As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seafood Meadaly

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I saw a seafood meadaly at Wal-mart when grocery shopping and had to have it. It contains shrimp, crab, squid, and surimi. It is all precooked but I need advice on how to prepare it.

I was thinking of serving it with white rice. I was also thinking of heating it up in the frying pan with a little butter for flavor. What I was wondering is if I should go out and get some kind of a sauce to serve it with or if that sounds good by itself. Its kind of a large portion so Im just a little bit afriad of screwing it up and not wanting the leftovers.

Any advice would be helpful as I would be cooking this tomorrow for lunch. (7/29)

Bedlam on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spaghetti Marinara is the bomb. Simmer up a sauce with onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes and some tomato paste, salt, pepper, a chilli if you like it spicy and some italian herbs (basil and oregano) and lemon juice. Since the seafood's already cooked (always a bit dodgy with seafood, but if you don't have it available fresh, why not?) just chuck it in for long enough to make sure it's hot. Serve on Spaghetti (or even better, Linguine), a bit of parmesan if you're brave enough to do Cheese + Seafood. Awesome.

(If you want to be quick you could always just chuck it in a pre-made jar of spaghetti sauce, but where's the fun in that?)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not a bad plan bsjezz. Personally though, tomato sauce really kills the flavor in a good deal of seafood. It can work though.

To Bedlam, gentle heating in some butter would be very nice. A low temperature pan with a bit of butter would be ideal. Get it all hot, not for too long, while its cooking, add (if you have it: some dill, maybe basil...basically a small amount of some herbs). Salt and pepper, and then some lemon juice and zest. (I like alot)

It comes down to how you like your sea meat. Flavor it how you like, just warm it very slowly. Too much heat will make it rubbery.

Lemon is ideal, other additions are up to you. I know it requires a good deal of experimentation.

The best canned seafood I have ever had was canned lobster with a bit of lemon and butter on a toasted roll. Simplicity wins!

I assumed this was cooked meat from the get-go, I could be wrong.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's good stir-fried with chopped bell peppers and whatever sauce you want, like soy or teriyaki. Feel free to add more than just bell peppers, of course.

TychoCelchuuu on