As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's Your Album?

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    31WZ1EKFJJL._AA180_.jpg

Just enough teenage angst and sappyness to make me feel young again, (so it's all come back round to breaking apart again...)
    Yeah, that's me.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    511E0G2P04L._SS500_.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    probably Tindersticks Curtains

B000003TSK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    B00005BGUT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's not my favourite album, and I definitely don't feel like the songs are about me, but this album chased me through high school and every single song has become associated with a particular person or moment. No other album has soundtracked my life like this one did for a few years, so I guess it counts as My Album.

Low Key on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    278752183_small.jpg

If I have to hear Sadeness played during one more flogging scene at a play party I'm going grab the fucking flogger and whip the shit out of the dom.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What is the best flogging song Feral?

I am thinking something by Wham!.

Low Key on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »

Wham!? Are you some kind of sadist?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Low Key wrote: »

Wham!? Are you some kind of sadist?

WHAM! BAM!
    I AM! A MAN!
    JOB OR NO JOB,
    YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT I'M NOT.
    DO! YOU!
    ENJOY WHAT YOU DO?
    IF NOT, JUST STOP!
    DON'T STAY THERE AND ROT!

Low Key on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    In_the_aeroplane_over_the_sea_album_cover_copy.jpg

Podly I love you and want to bear your children.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »
    You know, Keasbey Nights and Everything Goes Numb are basically the only ska albums I like. I wonder why that is?

Because those guys are the only ones to do shit right all the time?

Don't get me wrong, I like The Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Might Might Bosstones, and a couple others I can't think of right now, but Keasby Nights and Everything Goes Numb are the only albums I can listen to without skipping anything, and do it again and again.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I should clarify -- infinitely fuckable though Podly's choice makes him, I'm not sure that I too would call it "My Album."

I'm not sure I even have an album, now that I'm no longer an emo fuck who would have collectively listed everything Elliot Smith wrote up until XO (becuase that's when he got too happy).

I generally don't listen to music with a purpose of really identifying with the artist, or anything like that. In fact, lyrics are really only important to me in that they don't take me out of the expierence. If they're clever/funny/witty/evocative-without-being-sacchrine -- great. I can always appreciate good writing. But it's generally not my focus.

I have a lot of albums dear to my heart -- Weezer, because it was the first thing I ever listened to that wasn't utter shit, Aeroplane Over the Sea, because I have beloved childhood memories of listening to it. Same goes for a ton of Bob Dylan, Belle and Sebastien, Beatles, Rufus Wainright, The Flaming Lips, Interpol, The Shins, and many others. This is It because that was the first band I could ever say I knew "before they were cool;" Either/Or because it still is really evocative without being trite, in addition to being fucking fantastic; Blueberry Boat because it was one of the first really experimental albums I'd ever heard that totally grabbed me; and, honestly, there are so many that it would take me far too long to remember them all. :D

But, man, I gotta say, it's really hard not to think of 9094772.jpg

It's just so damned good.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh damn you just reminded me- I'm changing my answer. Fuck you, I'm doing it.

fbacb2c008a045d73dc94010.L.jpg

This album reflects certain experiences in my life so strongly that after listening to it after said events, I started crying on the spot.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh damn you just reminded me- I'm changing my answer. Fuck you, I'm doing it.

fbacb2c008a045d73dc94010.L.jpg

This album reflects certain experiences in my life so strongly that after listening to it after said events, I started crying on the spot.

It is totally one of the best albums of forever.

Oh, fuck -- They Might Be Giants also have so many fond childhood memories.

Birdhouse in Your Soul makes me happy everytime I listen to it. I can't help myself. :D

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How can a metal album resonate with someone?

How can a <insert your musical choice here> album resonate with anyone?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    669481_CD_L_F.jpg

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    61NM6WV4WZL._SS500_.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    51BVZZX88EL._AA240_.jpg

Their albums aren't as immediately accessable as some. But man are they ever worth the effort. There are tracks on here that send shivers down me as they reach their pitch.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oathboundbig.jpg

No contest.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tom_Waits-Alice.jpg

ZiggyStardust.jpg

I have a lot of albums that I would consider "my albums" but those are the two that I thought of first.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    669481_CD_L_F.jpg

A fine choice, and one I would have called as my own album until I heard...

705689_CD_M_F.jpg

Every song on that album is a classic.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

How can a <insert your musical choice here> album resonate with anyone?

Seriously though, whether you like metal or not, saying what Poldy said instantly certifies you a reprobate.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    200px-Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

Every song on this album just fills me with joy. It keeps a consistent melodic feel and has instant gratification throughout the whole thing. I can listen to it forever without getting tired. I sometimes like to classify Maiden as a metal band for humanities students; this album is based on a semi-obscure book by Orson Scott Card intermingled with various folklore and lyrical content. Fucking awesome.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm really surprised there's been a complete lack of Talking Heads in this thread.

srsly.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    The Cheese wrote: »
    You know, Keasbey Nights and Everything Goes Numb are basically the only ska albums I like. I wonder why that is?

Because those guys are the only ones to do shit right all the time?

Don't get me wrong, I like The Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Might Might Bosstones, and a couple others I can't think of right now, but Keasby Nights and Everything Goes Numb are the only albums I can listen to without skipping anything, and do it again and again.

Well yes, that's third wave ska, it's very close to punk rock. Streetlight Manifesto/Catch 22 are less focused on the whole jumping around be happy goddamnit. You should start listening to older ska, maybe you like the Skatalites or Madness.

Other modern ska (not counting Aquabats, RBF and MMB, because I do like what they're doing, or at least, some of it) that is more than punky ~ Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Ask my Cat and Mad Caddies. Also: listen to some Pannonia All-star Ska Orchestra and Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. You have no soul if you don't like that. D=<

By the way, I would be very pleased if people would post a clarification of what is Their Album, I mean, that is the purpose of this thread and all.

Aldo on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Of_Montreal_Hissing_Fauna__Are_You_the_Destroyer__Polyvinyl.jpg

For some reason, the whole album resonates with me, even though I should hate it (based on my other musical tastes.)

"Coqueliquot: Asleep in the Poppies" used to be my favorite Of Montreal album before this one. It caused me to order the complete discography off of Amazon.com (well, every Of Montreal album they had in stock, anyway)

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PresidentsoftheUnitedStatesofAmericaII.jpg

After listening to this wonderful little nonsensical pop CD over and over again since before I could shave I can feel confident saying I probably belong as much to this album as it belongs to me. Every single song makes me smile a goofy smile and bob my head along, I even think the spoken word bonus track is entertaining.

Trevor on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Don't lime that, you sonovabitch, because this is true:
    Seriously though, whether you like metal or not, saying what Poldy said instantly certifies you a reprobate.

Low Key on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    41BX24E4H8L._AA240_.jpg

or

61NWQWFWSAL._AA240_.jpg

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    strakha_7 wrote: »

I'm not looking to get int "genre definition wars" here, but lets take an example like the band Tool. The music could be classified as metal, but the content is emotional, intelligent, introspective and provocative. Especially the later albums; Metal music talking about enjoying life and making the most of your experiences.

I saw an interview where he was asked about the "anger" in the lyrics. His response was (paraphrasing obviously) that anger isnt always negaive. Sometimes it can be a positive force. If you're angry about something, you will make changes.

Recently he was actually criticised that the lyrics were not as angry. He response was that he heals through his music. If he didnt he wouldn't do it. If he was still angry, he would have quit.

I'm sure there are other examples... But as I put their Album as mine, I felt compelled to respond. ;-)

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The music could be classified as bad.

VishNub on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    278752183_small.jpg

If I have to hear Sadeness played during one more flogging scene at a play party I'm going grab the fucking flogger and whip the shit out of the dom.

Just like any song that's an instant, massive hit, it's played far too often. Like Def Leppard's Let's Get Rocked (hardly their best song, but it's played constantly by VH1) or, more recently, like Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl... grargh, I wouldn't mind that song so much if it wasn't forced on me every time I jump into someone's car. Bloody radio, it's no wonder I don't listen to it.

MCMXC AD, though... beautiful.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    6a00cdf7e30551094f00d4142eb5f23c7f-500pi

OR

s2753.jpg

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    485352.jpg

geckahn on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would have an easier time picking a song than I would an album, but since two of my choices for that are on this album, might as well.

AlbumCovers-Foreigner(1977).jpg

VishNub on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    strakha_7 wrote: »

I'm not looking to get int "genre definition wars" here, but lets take an example like the band Tool. The music could be classified as metal, but the content is emotional, intelligent, introspective and provocative. Especially the later albums; Metal music talking about enjoying life and making the most of your experiences.

I saw an interview where he was asked about the "anger" in the lyrics. His response was (paraphrasing obviously) that anger isnt always negaive. Sometimes it can be a positive force. If you're angry about something, you will make changes.

Recently he was actually criticised that the lyrics were not as angry. He response was that he heals through his music. If he didnt he wouldn't do it. If he was still angry, he would have quit.

I'm sure there are other examples... But as I put their Album as mine, I felt compelled to respond. ;-)

I don't think Tool is really the kind of metal Podly was referring to. I think he was referring to the heavier, almost entirely instrumentally-focused kind of metal, the kind where the lyrics include things like "I don't wish anybody well, I want everybody to share my pain" and such wonderfully goofy horseshit. (I actually heard these lyrics today while listening to some of my music collection)

Note that I enjoy a lot of metal myself, although not the hardest of hard, but it is hard to see how anybody could really find some kind of intimate connection with the lyrics usually found in metal music.

That said, sometimes a connection is not lyrical, but rather sonic. Sometimes a song has a sound that really gets you. Melodic metal does this in the standard way but usually aims more for technical and aggressive appeal than any particular emotion, I think. Non-melodic metal, however, surely resonates with people who are really angry, all the time.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    VishNub wrote: »
    The music could be classified as bad.
    *facepalm*

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't think Tool is really the kind of metal Podly was referring to. I think he was referring to the heavier, almost entirely instrumentally-focused kind of metal, the kind where the lyrics include things like "I don't wish anybody well, I want everybody to share my pain" and such wonderfully goofy horseshit. (I actually heard these lyrics today while listening to some of my music collection)

Note that I enjoy a lot of metal myself, although not the hardest of hard, but it is hard to see how anybody could really find some kind of intimate connection with the lyrics usually found in metal music.

That said, sometimes a connection is not lyrical, but rather sonic. Sometimes a song has a sound that really gets you. Melodic metal does this in the standard way but usually aims more for technical and aggressive appeal than any particular emotion, I think. Non-melodic metal, however, surely resonates with people who are really angry, all the time.
    For as far as I am aware no one has posted a death metal album as Their Album, yet. :|

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just like any song that's an instant, massive hit, it's played far too often. Like Def Leppard's Let's Get Rocked (hardly their best song, but it's played constantly by VH1) or, more recently, like Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl... grargh, I wouldn't mind that song so much if it wasn't forced on me every time I jump into someone's car. Bloody radio, it's no wonder I don't listen to it.

MCMXC AD, though... beautiful.

Oh, I agree. It's an excellent album.

Feral on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    238.jpg

MikeMan on