Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Introduceing Bryan King

NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Greetings and salutations. I have been reading Penny Arcade almost from day one. I have decided that I should join the forums so I can add my 2 cents and also get feedback on my projects. I will be posting critiques and it seems unfair to give advise without getting my "Street cred" first so I will drop a page from my comic on ya.
Later my friends.
070716.jpg

NeoKing on
«134

Posts

  • 117Lei117Lei Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, actually, its pretty good.

    It earns +20 cool points for not being a comic about two guys and video games.

    You are teetering on the edge of sitewhoring however.

    117Lei on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Read the rules first, before you do anything else. Hit the back button, go to the rules on the top of the forum then read it.

    What your doing right now is sitewhoring. Don't just post a link to your website, if you truly want feedback on something post the images directly into your post, put your comic link in your signature if you have to.

    I don't believe you need "street cred" to give feedback, get involved with the community by posting a lot, and if your link is in your sig you'll get more visitors then being like every other idiot who says HERES A LINK TO MAI COMIC then gets their thread locked.

    Edit: Ok, when I looked at your thread again an image popped up, It doesn't look like you edited your post so for some reason I just didn't see that image the first time. It's still borderline site whoring though, I would take the link out of your post and maybe put it in your signature if you have to.

    That being said, I do like it, the coloring seems a little dull, particularly the backgrounds. The size of the spear thing looks like it changes, it looks something like a javelin when it is in the Orcs hand but when in the guys leg it looks more like a thick arrow, I'm also not sure on the chunk sound effect.

    Try to fix your post so your not site whoring and post around in the forum more, but I hope to see some more stuff from you.

    JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry that this comes off as borderline but I hate when people review my art and I have no idea what they are capable of. I dropped the pic in so no one would feel the need to jump to my website. I did read the rules first and read a handful of post and thought I was within the rules, but if and amin ask me to drop the link I would be more than happy to.
    Later my friends.

    On second thought I'm going to edit it now. I have no intentions of even borderlineing a rule.

    NeoKing on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    The first thing you should realize is that even if someone here can't draw the most photorealistic damn apple you've ever seen doesn't mean their opinion or critique is invalid. They are, after all, your audiance.

    I know fuck all about making CGI in movies, but I can certainly point out a lot of reasons why I, as the viewer, can see where it goes wrong.

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't design a car to save my life but I often say "I hate this curve here" or "I don't like the head lights". Does it make my opinions less valuable because I can't design a better car?

    This kind of critique will always be present if you design something for an audience, you can't just cut out non-designers and non-artists. Be willing to listen to everyone, you never know who might give you your next life changing critique.

    MagicToaster on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Ha! You said that so much more eloquently than I tried, thanks MT

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Kinda sounds like you are setting yourself up to write off people's critiques if you don't think they are up to a certain standard.

    Kinda wish i could see the art though. Put it back!

    Lly on
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    The first thing you should realize is that even if someone here can't draw the most photorealistic damn apple you've ever seen doesn't mean their opinion or critique is invalid. They are, after all, your audiance.

    I know fuck all about making CGI in movies, but I can certainly point out a lot of reasons why I, as the viewer, can see where it goes wrong.

    This is true Mr. Elliotto and I do welcome everyones opinion. That being said if a person of great ability in Maya or Lightwave I would assume you would view their opinion in a different light. The average persons opinion is valid in the way that they can tell you what content is working or notice content problems, but an experienced artist can give you greater insight. If you really do know %*^& all about cgi and I had seen some of your work I would take any comment you made about panel flow and composition to heart. That being said your understanding of line weight http://paintingdrawing.suite101.com/article.cfm/comic_inking_demomay not be as respected. ANYBODY can draw a photo realistic apple, with enough practice. Valuing opinions of people whom have put the time into learning how to draw is common sense. Another argument would be that art is completely subjective and cannot be truly judged. This is absurd and held by many people that have no art training. There are common traits threw out both history and cultures that ring true. That is because good art has some basic foundations. Take for instance the golden ratio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio it is a mathematical equation for beauty. One look at someones art can tell you if they have even an basic understanding of this. Found threw out time and cultures it can even be applied to humans. Or lets talk about color theory http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html
    Most people have a better understanding of this because it decides what we were or how we paint our house. The psychology and physiology of color is not as well understood. It takes a long time to learn and understand these. I could have someone submit a paper on color theory or I could look at some of their artwork. Personally I have taken my art studies very seriously. I have a Bachelors degree in fine art with an emphasis is graphics, a secondary in sculptor, and a minor in art history. In conclusion I agree with you on the fact that I need to listen to my readers. The none artist still has highly valued input. Unfortunately your apprehension to me wanting to know my critics abilities is, in my educated opinion is unfounded. I thank you kindly for your feedback.
    Bryan King

    NeoKing on
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited July 2007
    About your art. There is no discernable light source in any of the frames. You are rendering locally, as opposed to thinking about lighting of the whole scene.

    On the last post, you need to understand we don't give a shit how much "training" you have in art. Hell, StudioZEL (one of the people here) has a 3 year degree from SCAD and is still shite. You sound like you are far more confident of your ability than you should be. All the great artists, modern and in history, strive to improve in any way possible, they realise that they still have so much to learn even when they are at the top of the field. Your post sounds pretentious and arrogant, an attitude you will need to drop if you plan on sticking around here, or becoming a good artist.

    Sorry if that sounds harsh.

    Lly on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think its ridiculous to not value the opinions of people not educated in art but rather just listen to them on content issues as you said.

    For instance, I don't know much about color, I am trying to build up a better foundation using pencils before I even approach color. However as a comic reader I am telling you your coloring is boring to me. I understand you would value the suggestions of educated artists more, I'm not about to lecture you on color theory when I don't know much about it.

    I think as an artist you need to ask why your making your art, your comic I'm guessing you make to attain readership and maybe sell. People who read or buy your comic aren't going to be artists, if you don't give a shit about what they think then there not going to give a shit about your comic.

    Edit: looking at Lly's post I think thats exactly why I find your coloring boring is a lack of a discernible light source.

    JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Lly wrote: »
    About your art. There is no discernable light source in any of the frames. You are rendering locally, as opposed to thinking about lighting of the whole scene.

    On the last post, you need to understand we don't give a shit how much "training" you have in art. Hell, StudioZEL (one of the people here) has a 3 year degree from SCAD and is still shite. You sound like you are far more confident of your ability than you should be. All the great artists, modern and in history, strive to improve in any way possible, they realise that they still have so much to learn even when they are at the top of the field. Your post sounds pretentious and arrogant, an attitude you will need to drop if you plan on sticking around here, or becoming a good artist.

    Sorry if that sounds harsh.

    I thank you for supporting my original point. I would much rather see someones artwork than what his education is. BTW dont worry about being harsh. I did my internship with DC comic artist Steve Scott, great guy but man he was brutal.
    Thanks for the feedback

    NeoKing on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    King's problem is that he cannot separate the idea that someone with little art background is still helpful in pointing out errors versus someone with an art background that can point out the errors and offer some solutions on how to fix the issue.

    Let's use anatomy as an example: Not everyone may be able to articulate how to fix problems in foreshortening, or disproportions, but everyone here has a body (unless you're a head in a jar), and as such are used to seeing bodies every day. When there is an issue with anatonmy just about anyone will be able to point that out to you--and you shouldn't brush them off because they have little art back ground.

    However, I understand you would also like to be helped in fixing any errors pointed out, and there are plenty of cool cats here with the know how to do it, but the first step in fixing any error is being able to see it yourself--no matter who points it out.

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    JWashke wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous to not value the opinions of people not educated in art but rather just listen to them on content issues as you said.

    For instance, I don't know much about color, I am trying to build up a better foundation using pencils before I even approach color. However as a comic reader I am telling you your coloring is boring to me. I understand you would value the suggestions of educated artists more, I'm not about to lecture you on color theory when I don't know much about it.

    I think as an artist you need to ask why your making your art, your comic I'm guessing you make to attain readership and maybe sell. People who read or buy your comic aren't going to be artists, if you don't give a shit about what they think then there not going to give a shit about your comic.

    Edit: looking at Lly's post I think thats exactly why I find your coloring boring is a lack of a discernible light source.

    Who I wasn't aware I said I dont give a $#!^ about anyones opinion. In any case I do. Your concerns about my color are actually well founded. Its the one thing I am working on the most right now. I will sell the book eventually but it isn't a priority. I am creating it because I enjoy the world it takes place in. My video game work and art teaching job more than pay the bills. On the subject of color theory I am going to post a helpfull site. http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html
    Thanks for the feedback
    Bryan King

    NeoKing on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    The average persons opinion is valid in the way that they can tell you what content is working or notice content problems

    That's what I was referring to, that you don't care about anyone's opinion on the art if thier not an artist.

    JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    The first thing you should realize is that even if someone here can't draw the most photorealistic damn apple you've ever seen doesn't mean their opinion or critique is invalid. They are, after all, your audiance.

    I know fuck all about making CGI in movies, but I can certainly point out a lot of reasons why I, as the viewer, can see where it goes wrong.

    This is true Mr. Elliotto and I do welcome everyones opinion. That being said if a person of great ability in Maya or Lightwave I would assume you would view their opinion in a different light. The average persons opinion is valid in the way that they can tell you what content is working or notice content problems, but an experienced artist can give you greater insight. If you really do know %*^& all about cgi and I had seen some of your work I would take any comment you made about panel flow and composition to heart. That being said your understanding of line weight http://paintingdrawing.suite101.com/article.cfm/comic_inking_demomay not be as respected. ANYBODY can draw a photo realistic apple, with enough practice. Valuing opinions of people whom have put the time into learning how to draw is common sense. Another argument would be that art is completely subjective and cannot be truly judged. This is absurd and held by many people that have no art training. There are common traits threw out both history and cultures that ring true. That is because good art has some basic foundations. Take for instance the golden ratio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio it is a mathematical equation for beauty. One look at someones art can tell you if they have even an basic understanding of this. Found threw out time and cultures it can even be applied to humans. Or lets talk about color theory http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html
    Most people have a better understanding of this because it decides what we were or how we paint our house. The psychology and physiology of color is not as well understood. It takes a long time to learn and understand these. I could have someone submit a paper on color theory or I could look at some of their artwork. Personally I have taken my art studies very seriously. I have a Bachelors degree in fine art with an emphasis is graphics, a secondary in sculptor, and a minor in art history. In conclusion I agree with you on the fact that I need to listen to my readers. The none artist still has highly valued input. Unfortunately your apprehension to me wanting to know my critics abilities is, in my educated opinion is unfounded. I thank you kindly for your feedback.
    Bryan King

    And with all that education you still haven't learned how to write a coherent sentence, so you might want to tone down your argument just a little because you sound like a bloody retard.

    Your comic illustration looks like it has some decent sketch work going on, but it's muddied behind a bit of inconsistent inking and a lot of bad colouring. As has been pointed out your lighting is coming from all over the place, and this makes it difficult to focus on your panels. It's difficult to tell if the blue in the background panels is the sea or the sky, in half the frames it looks like they're standing next to the ocean, in the other half it looks like the sky has gone hideously wrong.

    The "flow" of your panels could use a little work as well. Only in the last two is it easy to see in what sequence the action is happening. The top left panel seems to be an orphan from the previous page, and if at all possible it should have stayed on that page, to leave room for the reader being able to see the harpoon being thrown. In the top right panel it's difficult to tell it's being cocked (and it has a sound effect as if it's been launched, although it's visually still in his hand) and in the panel after you're treated to a jarring perspective change - it's a close up of Robert's angle being speared, but in the previous panel his feet are obscured by the top of the building.


    EDIT: And come on man there's no 'e' in 'introducing'. Just staring at it is making me wince.

    Brolo on
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Heh, Unfortunately my education is lacking in the English department. I thank you for your input.

    NeoKing on
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    JWashke wrote: »
    NeoKing wrote: »
    The average persons opinion is valid in the way that they can tell you what content is working or notice content problems

    That's what I was referring to, that you don't care about anyone's opinion on the art if thier not an artist.

    It isn't that I don't care its that I like to take there abilities into account. Early in my art career I spent an hour being critiqued at a convention. Many thing didn't run true and were very questionable, including the fact that he said no professional artist used mechanical pens. Anyway knowing that most pros actually do I ask what he did in comics. He was the letterest. Now he may have had a lot to offer in other areas of comics but cross referencing what he had told with my friends that where pencils he was way off. I am entitled to my opinion. I prefer to know something about the abilities of people I chat with. I am sorry if you do not agree and I respect that. I would ask you not to twist my words though.

    NeoKing on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    How's this? I'm not going to show you even a goddamn hint of my artwork, but I will tell you that your coloring, composition and visual cues fall way short.

    For starters the whole thing reeks of over production. It has a cheesy digital feel to it.

    As it's already been pointed out, you have not real light source. Because of this lack of a light source, your colors are far too saturated and for a scene such as that, I'd say you are using too many local colors and not taking into account how the lighting and atmosphere of the scene would really color your players. Rolo is right, I thought they were standing next to the ocean, but I guess that's the sky? Where is the sun? What time of day is it? How would the time of day affect the lighting outdoors in a grassy knoll? How would those colors then apply to the local colors of skin; grass; wood; dirt; clothes; shadow. How could you take all of this into consideration and tweak and adjust the colors in order to form a more cohesive focal point in not only each panel but the over all page as well?

    The lack of a cohesive coloring scheme leaves each panel without a real clear focal point, leaving the eye to wander, get exhausted and ultimately just not care and gloss over most panels. I don't know who Robert is, but if the second panel had slightly better composition (clearer line of sight--more diaginals leading the eye back) you could approach the main points (Big fucker in front, Robert in back) with lighter values while keeping the secondary points (other blokes in panel, carriage, sky, foliage) in fuzzier, darker values to create a sense of "This dude is being targeted--TENSION!"

    As it stands, I just have no reason to feel threatened by a pack of ManBearPigs because there is no visual tension.

    And that's just coloring (and a spot of composition). For comics, a general rule is that every major action is represented somehow. Instead you jump from Man standing--Leg Stabbed--Man on ground. Where is the visual representation of the fucking agony a spear that size would do to a man's leg, and the proceeding clump of man falling to the ground in pain, violently yanked away?

    The fourth panel has so many actions happening at once that the whole damn scene just feels fucking awkward. The last panel strikes me as something you'd want to spend more time focusing on the fact old boy was just drug off by ManBearPig. Instead, you've got ManBearPig in the forground, yet all of the action of this panel takes place in the way background--to the point everyone back there are poorly and underrepresented. It's like I feel I have to squint in order to catch any of the drama unfolding back there.

    Instead, the scene with Robert being drug away should have more of a sense of panic to it and should *definitely* be the focal point of its own. Keep those players in their own panel to progress the drama in that moment (hands barely clasping, fingernail trails in the dirt, *anything*), then in the next panel show ManBearPig as he is now only with more of a visual que around him--make the foliage thicker on the borders of the panel, put Robert dynamically bouncing along close behind ManBearPig and the rest of the party in the far distance. Do that and you can remove the line "Let's go Boys we've caught us a big one" altogether because the audiance *sees* that.

    :|

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Some crits even from professional artists, are full of shit. It's up to you to decide what's valid and rings true, and what's total bullshit. Some ego-heads will crit you to death even if they have no idea what they're talking about, but take what your potential audience says a little more seriously. As a major in architecture we generally get artists in all fields to crit our work, and a lot of the time there'll be a load of bullshit being shot at your work by people that don't have a clue. It's up to you to decide what criticism is helpful and what's useless, but don't assume that just because the person that's giving you criticism has little or no background in art that it's automatically useless. Something useful can be taken out of anyone's perspective - just be glad they're willing to give it to you.

    bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Thank you for your detailed critique Mr Elliotto. I will take it under the appropriate consideration.

    NeoKing on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    070323.gif



    070409.jpg



    070514.jpg


    Leafed through what you have up so far and pulled/re-hosted a few:

    Yeah man, you've got some serious Rob Liefeld going on in your comics. Aside from the writing (which is too broad a topic to go into here), there are some real flaws in the anatomy, perspective, inking, illustration and colouring of what you're doing.

    It looks like you draw your backgrounds and environments in after you've drawn your characters on the page. In about half the panels there's just that sea/sky soup thing, and the ones that do have a background have them rendered so they completely ignore both light sources and perspective. This makes the characters look like they're floating, and background elements (like in the bottom of page 2) become completely flat.

    Your anatomy itself falls in the "heroes have round muscles lumped everywhere" school of anatomy drawing. These people have muscles coming out of places that don't make any sense, and because of that they're horribly inconsistent between panels. To have a guy look "powerful" you can't just add curved lines to him, they have to conform to some kind of human anatomy.

    Again the lighting and colouring on this stuff is just... strange. What method are you using to colour these? Are you using photoshop or something similar? Lighting is just coming from all over, it's impossible to figure out from where though. Things that should be blocked out by shadow have highlights on them, and every muscle on every single person gets a shine on it, regardless of where it is on their body.

    Finally, your colours seem to be completely independent of your inks, since your inks give no direction of where the light is coming from. A good rule of thumb is that even without colouring, you should be able to look at the inks on the page and tell where the light is coming from. Jae Lee is really great with this kind of stuff, and really shows a lot of thought about how he approaches these kind of inks.

    Brolo on
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Some crits even from professional artists, are full of shit. It's up to you to decide what's valid and rings true, and what's total bullshit. Some ego-heads will crit you to death even if they have no idea what they're talking about, but take what your potential audience says a little more seriously. As a major in architecture we generally get artists in all fields to crit our work, and a lot of the time there'll be a load of bullshit being shot at your work by people that don't have a clue. It's up to you to decide what criticism is helpful and what's useless, but don't assume that just because the person that's giving you criticism has little or no background in art that it's automatically useless. Something useful can be taken out of anyone's perspective - just be glad they're willing to give it to you.

    I agree with you 100%
    Thank you for your time.

    NeoKing on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    I will take it under the appropriate consideration.
    :lol:

    "Appropriate" being the subjective key.

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Leafed through what you have up so far and pulled/re-hosted a few:

    Yeah man, you've got some serious Rob Liefeld going on in your comics. Aside from the writing (which is too broad a topic to go into here), there are some real flaws in the anatomy, perspective, inking, illustration and colouring of what you're doing.

    It looks like you draw your backgrounds and environments in after you've drawn your characters on the page. In about half the panels there's just that sea/sky soup thing, and the ones that do have a background have them rendered so they completely ignore both light sources and perspective. This makes the characters look like they're floating, and background elements (like in the bottom of page 2) become completely flat.

    Your anatomy itself falls in the "heroes have round muscles lumped everywhere" school of anatomy drawing. These people have muscles coming out of places that don't make any sense, and because of that they're horribly inconsistent between panels. To have a guy look "powerful" you can't just add curved lines to him, they have to conform to some kind of human anatomy.

    Again the lighting and colouring on this stuff is just... strange. What method are you using to colour these? Are you using photoshop or something similar? Lighting is just coming from all over, it's impossible to figure out from where though. Things that should be blocked out by shadow have highlights on them, and every muscle on every single person gets a shine on it, regardless of where it is on their body.

    Finally, your colours seem to be completely independent of your inks, since your inks give no direction of where the light is coming from. A good rule of thumb is that even without colouring, you should be able to look at the inks on the page and tell where the light is coming from. Jae Lee is really great with this kind of stuff, and really shows a lot of thought about how he approaches these kind of inks.[/QUOTE]

    Greetings Rolo, I have to agree with you on the colors, they need work. The ink however I find complexing. I visited Gaijin http://www.gaijinstudios.com/studeos last week and they where very clear on my inking being "where it needs to be."
    Thanks for your time

    NeoKing on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    The lack of lighting makes all of the art flat and boring, and the colours are so dull that it's almost tiring looking at the pages. Also women
    a. do not get that thin
    b. do not have tits that big
    c. would not be able to stand up if they were that thin and had tits that big

    personally as a viewer I'd see her anatomy as an insult to my intelligence

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I guess that's why you shouldn't listen to just "professionals"

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    http://imgred.com/http://www.neo-earth.com/comics/070514.jpg

    What is that muscle supposed to be on his chest? Why do his arms seem to be ready to sprout feathers? I understand you want them to look muscular, but do that by looking at ACTUAL MUSCULAR PEOPLE rather than just adding muscles wherever.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Whoah whoah whoah, not so fast Tube... lessee some credentials first.

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    re: criticism, you should only listen to POSITIVE criticism from professionals. Negative criticism you take from EVERYWHERE. people know what they dislike

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
  • DMACDMAC Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Without touching much on the art and writing, one thing that stands out to me right away is that the visual storytelling needs work. It's really hard to follow who's doing what and where people/monsters are in relation to one another.

    DMAC on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    oh goodness

    is this guy defending his work

    don't do that, dude

    accept that people who are critiquing your work are doing you a favour, don't shout 'NO YOU ARE WRONG' and completely disregard what they say

    if you're going to disregard what they say, do it quietly

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    http://imgred.com/http://www.neo-earth.com/comics/070514.jpg

    What is that muscle supposed to be on his chest? Why do his arms seem to be ready to sprout feathers? I understand you want them to look muscular, but do that by looking at ACTUAL MUSCULAR PEOPLE rather than just adding muscles wherever.

    do you mean this

    wtf-1.jpg

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    http://www.neo-earth.com/comics/070409.jpg

    panel three, the leftmost bag has a shadow, indicating that the light source is in the upper right of the room. Where is this light coming from? Why isn't the chap in the gold mask casting a shadow? Why isn't this lighting affecting ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PIECE?

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    http://imgred.com/http://www.neo-earth.com/comics/070514.jpg

    What is that muscle supposed to be on his chest? Why do his arms seem to be ready to sprout feathers? I understand you want them to look muscular, but do that by looking at ACTUAL MUSCULAR PEOPLE rather than just adding muscles wherever.

    do you mean this

    wtf-1.jpg

    yes. that is not a real muscle.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    looks like some sort of parasite to me

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    I hate when people review my art and I have no idea what they are capable of.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    Personally I have taken my art studies very seriously. I have a Bachelors degree in fine art with an emphasis is graphics, a secondary in sculptor, and a minor in art history.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    I did my internship with DC comic artist Steve Scott.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    I will sell the book eventually but it isn't a priority.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    My video game work and art teaching job more than pay the bills.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    Early in my art career I spent an hour being critiqued at a convention.
    NeoKing wrote: »
    I visited Gaijin http://www.gaijinstudios.com/studeos last week and they where very clear on my inking being "where it needs to be."

    Every post you make you defend yourself. Why? Let the art speak for itself!!!

    EDIT:
    In advertising, if you talk about how great a product or service is you'd better deliver because if the person buys it and it sucks, they feel cheated and almost never return to said product or service. This is what you're doing, you're setting yourself up like some sort of master artist, but in reality you executions fall short.

    MagicToaster on
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited July 2007
    But the art says "I suck at art" ...

    Lly on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, he also "thanks us for our input".

    Brolo on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Well, he also "thanks us for our input".

    Yeah, and seriously, such curt replies as that don't make me want to spend another ten minutes writing up a helpful post about his failing comic book work.

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeoKingNeoKing Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Wow, my avatar has changed. Very professional. I do however apologies for defending my art. That was wrong of me.
    Thank you for your input.

    NeoKing on
«134
This discussion has been closed.