, and wonder if these powerplants something happen to them its worse than others. Sometimes its hard to know whats really green and not because the information is preferential than honest.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am pretty worried that this is going to mean another five years before the acceptance of nuclear.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    I was watching a show called Bullshit on Showtime. They where talking about recycling and resources and they said Radioactive Plants are overall cleaner and more efficient then any other power plants. The reason they are not popular is because of environmentalist. But I see this, and wonder if these powerplants something happen to them its worse than others. Sometimes its hard to know whats really green and not because the information is preferential than honest.

This thread should help explain why getting your "facts" from a couple of people who make a living out of deception might not be the best of ideas.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    I am pretty worried that this is going to mean another five years before the acceptance of nuclear.

When something like this happens you think it's bad it will delay the acceptance of nuclear power?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes I do. Don't you?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

This thread should help explain why getting your "facts" from a couple of people who make a living out of deception might not be the best of ideas.

Thats why I said to get facts about anything is not longer unbiased but favored to someone. I am not saying I agree with the show but made me realize that the environmentalist and Industrial Energy Companies distort the information too much that its hard to know whats the facts, not opinion or someones own views.
    (Sorry, I have hard time writing, probably made you understand something else.)

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes I do. Don't you?

No, I think it's a excellent opportunity to take a step back and ask if nuclear power is really as safe and secure as it should be.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This following from the well-documented fact that fossil fuel power generation's only byproducts are puppies and candy.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Yes I do. Don't you?

No, I think it's a excellent opportunity to take a step back and ask if nuclear power is really as safe and secure as it should be.

If you knew anything about modern nuclear plant design then you would know they are perfectly safe.

geckahn on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes I do. Don't you?

Earthquakes can also damage sewer systems and cause excrement to contaminate drinking water.

bongi on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    geckahn wrote: »
    Yes I do. Don't you?

If you knew anything about modern nuclear plant design then you would know they are perfectly safe.
    Except for the fact that most all of the materials involved are deadly to humans.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes I do. Don't you?

Except for the fact that most all of the materials involved are deadly to humans.

But isnt any other source of energy the same, coal bad for your lungs. HydroPower Plants, only bad thing I see is an earthquake breaks them causing a flood of water. I vote to get hamster run those mouse wheels to meet the needs of the world electricity. Environmentally safe, clean and cute (I wonder who can guess where I got this from)

Horus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes, coal does cause many health and environmental problems, which is why I personally oppose it as well as nuclear. Hydro power plants are susceptible to earthquakes, but so are dams and as this incident shows, nuclear power plants. The difference is that nuclear and coal power create long term health and environmental effects, and are much more prone to disaster. If an earthquake hits a hydro power plant, the worst possible result would be flooding of a nearby town. If an earthquake hits a nuclear power plant, it's very likely that radioactive materials will leak out into the environment, possibly contaminating areas hundreds of miles away, causing widespread and longterm damage.

P10 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Yes I do. Don't you?

Totally.

bbiab, I'm going to go make myself a petroleum latte.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    If an earthquake hits a nuclear power plant, it's very likely that radioactive materials will leak out into the environment, possibly contaminating areas hundreds of miles away, causing widespread and longterm damage.

It's actually not very likely at all. Even in this case, in which a very strong earthquake struck a powerplant that hadn't been designed to withstand quakes of that power, the effects were that a small amount of water contaminated with trace amounts of radioactive crap spilled into the sea, and a little bit of radioactive gas seeped into the atmosphere. Current assessments are that neither of these things pose any real threat to the environment.

Contrast this with, say, the Exxon-Valdez clusterfuck. I'm going to side with nuclear, here.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You got a point there, major radio Active materials are more dangerous at a greater radius. I wonder how bad is the damage in Japan, will it cause mass cancer/mutation problem like in Chernobyl, but the amount of radioactive release is significantly less?

Horus on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wind power FTW. SD is seriously looking into wind power. One report on KEVN news said SD could provide 80% of the electricty demands of SD, ND, NE , and WY through wind power. Not bad.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, coal does cause many health and environmental problems, which is why I personally oppose it as well as nuclear. Hydro power plants are susceptible to earthquakes, but so are dams and as this incident shows, nuclear power plants. The difference is that nuclear and coal power create long term health and environmental effects, and are much more prone to disaster. If an earthquake hits a hydro power plant, the worst possible result would be flooding of a nearby town. If an earthquake hits a nuclear power plant, it's very likely that radioactive materials will leak out into the environment, possibly contaminating areas hundreds of miles away, causing widespread and longterm damage.

Right because massive floods are very very minor events that definitely don't deal long-lasting damage.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Here's an actual link to an article, btw.
    The company said it was examining how the tainted water got out, but said the levels of radioactivity were too low to endanger humans or the environment.

I also like this one:
    Three years ago, Japan's deadliest nuclear accident killed four workers at a nuclear plant when a steam pipe burst.

The deadliest accident at a nuke plant in Japan in history involved a burst steam pipe and killed four people. That's not exactly terrifying.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Here's an actual link to an article, btw.
    The company said it was examining how the tainted water got out, but said the levels of radioactivity were too low to endanger humans or the environment.

I also like this one:
    Three years ago, Japan's deadliest nuclear accident killed four workers at a nuclear plant when a steam pipe burst.

The deadliest accident at a nuke plant in Japan in history involved a burst steam pipe and killed four people. That's not exactly terrifying.

Wasn't there a criticality event at a Japanese nuclear power-plant not so long ago?

Edit: Just a minor one, IIRC, before everyone starts getting excited.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

So consistently daming a river (to the point where some of them no longer reach the sea) and flooding vast stretches of land has no environmental impact on the areas micro-climate? Huh.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What's terrifying is when a large scale disaster occurs, such as Chernobyl, which causes an increased rate of such fun things as leukemia and cancer over a large area and over a long period of time.

/edit: And, to clarify, I'm not trying to say that we should get rid of all nuclear power. I'm just trying to say that because of the risk involved in nuclear power, it should not be the 'magic bullet' that most people are seeking for our energy crisis.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What's terrifying is when a large scale disaster occurs, such as Chernobyl, which causes an increased rate of such fun things as leukemia and cancer over a large area and over a long period of time.

/edit: And, to clarify, I'm not trying to say that we should get rid of all nuclear power. I'm just trying to say that because of the risk involved in nuclear power, it should not be the 'magic bullet' that most people are seeking for our energy crisis.

Yeah, there have been a couple changes in nuclear power plant design in the last 30 years. France gets almost all of its power from nuclear, and yet they haven't all turned into canceritic mutants.

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the main cause of Chernobyl was control rod designs that are no longer used. The only real issue with nuclear power is that we've never closed the loop on the radioactive disposal

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dr_ColossusDr_Colossus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's worth pointing out that coal burning power plants release more radioactive material per day then your typical nuclear power plant. This is due to thorium and uranium found in coal.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html

When you take into account the number and size of accidents at modern nuclear plants, I don't think you can possibly argue that they release more radiation then coal.

Dr_Colossus on
    sword.gifblack.gifcliff.gifblah3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, there have been a couple changes in nuclear power plant design in the last 30 years. France gets almost all of its power from nuclear, and yet they haven't all turned into canceritic mutants.

In fact, the Chernobyl reactors were already dangerously outdated at the time they were constructed.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, but their unhealthy infatuation with runny cheese can't be natural.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But isnt any other source of energy the same, coal bad for your lungs.

Burning coal also throws up literally tons of uranium, thorium and mercury. Heavy metals and radioactives vaporized for breathing pleasure. Yum.
    HydroPower Plants, only bad thing I see is an earthquake breaks them causing a flood of water.

Plus the fact that we've pretty much tapped out all available hydro sources and it doesn't come close to filling our energy needs. I'm all for the use and development of solar, wind, tidal, geo, etc, but unfortunately all of them together can't presently fill our hunger for more energy. In addition there are hidden costs associated with some of them. For example, the production of solar cells isn't exactly clean. There was also the unforeseen problem with birds and wind turbines.

In spite of the problems it has, nuclear is currently our best option out of a bunch of bad choices for large scale power generation. At least with nuclear we have a very clear idea of what the risks are and how to mitigate them.

ihopius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You might draw a connection to the way the development of nuclear weapons has resulted in less war. Everyone is scared shitless of what might go wrong, so we're extra careful, so nuclear power, despite being potentially the most dangerous, is in fact the safest option.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ihopius wrote: »
    Plus the fact that we've pretty much tapped out all available hydro sources and it doesn't come close to filling our energy needs. I'm all for the use and development of solar, wind, tidal, geo, etc, but unfortunately all of them together can't presently fill our hunger for more energy.

Well, a good chunk of that has to do with our incredibly inefficiencies in a variety of things that exist for no other reason than it's easier that way.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Plus the fact that we've pretty much tapped out all available hydro sources and it doesn't come close to filling our energy needs. I'm all for the use and development of solar, wind, tidal, geo, etc, but unfortunately all of them together can't presently fill our hunger for more energy.

Well, a good chunk of that has to do with our incredibly inefficiencies in a variety of things that exist for no other reason than it's easier that way.

I agree with you there. I'm appalled by the amount of electricity that is wasted in the current distribution grid. It could be upgraded to significantly improve it's efficiency. However, that would be expensive so no one wants to do it.

To address your point above, I don't think there is a magic bullet when it comes to filling our energy needs. All of our options kinda suck. Nuclear just sucks somewhat less that the things it would replace. It also has the advantage of being able to fill our energy needs for the next 200 years or so. More if you can convince the public that a full-fuel cycle is an acceptable risk.

Should we continue to research and develop alternative energy sources and improve the efficiency of our current systems? Absolutely. But we also have to deal with the reality of what we have now and where energy demand is going in the future. Baring a unforeseen breakthrough (fusion, I'm looking at you), that reality is a choice between nuclear and coal.

ihopius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This following from the well-documented fact that fossil fuel power generation's only byproducts are puppies and candy.

I never said anything about fossil fuels.

Yes I do. Don't you?

Nothing is perfectly safe, as evidenced by what just happened in Japan. Shit happens but I'd rather my solar array break down or my windmill fall over than leak radioactive material.

tofu on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nothing is perfectly safe, as evidenced by what just happened in Japan. Shit happens but I'd rather my solar array break down or my windmill fall over than leak radioactive material.

True, but even this reactor was so safe that it was hit by a major earthquake and only leaked minimal and non-threatening amounts of radioactive materials into the environment. Nuclear power really is pretty awesome, and the kinds of reactors they can build these days (and the kinds coming down the pipeline) are extraordinarily safe.

I'm not saying don't go with solar/wind/hydro/whatever where you can, but these sources aren't going to meet all of our energy requirements. We need to supplement with nuclear.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Brian888 wrote: »

True, but even this reactor was so safe that it was hit by a major earthquake and only leaked minimal and non-threatening amounts of radioactive materials into the environment. Nuclear power really is pretty awesome, and the kinds of reactors they can build these days (and the kinds coming down the pipeline) are extraordinarily safe.

I'm not saying don't go with solar/wind/hydro/whatever where you can, but these sources aren't going to meet all of our energy requirements. We need to supplement with nuclear.

I agree, at least right now renewable can't meat the demands of the entire world and it should work in conjunction with nuclear power but there is no catch all for the world's energy supply. Wind power would be fantastic for powering the midwest US but not so in urban settings, in areas that are earthquake (and other natural disasters) prone nuclear may not be the best option.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I agree, at least right now renewable can't meat the demands of the entire world and it should work in conjunction with nuclear power but there is no catch all for the world's energy supply. Wind power would be fantastic for powering the midwest US but not so in urban settings, in areas that are earthquake (and other natural disasters) prone nuclear may not be the best option.

Earthquakes occur along fault lines, and we generally know where those are. It's not hard to build plants in areas that are kinda-sorta far from fault lines and then just pipe the power on over. At least, not in a geographically huge region like the US. Japan is small, so they can really only get so far from the fault lines before their nuke plants are, like, in the ocean.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Alright, heres the deal with nuclear plants. Theyre usually really old because theyre good for like 40 years and are super expensive to build.

So, when I say modern I mean modern technology. China is making a bunch of mini reactors now for use in rural china - they have tried to literally cause meltdown in them hundreds of time, but they never melt down. Pebble bed reactors are in fact the shit.

And as far as an earthquake happening and cracking a plant, this is like the first time ive ever heard of it happening, and it didnt really do anything. So its a null point. And what jeff just said.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You got a point there, major radio Active materials are more dangerous at a greater radius. I wonder how bad is the damage in Japan, will it cause mass cancer/mutation problem like in Chernobyl, but the amount of radioactive release is significantly less?

Actually, the wildlife around Chernobyl is doing surprisingly well. There may be a higher rate of mutation and cancer, but the critters seem to be living long enough to breed. In other words, they are adapting.

For humans, it's not so good. Radiation levels are still high enough that spending too much time there is a pretty bad idea. Since not many want to go there, the accident turned the area around the reactor into an unintended nature preserve.

Actually you reminded me of something that Russian scientists found in the reactor area itself. There is a lichen growing there that uses ionizing radiation as a power source rather than sunlight. It literally eats radiation.

Cool as hell.

ihopius on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually you reminded me of something that Russian scientists found in the reactor area itself. There is a lichen growing there that uses ionizing radiation as a power source rather than sunlight. It literally eats radiation.

Cool as hell.

What kind of ionising radiation? It would make for pretty cool radiation shielding if it also was adapted to absorb the particles.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg