As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dynamic Webpage Content

blue integerblue integer Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello PAers.

I have the desire to create a slightly dynamic web page. I know html and css fairly well. Needless to say, I can design a page that looks ok.

However, I want to do some simple stuff...for instance, create lists that can be organized alphabetically or numerically at the user's discretion.

Would this be best suited for php or sql? How long would it take to learn and implement something like this?

Thanks for your advice.

blue integer on

• blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What type of data is going to be in the lists? How often will it be updated?

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • blue integerblue integer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    blincoln wrote: »
    What type of data is going to be in the lists?

Integers, some strings...maybe true/false stuff. Basically, a bit of everything. There might even be some sentences.
    blincoln wrote: »
    How often will it be updated?

Ease of update isn't an end all...I'd rather have a solution that's easier to implement than a solution that's easier to update.

Thanks for the reply.

blue integer on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hello PAers.

I have the desire to create a slightly dynamic web page. I know html and css fairly well. Needless to say, I can design a page that looks ok.

However, I want to do some simple stuff...for instance, create lists that can be organized alphabetically or numerically at the user's discretion.

Would this be best suited for php or sql? How long would it take to learn and implement something like this?

Thanks for your advice.

Well you don't need SQL for that, you have no need for state. If you wanted the list to be stored outside of the web page (this is a good idea) then you will need the database.

Lewisham on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Hello PAers.

Thanks for your advice.

Well you don't need SQL for that, you have no need for state. If you wanted the list to be stored outside of the web page (this is a good idea) then you will need the database.

Eh, not necessarily.
    If it's a simple two-dimensional list it could easily be stored in a text file rather than a full database.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Eh, not necessarily.
    If it's a simple two-dimensional list it could easily be stored in a text file rather than a full database.

Well, yeah. But I like putting everything in databases; text files worry me :)

Lewisham on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Depending on the specifics of what you want to do, you may be able to do it with Javascript and node manipulation.

However, though it's possible, actually implementing anything to do with node manipulation will make you want to stab yourself in the balls with a fork.

PHP and a text file would probably be easiest, especially if you're doing the set up yourself and learning from scratch. You'd want a database if you planned to do anything on a large scale.

japan on
  • blue integerblue integer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Depending on the specifics of what you want to do, you may be able to do it with Javascript and node manipulation.

However, though it's possible, actually implementing anything to do with node manipulation will make you want to stab yourself in the balls with a fork.

PHP and a text file would probably be easiest, especially if you're doing the set up yourself and learning from scratch. You'd want a database if you planned to do anything on a large scale.

I'd like to come out of this project with my balls intact (if possible).

Any good resources to read? Or just learn some php?

blue integer on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The PHP documentation is surprisingly good.

As for Javascript/nodes, I'd say buy a decent book. I have a particular hatred for complex Javascript solutions because you have to think about the content and it's presentation in weird ways compared to PHP, and they never work quite like you'd expect cross-browser (that's mostly the cause of the fork/balls interaction).

japan on