As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember Fighting Fantasy?

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
No? Me neither. But this guy has released them for free on his web site. So, just what is Fighting Fantasy?
For the benefit of those who've never heard of them, Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks would consist of around 400 short numbered passages of text. Typically they would tell a Tolkein-like story, but the reader / player would be given options as to how they wanted the story to develop. This involved presenting a choice of numbered passages to read next.

There were also other rules, generally to do with rolling dice at appropriate moments: to determine the outcomes of fights, or the performance of difficult physical feats.

As a kid, I read several Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks. Many years later, while teaching myself CGI programming, I remembered them and felt that Fighting Fantasy would make an interesting subject to practice on. As a programming exercise, I wrote the software featured on this website.

The idea is that the software should be able to drive any Fighting Fantasy Gamebook, so long as the rules don't deviate too far from the basic system. It's just a question of adapting the books into the correct format. I have done this with several amateur gamebooks, this website is the result.

You're not going to find top-notch literature here, but you will find something along the lines of 'Choose-Your-Own Adventure' meets Dungeons and Dragons. I've only played Hellfire thus far, and it's pretty difficult.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    fantastic

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    italics mean sarcasm

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a fun distraction

Come on, didn't you like things like this as a kid

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you enjoy this thread, go to page 2.

Otherwise, die in a fire on page 13.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I read all the Lone Wolf books as a youngin.

And the time travel ones.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a fun distraction

1 Cor. XIII. 11

RocketScience on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    as in lone wolf and cub

that would be something

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My daughter has many sisters, as many sisters as she has brothers. However each of her brothers has twice as many sisters as brothers, so answer me this wise warrior.... how many children do I have?

once you have the answer, turn to that page to continue

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Air wrote: »
    as in lone wolf and cub

that would be something

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_%28gamebooks%29

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No? Me neither. But this guy has released them for free on his web site. So, just what is Fighting Fantasy?
    For the benefit of those who've never heard of them, Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks would consist of around 400 short numbered passages of text. Typically they would tell a Tolkein-like story, but the reader / player would be given options as to how they wanted the story to develop. This involved presenting a choice of numbered passages to read next.

There were also other rules, generally to do with rolling dice at appropriate moments: to determine the outcomes of fights, or the performance of difficult physical feats.

As a kid, I read several Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks. Many years later, while teaching myself CGI programming, I remembered them and felt that Fighting Fantasy would make an interesting subject to practice on. As a programming exercise, I wrote the software featured on this website.

The idea is that the software should be able to drive any Fighting Fantasy Gamebook, so long as the rules don't deviate too far from the basic system. It's just a question of adapting the books into the correct format. I have done this with several amateur gamebooks, this website is the result.

You're not going to find top-notch literature here, but you will find something along the lines of 'Choose-Your-Own Adventure' meets Dungeons and Dragons. I've only played Hellfire thus far, and it's pretty difficult.

Fighting fantasy was founded by steve jackson. Who also founded Games workshop.

Fun fact of the day.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i bet nobody else played the emerald enchanter and scarlet sorcerer books

it was like a map-based rpg book that also had a good chunk of pages devoted to a multiplayer dogfighting simulation

good times

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I once had a Super Mario Bros. choose your own adventure book.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »

Fighting fantasy was founded by steve jackson. Who also founded Games workshop.

Fun fact of the day.

But it's a different Steve Jackson who founded Steve Jackson Games and invented Car Wars.

I loved these books as a kid - they are the main thing that taught me to love reading and literature. They weren't high class, sure, but I loved the crap out of them.

I still have Robot Commando and Creature of Havoc on my bookshelf to this day, as well as a load of Lone Wolf books, and an omnibus of the surprisingly good novelization by John Grant.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »

I had this and the Zelda choose your own adventures. They were kinda lame, because you know, you could just play the NES games and skip the boring reading part.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    You miss-timed the jump and landed on the front of a Goomba. If you are Super Mario you lose that status and revert to Mario. If you had a fire flower you lose it and return to Super Mario. If you are regular Mario you are dead.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    SpongeCake wrote: »

I had this and the Zelda choose your own adventures. They were kinda lame, because you know, you could just play the NES games and skip the boring reading part.

I can only vaguely remember seeing the book and thinking OH MY GOD this is going to be the best thing ever. I'm not sure what happened after that.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a fun distraction

Even as a pre-teen I thought the choose-your-own-adventure books were really idiotic. That wasn't just an opinion of the concept, I actually read through a couple and then decided they were a complete waste of time.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    It's a fun distraction

Even as a pre-teen I thought the choose-your-own-adventure books were really idiotic. That wasn't just an opinion of the concept, I actually read through a couple and then decided they were a complete waste of time.
    They've been around that long?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to read a different version of choose-your-own-adventure called Time Machine. They were pretty cool. I remember really liking the one about the French revolution.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    It's a fun distraction

y

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a fun distraction

y

The original choose your own adventure books were frequently very poorly written. FF and Lone Wolf on the other hand were generally pretty good and the RPG rulesets made them more fun. But different strokes for different blokes.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DarkHawke wrote: »
    It's a fun distraction

y

The original choose your own adventure books were frequently very poorly written. FF and Lone Wolf on the other hand were generally pretty good and the RPG rulesets made them more fun. But different strokes for different blokes.
    No matter how you dress it up, the central concept is fundamentally flawed and seems targeted at kids with short attention spans.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    druihim was born before the alphabet

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Back then we really had to think about what the author was trying to say.
    "Are those squiggly lines supposed to be flowing water or the symbol for a microwave oven?"

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "Are those squiggly lines supposed to be flowing water or the symbol for a microwave oven?"

"If you wish to reject the sexual advances of the goddess Ishtar, turn to tablet 45.
    If you want a piece of that hot fertility goddess arse, turn to tablet 132."

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DarkHawke wrote: »

"If you wish to reject the sexual advances of the goddess Ishtar, turn to tablet 45.
    If you want a piece of that hot fertility goddess arse, turn to tablet 132.
    If you want to be sacrificed to ensure a fruitful harvest, turn to tablet 83"

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg