As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for non-cliche love stories

2»

• Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, As Good As it Gets is definitely one of my favorite movies.

You've Got Mail was pretty ehhhh.

I liked Bridget Jones's Diary a lot. Don't hurt me.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait...he said non-cliché. Bridget Jones's Diary, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, etc., are the romcoms he's trying to get away from. And he's already watched Amelie.

In the same vein, Love Actually is a terrible amalgamation of almost every single love cliché out there. Just because it has multiple stories doesn't mean it doesn't follow a formula.

Closer isn't really much of a love story; it's a tale of obsession and it's not exactly happy.

On the other hand, Secretary is a good recommendation. I really enjoyed that film.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't know. I thought Love Actually was pretty good. It wasn't cliche in the Serendipity, You've Got Mail, Two Weeks' Notice kind of way.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    high fidelity best movie about love and life. ever.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I kind of hated High Fidelity. I found it boring.

I tried watching it twice, and I could never make it through.

However, Better Off Dead is hilarious (could that be a love story?)

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    How about that movie Once.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oh oh oh i have another one

Leaving Las Vegas

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Better Off Dead

:^:

For something more dramatic, I'm somewhat partial to An Officer and a Gentleman.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I thought The Terminal was pretty good. It's a fairly recent Spielberg film that didn't really get much attention at all.
    Seconded.

Also, Me and You and Everyone We Know, while certainly having a non-cliché romance, really wasn't that great besides the "poop back and forth" bit.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I don't know how everyone will react to this one but I just thought of another that I'd forgotten:

How about The Lake House? I think there's certainly enough in there to keep it from being too cliche, and I just thought it was an awesome movie.

Thirding .. fourthing? As Good As It Gets, too. That movie was just awesome. Speaking of Jack Nicholson, what about "Something's Gotta Give" -- I dunno what you guys thought, but I loved that movie.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Donnie Darko.

I think, at it's heart, it was a love story.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Fountainhead is one that I am surprised hasn't been mentioned yet.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Fountainhead? Like, the one where Gary Cooper rapes Patricia Neal except she actually wanted to be raped? And that's full of Ayn Rand propaganda all the way through?

... buh?

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    The Fountainhead? Like, the one where Gary Cooper rapes Patricia Neal except she actually wanted to be raped? And that's full of Ayn Rand propaganda all the way through?

... buh?

See, now I'm confused and positive I have confused the name, because I am thinking of the one with the dude who played Wolverine, and his wife has cancer, and it's about rebirth and love through the ages.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

... buh?

See, now I'm confused and positive I have confused the name, because I am thinking of the one with the dude who played Wolverine, and his wife has cancer, and it's about rebirth and love through the ages.

That'd just be "The Fountain".

Rook on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »

... buh?

That'd just be "The Fountain".

Oh thank god, I thought Cass had been kidnapped and brainwashed by rapid Objectivists for a minute there.

I really want to see "The Fountain", but it has been out of all 10 copies the last four times I have been to the video place. GRRR.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    What's her faceWhat's her face Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you liked Amelie you'll probably like two other movies with Audrey Tatou...
    He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (A la folie... pas du tout)
    and
    Happenstance (Le battement d'ailes du papillon)

What's her face on
  • Options
    TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure if this has been left out because no one else has thought of it, or if it's simply that everyone else thought it sucked, but I will toss "Sliding Doors" out there.

Talondel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Love & Basketball
    Down With Love
    Charade (sort of)
    Save The Last Dance

Definitely seconding Paris je T'aime

It's still in some theaters, too.

Once is supposed to be good.

And I enjoyed Snow Falling On Cedars, but it's not exactly happy.

Amelie's my favorite ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I really want to see "The Fountain", but it has been out of all 10 copies the last four times I have been to the video place. GRRR.

Buy it. You won't regret it. It's gorgeous.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Fountain really is an astonishing film.

With The Fountain, Aronofsky finally earned all the praise thrown at him for Requiem for a Dream.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Truth.

Did you know he filmed chemical reactions in petri dishes to get the background effect in all the futuristic scenes?

I read that and it made me love Aronofsky.

Also, there's a graphic novel of The Fountain. It's the only graphic novel I've read all the way through. It's a true work of art.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett. It's a historical epic, but still centrally a (unhappy) love story.

Also, I think you might enjoy Broken Flowers. The love stories in the movie are implicit, because the whole point of the film is that they're all over, but it works.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I actually will recommend The Fountainhead, if you're up for something that is a little less 'provided for' than most love stories. Cynicism with Rand aside, for people with certain personalities it can be a very uplifting movie, especially for a couple.

Organichu on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    The Wedding Singer

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seconding Paris, Je T'aime.

e: Thirding, actually.

kitch on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A Life Less Ordinary
    It's got angel "hitmen" and stuff. :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to have to second "My Sassy Girl" saw it in korea and thought it was a great movie.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    WiseguyWiseguy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Once
    Once
    Once
    Once

yeah, it avoids every fuckin' cliche out there, including even cliches prominent in a lot of independent flicks.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    I can't recommend Punch Drunk Love enough

completely underated movie which is really touching in a surreal way

it's probably my favourite romantic film ever
    Makershot wrote: »
    And I second Punch Drunk Love, it's quite phenomenal.
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Also second the recommendation for Punch Drunk Love. It's a bit uncomfortable in spots but it never rings less than one hundred percent true.

Interesting. My mother went to see this movie and has since proclaimed it to be Adam Sandler's worst acting ever, to the point of bringing it up whenever a movie involving Adam Sandler is mentioned. I've never seen the movie... what's so wrong with it?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Janson wrote: »

On the other hand, Secretary is a good recommendation. I really enjoyed that film.

This needs to be said again. It is a great movie.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Brokeback Mountain, because there is an actual reason their love won't work, not like every other love story where some artificial concern pops up and threatens to keep them apart.

Amelie I loved.

The fountain is well worth a watch.

and honestly I thought Music and Lyrics was rather sweet.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -Science Fictiony, and excellent.

The Princess Bride -duh

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    oh oh oh i have another one

Leaving Las Vegas

watch this if you want to feel the bonding effects of having your soul being ripped from your body and stepped on repeatedly

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Someone said Leaving Las Vegas?

The hell

whuppins on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Argus wrote: »
    Interesting. My mother went to see this movie and has since proclaimed it to be Adam Sandler's worst acting ever, to the point of bringing it up whenever a movie involving Adam Sandler is mentioned. I've never seen the movie... what's so wrong with it?

Er...no. It's great acting, i.e. it's Sandler portraying someone who isn't Happy Gilmore/Waterboy/Billy Madison or a generic vaguely frat-ish guy, and doing a fabulous job of it. His character in PDL is extremely socially awkward - not creepy, but there are a lot of scenes where you just cringe in embarrassment for him. The movie is about lonely, slightly weird people who manage to make a connection, and it's beautiful, but there were a lot of people who just hated it for not being "Waterboy 2".

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_