As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starting Something New

friedeggfriedegg Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys,

I draw a webcomic called Dr Sheep and the Aardvark which began in 1999 and has been slowly developing ever since. It gets a modest amount of traffic, a couple of thousand unique visitors a month, so my dreams of full-time cartooning are a long way off! The trouble is, it is a very minimalist strip (rarely featuring backgrounds or new characters) and I find that I spend so much time drawing the sheep and aardvark, that I can't really develop much as an artist. I'm reluctant to start doing weird experimental strips in case I alienate the readers I have secured so far.

So, I've been thinking of putting together a new weekly webcomic, in a single panel style, which would allow me to experiment with radically different drawings each week. However before I begin, I wondered if I could get some feedback on my character's design. I'd especially appreciate some feedback on her shading, as I think there's something I'm not quite getting right. I've never had any art lessons, so any tips from you guys would be much appreciated.
artwork.gif

Many thanks. You have a kind face.

friedegg on

• Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is so on the verge of sitewhoring. Post more of the art here, not a link. We don't like links which you will notice if you read the various locked threads on the front page.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't have any more artwork ready just now. I thought it would be best to get feedback first. However, I have removed the link to my site now. It wasn't my intention to sitewhore.

friedegg on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well in that case, welcome. And well done for reacting maturely, it's a rare thing on this forum from those that post webcomics!

If you are really interesting in developing as an artist, then doing another comic is not the way to go. Spend some time studying real drawing, anatomy, form, lighting, etc etc and it will have a far greater beneficial impact on your art than a new strip, however experimental.

As for the character the face is really weird (is she supposed to be a pig?), the costume is uninteresting, and the pose is totally screwed ...

Lly on
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The shading is off because you have no definite lightsource, you just darkened the bottom edges of everything. Also, her boobs are pointing almost straight to the side, her hips are pointing straight toward the viewer, and the rest is sort of angled away, so she just looks strangely contorted to me. Welcome. =)

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The shading doesn't contour to her body at all. Also Big Luke Nasty is right, the anatomy of her chest is messed up, even for a cartoon. If you go for something a little more realistic you'll have an easier time telling if your drawings are off or not, it will also push your skills further as an artist.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. I do see what you mean about her having a very contorted stance. I hadn't spotted it before and now that you've pointed it out, I can only see her in a 'bustin for a pee' position! How strange is that?

I hadn't really given much thought to trying 'proper' art. I was never very good at it at school, but I suspect you're right. I'll keep an eye out for classes running near me.

I must confess the 'shading the bottom half of everything' approach was my attempt at assuming the light was directly above her, but you're right. I have no understanding of how light actually works. Again, perhaps an art class or something might be the way forward.

Thanks guys. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

friedegg on