As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding very long IEEE 1394-compliant cables

ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
All right, H/A, I need you to help me find something. I'm looking for an IEEE 1394-compliant cable, 6-pin to 6-pin, that is between 30 and 35 feet long. It needs to be at least 30 to fit between the devices, but the Audiowire spec we're working with doesn't allow runs over 35ft. I'm having trouble finding anything that's not either a 15 foot Firewire cable or a 36 foot IEEE 1394 network cable, and it can't be either of those sizes.

Anyone know where I can get something like this?

Zifnab on

• Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Remember that once you go over 15 ft (4.5 meters), you're past the standard firewire cable length. You'll notice that the page Legoman05 points you to specifically says transfer rates of 200 Mbps, rather than the standard 400.
    Just a warning. You might have already known this if you're asking for that kind of distance, but this is why it's hard to find anything longer than 15 feet.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, yeah, but we're not working with actual Firewire transfers anyhow. It's a proprietary protocol made by MOTU called Audiowire that uses the Firewire cable, but that's about it. We bought a MOTU interface that is specifically designed for runs up to (but not exceeding) 35ft because we need it to be that long, so it'd better be able to work properly over those distances.

BTW, thanks a lot, Legoman. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Little pricier than I expected, but I guess you have to deal with that sometimes..

Zifnab on
  • Options
    slackersupremeslackersupreme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Might take a look at newegg.com; they seemed to have a large assortment of cables last I checked.

EDIT: Hell, guess they don't have anything that long.

slackersupreme on