As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The soccer thread for jerks who have posters of C. Ronaldo with the C.L. cup

TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I noticed a distinct lack of threads about real football, and thought this place could really use more discussion about the Beautiful Game.

Since I'm Irish, I support both the Irish League and the English league. The main advantage of this being that Irish teams play in the Summer when the weathers nice, instead of from Autumn to Spring like most leagues do(Anyone who's experienced an Irish winter can understand why playing in the Summer is so great). I follow my local team, Bohemians and even though we have fuck all chance of winning the league, its still great fun to go down and act like a lunatic amongst the other supporters.

Even though most leagues don't play during the Summer theres still a lot to discuss. I'm especially interested by Liverpool getting a new stadium, but keeping the Kop. I think its great that they recognize the historical value of the stand, and its importance to football as a whole. Fair dues to them for keeping it, unlike Arsenal and Man. City who got out of their old grounds as quickly as they could.

So, IIT: discuss any aspect of the beautiful game and remember, it's not a matter of life and death. Its much more important than that.

P.S. David Beckhams a twat. Don't mention him.

Tav on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

The MLS is getting better, but unless we become the minor league for South America or something we'll never get it. The problem in the United States is that there are too many sports too ingrained into our psyches.

I always have a soft spot for Blackburn from when I was a kid.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Wait, soccer?

Crap... I knew that I made a mistake. I meant to emphasize that it was ...uh... "Soccer" and not American football.

Hopefully a mod will change it to something which will let people know that it is before entering the thread.

Tav on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing about soccer in America is that while it's the first or second most popular youth sport, the kids that get good in it tend to drop it after high school. It has nothing to do with too many sports (what percentage of kids do you think play little league football compared to soccer?), it's just that it never seems to finish to a professional level.

There's a HUGE potential for it to really boom, though.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

The MLS is getting better, but unless we become the minor league for South America or something we'll never get it. The problem in the United States is that there are too many sports too ingrained into our psyches.

Define problem, because I'm really inclined to disagree. Football is arguably more tradition oriented than any other sport in the world. There are a LOT of countries with small population that have absolutely great teams and that is unlikely to change. I wouldn't expect a european country to have a competitive Baseball team simply because they will it so, no matter how much money they throw in it, and same goes for the USA and football. The problem is most certainly not in the pro sports, athleticism is good, but there is no reason to believe that if the best athletes in the country concentrate in football they'd have the necessary skill. To put it in other words, the States have a very respectable team for the small time they've being trying to develop the sport, and it will probably get better with time, but the so called pro-leagues are not why the USA will never win a World Cup.

zeeny on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    Wait, soccer?

Crap... I knew that I made a mistake. I meant to emphasize that it was ...uh... "Soccer" and not American football.

Hopefully a mod will change it to something which will let people know that it is before entering the thread.

You can edit the titles of your own threads.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Wait, soccer?

You can edit the titles of your own threads.

Thanks, didn't notice. >.<

Tav on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    zeeny wrote: »
    Wait, soccer?

Define problem, because I'm really inclined to disagree. Football is arguably more tradition oriented than any other sport in the world. There are a LOT of countries with small population that have absolutely great teams and that is unlikely to change. I wouldn't expect a european country to have a competitive Baseball team simply because they will it so, no matter how much money they throw in it, and same goes for the USA and football. The problem is most certainly not in the pro sports, athleticism is good, but there is no reason to believe that if the best athletes in the country concentrate in football they'd have the necessary skill. To put it in other words, the States have a very respectable team for the small time they've being trying to develop the sport, and it will probably get better with time, but the so called pro-leagues are not why the USA will never win a World Cup.

I agree that our World Cup team could be great, but how many of those players played in the MLS? To see great football on a regular basis you need to either buy a package fom your TV provider or leave the country. There are definitely some great college and HS teams, but people here will probably never have the same interest for that level as we do for American football, basketball, baseball even hockey. There's a system in place for those sports to bring the best to the American public's attention to idolize and emulate. I've never seen a kid wearing a Preki or Maradona jersey, but I see people wearing old school baseball jersey's all the time. It's only one component, but it does effect the prospects for players in this country.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

Well, hockey seems to have just about stepped aside, which creates just that little bit of breathing room for soccer to shoehorn itself in. I personally gave MLS 12 years or so to prove itself to me, and here's how that went:

*Inaugural group announced. I go yaaaaay. But what team to pick? There's no team close to me; the closest is the Columbus Crew, which doesn't work.
    *I end up deciding to back whatever team wins the inaugural game. This turns out to be contested between teams on the coasts- DC United and the San Jose Clash.
    *Wait, why is the clock counting down? That shouldn't be happening.
    *San Jose wins 1-0 off a goal from Eric Wynalda. Okay, so the Clash is my team.
    *DC United wins first MLS Cup. San Jose comes in 4th in a 5-team division and gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Doh.
    *Chicago Fire enters league as expansion team. Yay, something resembling a local team. (Milwaukee would be preferable, but if all I get is Chicago, I'll take it.) Bye, Clash.
    *League contracts the two Florida teams. Wait, isn't soccer relatively popular in Florida? How did that happen?
    *Over time, I realize that I can't name a single Fire player save the goalie, Zach Thornton.
    *Meanwhile, Clash, or Earthquakes, win MLS Cup. STOP TEMPTING ME TO GO BACK!
    *Realize the reason I can't name anyone is that every time a player gets well known enough for me to name them, they bolt for Europe.
    *Further realize I'm not actually getting to see any games no matter who I'm a fan of. Which makes things a bit difficult. One game a week total? Come on.
    *Clash move to Houston, adding a whole new level of confusion to the whole thing.
    *World Cup 2006. See level of soccer that puts MLS to shame. Realize half the US squad is in Europe and almost none of the non-Americans are.
    *Finally decide that this is stupid and decide if I'm not going to get to see my team on TV, I might as well not see a GOOD team on TV.
    *Start putting out applications for any likely-looking foreign squad, end up adopting Aston Villa.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

I agree that our World Cup team could be great, but how many of those players played in the MLS? To see great football on a regular basis you need to either buy a package fom your TV provider or leave the country. There are definitely some great college and HS teams, but people here will probably never have the same interest for that level as we do for American football, basketball, baseball even hockey. There's a system in place for those sports to bring the best to the American public's attention to idolize and emulate. I've never seen a kid wearing a Preki or Maradona jersey, but I see people wearing old school baseball jersey's all the time. It's only one component, but it does effect the prospects for players in this country.

I actually did leave in part because of that. There is no such thing as sports coverage in North America. No tennis(there is a Tennis Channel, and the tennis coverage is still worlds away from Europe.....), volleyball, winter sports. It's pretty sad and it's very hard to explain how magnificient it is to have a channel like Eurosport, even if you don't care about half the sports they show. It's the fact that pretty much anything you can think of gets time on air.

Edit: On the subject of MLS, more and more american players getting their careers going in Europe can only be good for US football in the long run. Still, the number of "foreigners" right now is pretty far from what it should be before we have an impact.

zeeny on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

I actually did leave in part because of that. There is no such thing as sports coverage in North America. No tennis(there is a Tennis Channel, and the tennis coverage is still worlds away from Europe.....), volleyball, winter sports. It's pretty sad and it's very hard to explain how magnificient it is to have a channel like Eurosport, even if you don't care about half the sports they show. It's the fact that pretty much anything you can think of gets time on air.

Edit: On the subject of MLS, more and more american players getting their careers going in Europe can only be good for US football in the long run. Still, the number of "foreigners" right now is pretty far from what it should be before we have an impact.

All the Copa games have been on the spanish stations.

Or there's Sky Sports, but you need satellite for that

geckahn on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    David Beckham is a fucking legend.

Finest right foot in the world, that lad used to have.

#14 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I agree. The League of Ireland has a few big player go over to England and make it big(Roy Keane, Kevin Doyle and Roy O'Donovan being the biggest) and its been great for the league. I can only assume that the same thing would only yield the same results for the MSL.
    #14 wrote: »

He's an annoying, bitchy drama queen who got one lucky goal 11 years ago and has been riding on that since. Mediocre player, terrible captain and I'm glad United got rid of him when teams were stupid enough to actually pay good money for him.

Tav on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You can't watch football in Britain without buying satellite TV, so I'm not so sure that's what's holding back the sport in America.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone catch the U-20 tournament? I made it to a few games and caught a fair bit of it on TV. One thing I learned was that I hate South American teams as much as I ever have. I'd like to see red cards for diving and liberal use of them.

Refs suck.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm so glad the A-League season has almost started up again. All I need to do now is erase all memories of last years grand final.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing about soccer in America is that while it's the first or second most popular youth sport, the kids that get good in it tend to drop it after high school. It has nothing to do with too many sports (what percentage of kids do you think play little league football compared to soccer?), it's just that it never seems to finish to a professional level.

People quit soccer because i simply does not pay the way basketball, football, and baseball do.

Anyhow, go Revs! Totally miss Clint Dempsey. He was so dominant when he wanted to be.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

People quit soccer because i simply does not pay the way basketball, football, and baseball do.

Anyhow, go Revs! Totally miss Clint Dempsey. He was so dominant when he wanted to be.

It's a cycle. No one plays because no one gets paid, and no one gets paid because no one plays. But really, all that's needed for MLS to take off are a few key league-wide sponsorships and a proper TV deal like the NFL has. That's what the Beckham deal is looking for. That would then result in an influx of foreign players that would popularize the sport as a professional sport in America, and get youth soccer players more dedicated to the sport.

Also, soccer tends in America more towards upper-class children, who don't really view sports in general as an end in itself, rather simply as something that is an means to an entirely unrelated end (helps for college, staying in shape, just fun to play), whereas in basketball and football the biggest youth players are from poorer areas and view sports as their only way to be a success, so put forth a much more concerted effort to reach the top.

If I'm not mistaken, professional international soccer is played much more by people from bad neighborhoods than your stereotypical soccer player in America.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    I'm so glad the A-League season has almost started up again. All I need to do now is erase all memories of last years grand final.

Oh sweet Jesus Christ we do not talk about that day Bob. WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT DAY.

Low Key on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

Also, the only way soccer is a beautiful game is if by beautiful you mean "Slow as fuck."
    By the way, I'm trolling because you called soccer "Real Football."

Picardathon on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The US beat Brazil! Whoo!

In the Under 20 Cup. >.>

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »

Oh sweet Jesus Christ we do not talk about that day Bob. WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT DAY.
    Just sit back and reminisce about that 31-0 pasting of American Samoa and it'll be allllll better.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

Just sit back and reminisce about that 31-0 pasting of American Samoa and it'll be allllll better.

Was that deliberate? Because if that was a deliberate attempt to rub it in, it was a pretty impressive effort and you have some might obscure knowledge about Australian soccer.

You absolute fuck.

Low Key on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The US beat Brazil! Whoo!

In the Under 20 Cup. >.>

Hey, it's still a win?

At work, we watch the soccer games all the time - sure, it's all South American teams mostly, and it's in Spanish, but it's still good fun.

Shamus on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

Also, the only way soccer is a beautiful game is if by beautiful you mean "Slow as fuck."

He means 'real' in the sense of original ;chill out. Besides, soccer has been scientifically proven to be the most interesting sport.

I'm curious; what happened?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Arsenal ftw.
    FC Dallas ft..chokewin on the mls side.

I've been looking forward to this thread being made, yet I have nothing to say.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, soccer?

Wikipedia wrote:
    Of the 45 national FIFA affiliates in which English is an official or primary language, only three (Canada, Samoa and the United States) actually use "soccer" in their organizations' official names, while the rest use football (although the Samoan Federation actually uses both). However, in some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, use of the word "football" by soccer bodies is a recent change and has been controversial.

That aside, I thought the U20 tourney had some great games but some of the most fucked up refs ever.

EDIT: Also, I feel bad for the Canadien team. Home team and all...that and when their 'keeper fucked it up at the end.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Arikado wrote: »
    Wait, soccer?

Wikipedia wrote:
    Of the 45 national FIFA affiliates in which English is an official or primary language, only three (Canada, Samoa and the United States) actually use "soccer" in their organizations' official names, while the rest use football (although the Samoan Federation actually uses both). However, in some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, use of the word "football" by soccer bodies is a recent change and has been controversial.

That aside, I thought the U20 tourney had some great games but some of the most fucked up refs ever.

I could spend the better part of 24 hours explaining why soccer is a more entertaining and skillful game than anything America has to offer.

So I will just agree, soccer is the Real Football.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »

that which shall not be mentioned
    I spent 20 hrs on buses and stayed awake for two days to see adelaide united lose the final 6-0 to a team with whom we've had the closest rivalry of the league with. Then you add the whole SA-Victoria rivalry on top of that and jesus christ it hurts so bad :(

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2007
    My commentary on the MLS is this:

There's too many people who have stakes in the MLS who want to call the shots. Advertisers, managers, club presidents, commisioners, etc. However, it's at the point where it's starting to become scorched into America's sports list nowadays. I remember reading an article about how the MLS was able to lure people from the NHL during the hiatus and from the NBA for whatever reason. Either way, MLS is getting there slowly. The current tourney called SuperLiga where it's 4 MLS teams versus 4 Mexican clubs should be interesting.

As far as my tastes, I don't particularly have a favorite in England but I follow the Spanish and Italian leagues (Deportivo La Coruña and AC Milan respectively). Being Mexican, I'd consider myself a fan of Guadalajara and that defaults me to being partial for Chivas USA. This pretty much means I'm refreshing news sites for transfer tidbits all summer long. Bleargh...

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've thought about this actually, and I realized that I have no idea how to tune into MLS soccer. Is it just on one channel? On various channels? How often do they play? When?

Maybe if it was just like a thing for one day (like Saturday or something) when all the teams played their week's games, and they were broadcast on all the major networks, I would watch it.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've thought about this actually, and I realized that I have no idea how to tune into MLS soccer. Is it just on one channel? On various channels? How often do they play? When?

Maybe if it was just like a thing for one day (like Saturday or something) when all the teams played their week's games, and they were broadcast on all the major networks, I would watch it.

Get FSC. ESPN2 Shows them..randomly. I just get the online thing from mlsnet.com. It's real cheap, like 15$ and you get to watch every game.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    a714generationa714generation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to think football was boring, and was a big hockey fan, but I gave the English Premier League a chance and then football became my absolute favorite sport.

I married into a Liverpudlian family some years ago, and have been a fan of the reds ever since. Have to admit, it was pretty emotional to see the plans for the new Kop today. It should be amazing. You can tell that the design is purposely flying in the face of those like Arsenal's new ground. It's very asymmetric and that's a good thing in my mind.

As far as the season goes, I hope we can keep pace with Chelsea and Man U this year. Fernando Torres is an exciting signing, but our best new player so far in preseason has been one we got for free--Voronin.

I'm just getting over the Champions league loss to AC Milan, but this year will hope that we show up better in the league.

YNWA

a714generation on
    The Weekend Gamer--All about gaming culture, living among non-gamers, and growing up in the nintendo generation

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • Options
    edited July 2007

What bob said. Fucking shambles on an epic scale. 6-0 loss, coach not allowed anywhere near the team because he can't hold his temper, captain of the fucking team sent off in the first half. It was the most humiliatingly piss poor performance I've ever seen.

I give mtvcdm credit for the American Samoan burn because the guy who scored 5 of those 6 goals that beat us also holds the world record for goals scored in an international game; 13 during the thrashing of American Samoa. Archie Thompson is a personal nemesis of my team, that smarm infested scumfuck.

Low Key on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It probably will help the future of American soccer/football that everyone in the past several decades played youth soccer as a kids, and now those people are growing up. Surely that will help to a degree. I don't know another male my age who didn't play youth soccer.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I agree. The League of Ireland has a few big player go over to England and make it big(Roy Keane, Kevin Doyle and Roy O'Donovan being the biggest) and its been great for the league. I can only assume that the same thing would only yield the same results for the MSL.

He's an annoying, bitchy drama queen who got one lucky goal 11 years ago and has been riding on that since. Mediocre player, terrible captain and I'm glad United got rid of him when teams were stupid enough to actually pay good money for him.

Bless us with more of your American insights on football.

His wife might be annoying but, aside from his 98 red card, I really can't think of much that would make David a "drama queen".

Have you actually seen him play during Uniteds treble run? Have you actually seen how he basically made Real Madrid the champions this year, the second half of the season?

He might not be a legendary player, and yeah, the OMG DAVID BECKHAM LA GALAXY LEGEND shit is overrated, but goddamn, Beckham has earned our respect.

#14 on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What is funny, is our yank friends here have feeder leagues named A-League and the NSL. How fucking wierd is that?

I caught the pre-season cup match between Adelaide and Melbourne. Good stuff.

I notice no mention has been made of that incident last Saturday. We shall speak of it no more.

Speaking of Archie, the Melbourne strategy seemed to be in the match "long ball it to Archie", alas, Archie was in Thailand getting left on the benches as we got flogged. And their backup striker was pants.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Get FSC. ESPN2 Shows them..randomly. I just get the online thing from mlsnet.com. It's real cheap, like 15$ and you get to watch every game.

If by randomly you mean every Thursday night, then yes, I guess they show MLS randomly.

I'm enjoying the SuperLiga thus far for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because the Mexican sides have yet to win a match through 4 games.

Hopefully Beckham gets to play against CD Guadeljara this weekend.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Bless us with more of your American insights on football.

His wife might be annoying but, aside from his 98 red card, I really can't think of much that would make David a "drama queen".

Have you actually seen him play during Uniteds treble run? Have you actually seen how he basically made Real Madrid the champions this year, the second half of the season?

He might not be a legendary player, and yeah, the OMG DAVID BECKHAM LA GALAXY LEGEND shit is overrated, but goddamn, Beckham has earned our respect.

I, too, never understood why the drama queen label was pressed onto him. So he married a spice girl. He gets red carded, misses a penalty, cries after a game....this is shit tons of other players do. Eric Wynalda put up more drama than Beckham, hell, he's still all pissy these days even as a commentator.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »

What bob said. Fucking shambles on an epic scale. 6-0 loss, coach not allowed anywhere near the team because he can't hold his temper, captain of the fucking team sent off in the first half. It was the most humiliatingly piss poor performance I've ever seen.

I give mtvcdm credit for the American Samoan burn because the guy who scored 5 of those 6 goals that beat us also holds the world record for goals scored in an international game; 13 during the thrashing of American Samoa. Archie Thompson is a personal nemesis of my team, that smarm infested scumfuck.
    Here's the thing. My base of soccer knowledge is completely and utterly scattershot. I don't have much of a sense of what's better to know than what, so I just grab what I can when I can, with what is probably disproportionally large attention given outside Europe. So I have a situation where I'm dumb on, say, formations (like why everyone in England is married to the 4-4-2), but I know there's a top-division team in Anguilla that calls itself Full Monty.

Cue the American Samoa diss.

Gosling on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Limed for truth. Beckham is not the Soccer Jesus that the American media is making him out to be. He is almost certainly not going to make the MLS meaningful in any way. But, he is still a very quality player that most European teams still would probably want on their teams. He has done alot over his career, so he has earned some respect for it. Also, when you see how he handled the last 6 months, you can tell he is at least a decent, honest and respectable person. Seriously, how many professional superstar athletes would essentially bite their tongue and just go out and practice hard when they were getting shit on that badly?????

Beckham is good. Nothing more, nothing less.

quovadis13 on
This discussion has been closed.