As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I bring my computer?

CronusCronus Registered User regular
edited April 2005 in PAX Archive
I went to pre register for PAX today with the intent of bringing my onw rig, but much to my horror I realized that the UT 2004 tournament was already full. So that only leaves me with the counter-strike tournament to participate in. Because of that I was wondering if it would be worth it to bring my PC? I'm not much of a console gamer, so I might spend a fair amount of time playing the you other PC gamers.

What do you guys think? I have to preregister in the next 24 hours and I can't decide wheter to spend the $10.(A big decision for an unemployed college student).

camo_sig.png
"Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
Cronus on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2005
    Although the official UT2k4 tournament is full, there will be a TON of pickup games going on at any given time, so don't worry about not being able to play what you want. :)

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, what Robert said.

Really, the tournaments invariably start/run late, your round never lasts as long as you'd wish, and can be ultimately disappointing (like the decision to use the Stalingrad map for last year's Desert Combat tournament. Wtf? There's no desert in Stalingrad).

Looks like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory has been passed over again, so if you want to play the best objective-based multiplayer FPS ever made, you'll have to do it on your own time. Last year, I had two orders of magnitude more fun playing pickup games than I did in the tournaments. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think my experience was unique.

Having a reserved slot in the gaming room always guarantees you have a place to cool your heels from the hours of walking around and a fairly secure spot to put your stuff.

The social aspect is well worth it, too. PC gamers are a different breed, and for all the love they have of the games, most have an equal affection for the hardware itself. So it's a great place to talk about and pick up tweaking tips. Not to mention the odd after-hours DVD presentation.

So, yeah, I'd recommend bringing your computer.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited March 2005
    We should have a dedicated Enemy Territory server up for playing on, and we'll also be working on ways to make it easy for everyone to run unofficial tournaments, although our primary interest is in making sure that all the official tournaments run as smoothly as humanly possible.

And by the looks of it, UT2004 will have a very, very strong presense at this event, so if you enjoy the game I doubt you'll have any problem keeping yourself thoroughly entertained.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    We didn't last year and wished we had, my group ended up going back to the hotel to xbox it up alot since tourneys that held little interest for us took up most of the systems. It would have been nice to be able to have our comps there and gaurenteed something to do when everything else was full.

Were bringing our comps this time and would highly recommend it based on last year.

Anexkahn on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Ok, well Im bringing my computer. Now all I have to do is finish those case mods.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    You have chosen....wisely. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I didn't know if I should bring my computer either as I am walking and bussing but in the end I decided that a couple hundred geeks with nice machines playing all sorts of games for hours on end...well, that's some good shit right there and I'm coming all the way from the great white north.

Also there should have been a mechwarrior 4 mercenaries tournament but there wasn't on the registration page so everyone with the game should form an impromptu tournament and we could think of a prize. Maybe a bag of chips with awesome mechwarrior written on it in sharpie pen.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    How the hell do you tell if a tournament is full?

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    When you register, the place where you would normally tick the box to sign up, says "full" instead.

Anexkahn on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Anexkahn wrote:
    When you register, the place where you would normally tick the box to sign up, says "full" instead.

Er...

I already pregistered. A little while back. I don't even remember a remote option to preregister for PC tournaments.

Last time you just walked in, and signed a sheet of paper with your name.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    the PC ones are on there, its just individual tournaments, the team ones are doing signups on site im pretty sure.

Just hit the registration page and scroll down past the "ticket" section and you'll see where they are at, its like:

Warcraft III Frozen Throne Individual Tournament
    Saturday, Aug 27, 2005 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
    See tournament rules & details
    0Order

but that probably doesnt help much since you already registered.

Anexkahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    There will probably be people who drop out from the tournament and/or are unavailable, so you may still be able to join in.

My advice would be to stay close to the Tournament desk before the tournaments start, if you want to try and squeeze your way in.

David Coffman on