As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Doing Research Paper for MMORPG

thevagrauntthevagraunt Registered User new member
edited July 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Hey guys. I'm an undergraduate at UC Santa Barbara and I'm doing a report on socialization in gaming and the virtual space for my Writ. 109SS class. I was wondering if you guys would be so kind as to fill out a short survey for me? It's only twenty questions and I won't be asking you for your personal information or anything. I just need data to corroborate/substantiate my report and to draw additional information from. Also, if you can inform your friends/guildmates of this survey and ask them to take it too that'd be great as well. I have one more week to collect data before I have to compile everything for my research.

And so without further ado, here's the survey:

Online Gaming Survey
This survey is completely anonymous. Your information will not be given to any third-party, and will only be used to aid in the research of social groups within the world of online role playing games. Your screen name and any other pen name you use during the completion of this survey will not be stored on any database. No personal information will be stored by me, nor will any of this information be used for any other purpose strictly besides use in the research study.
Please answer by selecting the choice that accurately describes you or your habits and typing that on the underline next to the question. Or you can answer by using the highlight function in MSWord (located on the top right of the toolbar).

Firstly, what MMORPG do you play?

1. On average, how many hours per week do you spend playing this game?
a) 0-5 hours
b) 5-10 hours
c) 10-15 hours
d) 15+ hours

2. How long have you been playing this game?
a) 0-6 months
b) 6-12 months
c) Over a year
d) Over two years

3. Do you play this game with your friends?
a) Yes
b) No

4. Are you in a guild or something similar?
a) Yes
b) No

5. Do you believe guilds or communities enhance the game play experience?
a) Yes
b) No

6. Do you have friends in the game who you have not met in person?
a) Yes
b) No

7. Have you met anyone in person that you didn’t know before through this game?
a) Yes
b) No

8. How would you rate your friendship with the people you play with?
a) Somewhat close friends
b) Close friends
c) Very close friends
d) I play alone

9. Would you say you have learned life lessons from playing this game?
a) Yes
b) No

10. Has this game taught you anything about yourself?
c) Yes
a) No

11. Would you play this game as often if there was no way to form parties with other people?
a) Yes
b) No

12. Do you build a strong attachment to your characters?
a) Yes
b) No

13. When confronted with a choice, do you base your decision on what you would do, or what your character would do?
a) I make my decisions based on what I would do
b) I make my decisions based on what my character would do

14. There are several reasons why people play MMORPG’s. Please rank the following choices from 1-4, with 4 being the most compelling reason why you play MMORPG’s.
a) ____ To develop my character
b) ____ To go on adventures with friends
c) ____ To experience the story
d) ____ To role play

15. Have you ever created a character that was of the opposite sex?
a) Yes
b) No

16. If you grew up playing videogames, do you think that constantly being the “hero” of the story had an effect on your morals?
a) Yes
b) No

17. Do you think videogames can be used as a tool to educate others?
a) Yes
b) No

18. Have you ever created a character that was of the opposite sex?
a) Yes
b) No

19. Do you think the ability to create custom characters is vital to the experience and longevity of the game?
a) Yes
b) No

20. Your character is the way you interact with the game world. From the two choices below, please select the one that makes the most sense to you.
a) I create my character in the way I’d personally like to be in the game world
b) I create my character to fill a certain demand (as in for a party)

thevagraunt on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    You already posted this.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.